Andy Murray-Greastest Scottish Sportsman?

I'll throw in Alan Wells as well. Olympic champion, and silver medalist, then beat those that didn't go to Moscow.

decent call - doesn't get the credit he deserves. The BBC looked at him as if he was on another planet during the Olympics when he said "I was the last white guy to win a gold in the 100 meters".

he wasn't being rascist - just stating a fact, but the horror in the studio was palpable.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

decent call - doesn't get the credit he deserves. The BBC looked at him as if he was on another planet during the Olympics when he said "I was the last white guy to win a gold in the 100 meters".

he wasn't being rascist - just stating a fact, but the horror in the studio was palpable.

Hate that

Two grand slams so far - that puts him level with Sandy Lyle's two majors. He'll pass Sandy, but stay behind Chris Hoy for some time yet. There's probably a few others as well.

Winning multiple gold medals in a discipline where you can enter several different events in one competition puts Hoy at quite an advantage. As does riding under the most dominant cycling programme in the world. As does entering (and winning) team events with other top class riders to share the load. If you're literally just counting medals or trophies then sure, Murray falls short. If you're counting what he had to do to win them, he's among the most accomplished Scottish sports people ever. For perspective, count how many British tennis players there are in the top 1000 players on the ATP tour.

Murray asking people to vote Yes is because that's what he thought was best for his country of birth, just like a large number of Scots.

Doesn't take anything away what he's done for Great Britain, not every Yes voter hates the union.

I don't think Hoy's sport is anywhere near as competitive as tennis is at the moment. Name another cyclist in his event for instance!

Jason Kenny, I think, and maybe Jason Queally. What your question confirms is the difference in profile of the two sports and nothing else.

I think Hoy is better at the moment - Murray's poor grand slam final record - 2 out of 7 - has to count against him, while Hoy certainly had a level of longevity at the top that Murray doesn't yet have. Gold medals in Olympics over an eight year period and world championship gold medals over a longer period put Hoy ahead, imho, but it would be great if Murray could do similar.

The Nadal,Federer and Djokovic era has probably been the most competitive time in Men's tennis,so anything Murray has won he's done so against the best.

Going in to the Australian there were five max who could gave won. At the Masters there will be a lot more than five potential winners.