*** Official Snooker World Championship Thread ***

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

How in the fuck does that happen?

I still don't like anyone though but I do respect those who served.

It gets worse than that. My uncle was a para who served in Northern Ireland during the Troubles and claims to have personally arrested Gerry Adams. He grew up a Rangers fan, took my dad to his first game (my granddad was a Partick Thistle man). Then at some point during the Stein years my uncle jumped the dyke and is now a die-hard tim :dunno:

Disgrace.

5 minutes ago, JamieD said:

It gets worse than that. My uncle was a para who served in Northern Ireland during the Troubles and claims to have personally arrested Gerry Adams. He grew up a Rangers fan, took my dad to his first game (my granddad was a Partick Thistle man). Then at some point during the Stein years my uncle jumped the dyke and is now a die-hard tim :dunno:

Disgrace.

One of my cousins joined the army a season ticket holder there came out a Bear was weird.

3 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

I like it personally I like sportsmanship.

Aye, me too. I can see that it is daft, but despite that I still kinda like the gentlemanly tradition about it, whether or not snooker is actually gentlemanly.

Just now, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

I like it personally I like sportsmanship.

I like sincere sportsmanship, I appreciate the tapping the table when you admire an opponent's shot, etc, but I don't think there's anything sporting about pretending you're sorry about having some good fortune in a contest you desperately want to win, especially when you know they won't be any more sorry than you are when they get lucky in five minutes time :lol: A player almost always gifts more flukey bad shots to their opponent than they gain flukey good shots off their own cue, and the opponent never apologises to them for their good fortune in benefiting from the bad shots.

14 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Disgrace.

Where is your grandad from that he was a Thistle man?

It annoys me in tennis with shots that hit the net cord especially, because tennis players are nearly all sociopaths obsessed with winning, and they are TRYING to make shots by the narrowest margins, so pretending that it's some unfair advantage that their shot passed so low over the net that they ended up winning the point seems silly to me, they gambled by going low over then net and then they got their reward. And then they make a little apologetic gesture to some bloke who has probably spent the last week injecting testosterone in his arse cheeks :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Aye, me too. I can see that it is daft, but despite that I still kinda like the gentlemanly tradition about it, whether or not snooker is actually gentlemanly.

See I agree it's one of my favourite aspects of the game other than the actual game itself if that makes sense I love the old traditions of snooker and gentlemanly aspects of it.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Where is your grandad from that he was a Thistle man?

Dunno where he was from originally, actually. My dad grew up in Bishopbriggs and Balornock though, so him and his brothers were closer to Firhill than Ibrox. Who wants to put themselves through that though? 

5 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I like sincere sportsmanship, I appreciate the tapping the table when you admire an opponent's shot, etc, but I don't think there's anything sporting about pretending you're sorry about having some good fortune in a contest you desperately want to win, especially when you know they won't be any more sorry than you are when they get lucky in five minutes time :lol: A player almost always gifts more flukey bad shots to their opponent than they gain flukey good shots off their own cue, and the opponent never apologises to them for their good fortune in benefiting from the bad shots.

I see where you're coming from but I do think the player has a bit of sympathy for their opponent when it happens.

Particularly as it has almost certainly cost them at some point too.

4 minutes ago, JamieD said:

It annoys me in tennis with shots that hit the net cord especially, because tennis players are nearly all sociopaths obsessed with winning, and they are TRYING to make shots by the narrowest margins, so pretending that it's some unfair advantage that their shot passed so low over the net that they ended up winning the point seems silly to me, they gambled by going low over then net and then they got their reward. And then they make a little apologetic gesture to some bloke who has probably spent the last week injecting testosterone in his arse cheeks :lol: 

I absolutely hate tennis it is up there with baseball and darts for me. There slightly better than cricket but are awful imo.

1 minute ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

I see where you're coming from but I do think the player has a bit of sympathy for their opponent when it happens.

Particularly as it has almost certainly cost them at some point too.

Maybe. Maybe I'm just a cunt.

9 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Dunno where he was from originally, actually. My dad grew up in Bishopbriggs and Balornock though, so him and his brothers were closer to Firhill than Ibrox. Who wants to put themselves through that though? 

Tut tut. You should find out. I always find my family history fascinating.

My other gramps should probably have been a Thistle fan on paper, Maryhill man that he was originally.

Tutt tutt. You should find out. I always find my family history fascinating.

My other gramps should probably have been a Thistle fan on paper, Maryhill man that he was originally.

See I grew up a Bear thanks to my dear old Pappy my dads a Killie man as is my uncle and my grandpa before him.

Oh and sorry for hijacking the thread but Mark Selby may go on to dominate the game like Davis and Hendry did he is head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Tutt tutt. You should find out. I always find my family history fascinating.

My dad didn't really like him so he doesn't talk about him much :lol: 

Whenever he does mention him it's usually about how he used to send letters to Thistle managers telling them which players, formations and tactics to use. Apparently Bertie Auld used to reply when he was manager.

3 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Not sure but I like gentlemanly behaviour around the table.

I know you want too win obviously but respect and decency on the table are important too.

This.

It's the same when a player makes a foul that hasn't been noticed by the ref, like feathering the white just as they're cueing up. If the player realises they have done this then 99% of the time they will declare it. Imagine that level of honestly in football? It seems standard practice in football these days that no matter how blatant it is who touched the ball last before it goes out that both teams will put their hand up to claim it.

2 minutes ago, JamieD said:

My dad didn't really like him so he doesn't talk about him much :lol: 

Whenever he does mention him it's usually about how he used to send letters to Thistle managers telling them which players, formations and tactics to use. Apparently Bertie Auld used to reply when he was manager.

Sounds autistic or something.

Is autism genetic?

Just now, Jamie0202 said:

This.

It's the same when a player makes a foul that hasn't been noticed by the ref, like feathering the white just as they're cueing up. If the player realises they have done this then 99% of the time they will declare it. Imagine that level of honestly in football? It seems standard practice in football these days that no matter how blatant it is who touched the ball last before it goes out that both teams will put their hand up to claim it.

Marko Fu called a foul on himself the other day that left him in snookers required after his shirt brushed the ball.

You can't argue with that for sportsmanship.

Sounds autistic or something.

Is autism genetic?

I took an autism test once, and was found to be uncommonly unautistic, I'll have you know.

Which I think just means I am hyper-emotional and shite at maths.

Just now, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Marko Fu called a foul on himself the other day that left him in snookers required after his shirt brushed the ball.

You can't argue with that for sportsmanship.

Aye that's exactly how the game should be played. It probably helps that in snooker it's either a foul or it's not whereas in football opinion comes more in to it. We can have all the camera angles available to us when watching football and still debate whether someone's tackle was a foul or not but in snooker it's a lot more clear cut.

For obvious reasons here I want Higgins to get beat but I hope he starts making a game of it so there's a bit more snooker. It's not so far fetched that this tournament could be over in the next half hour.

Team Higgins for the next few frames.