24th May 1972

2 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

I don't think we would be in the full blown mode they are in .They are having a concert at the hydro led by rod stewart. A bus parade etc . They have previous for this . Look at the difference between Manchester and Seville. We acknowledge what an achievement it was and occasion but don't rip the arse out of it  . These cunts brought out DVDs and produced plays based on it . 

WIT??!!!! :britney:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first trip away without family so I made a holiday of it Train down to Prestwick and off we went. Same flight as the late Callum Kennedy; a rotten singer but a true Bear. Stayed in a hotel in Santa Susanna right on the beach with a bar at the pool, common enough nowadays but not then. The match itself was an experience I'll never forget; really out of this world.

When we got back to the hotel, the bar staff were ready for us to make a night of it and were more than happy to celebrate with us. One of them ended up with my tie. I will always remember one Bear who I swear never went to bed the whole week but wandered around in a semi-dazed state muttering "You've got to keep going".

To celebrate the 45th anniversary, I have finally got my poster framed. The cost was frightening but the shop did a real class job so it was worth every penny. I tried to post a photograph of it but it was over 2MB. Happy memories indeed.

Remember an interview with John Greig a good few years after the final.  He stated that he hadn't seen the game since ......... which is a tragedy.  I'm trying to remember the year of his interview and I'd settle at the early 1980's.  Was the technology not available?  Or was it not deemed significant enough?

3 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Remember an interview with John Greig a good few years after the final.  He stated that he hadn't seen the game since ......... which is a tragedy.  I'm trying to remember the year of his interview and I'd settle at the early 1980's.  Was the technology not available?  Or was it not deemed significant enough?

I guess he didn't have youtube back then :rofl: certainly up there now

5 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

As I stated earlier , I never got to see any of it , not even the goals till , I think , 1982 , when the bbc ran two half hour specials showing us one night and them the other . 

As SD says , back then there was no YouTube or internet so we were pretty much left at the mercy of the broadcasting authorities . 

On 5/24/2017 at 6:31 AM, BridgeIsBlue said:

For the older bears would our 55th title win eclipse Barca in 72?

No, absolutely not. Scottish Football was at it's peak late 60s/early 70s. Rangers took Bayern Munich to extra-time in 1967 in the CWC, then of course the CWC Final in 72...i was 2 right enough. My Granda (Mum's dad) was a Celtic fan and he used to tell me about how good a side Rangers were even in 67 - we finished just 3 points behind them that Season. My old man backs it up totally and to this day still says the CWC is our greatest achievement, the 9 In a Row. From me it's 9 In A Row.

I think winning a European Trophy outweighs our 55th Title when it happens. 

10 hours ago, SuperPapac05 said:

WIT??!!!! :britney:

I think the 50th Anniversary should be given the same recognition. Up to the Club to pursue it in a vigorous manner. It was a huge achievement...Rangers were among the elite of Europe. Doubtful if we'll see those heady days of yore.

7 hours ago, Dougie_B said:

No, absolutely not. Scottish Football was at it's peak late 60s/early 70s. Rangers took Bayern Munich to extra-time in 1967 in the CWC, then of course the CWC Final in 72...i was 2 right enough. My Granda (Mum's dad) was a Celtic fan and he used to tell me about how good a side Rangers were even in 67 - we finished just 3 points behind them that Season. My old man backs it up totally and to this day still says the CWC is our greatest achievement, the 9 In a Row. From me it's 9 In A Row.

I think winning a European Trophy outweighs our 55th Title when it happens. 

Worth remembering also that we hadn't played a competitive match for 25 days before that extra time final 

On 2017-5-25 at 0:16 AM, The Widow's Son said:

that was a BBC special from 1983 where highlights of Lisbon and Barcelona were shown.

greig.JPG

On 24/05/2017 at 6:01 PM, Falkirk bear said:

I was a fresh faced 18 year old who travelled down to Glasgow from Newtonmore by train then a coach to Prestwick airport, stayed at the hotel Volga in callela and we were all bussed to Barcelona and back after the match. I was behind the goals that Colin Stein and Willie Johnston scored into, wonderful memories and this may sound strange but my most vivid memory is of many Bears enjoying a singsong back the bar in our hotel Volga and the dreaded Franco's police coming in and the hotel manager basically pleading with them that there was no bother. "Strange" anyway as I type I am raising a glass to our "Beloved Barcelona Bears" and I look forward to 5 years time when we get the same adulation afforded the 50 year thing happening just now, but as the saying goes I won't hold my breath.????????????

Lucky bastard I was not even 2.   I thought Manchester would be my Barca as if we won that day we would have won the league as losing that took the stuffing out the team for the Motherwell game at fir park on the Saturday.

Was at both and was the lowest 4 days of my life and felt as thou we were cheated out the league but let's be fair Lawell and Celtic were going to Japan as soon as it finished 

Now I wonder how that tour went ? 

But most important thing about winning at Manchester was 2 European trophy to their 1 as it would have shut them right fucking up about Lisbon once and for all