Rangers Picture Thread

dacce428_o.thumb.jpeg.6680078d40bf9c9f0051c0e5ac446d06.jpeg

Tom Hamilton, Dougie Gray, Robert McCaulay, Davie Meiklejohn, Jimmy Simpson, George Brown,  Sandy Archibald, DR. James Marshall, Sam English, Bob McPhail, Jimmy Fleming.

Goal scored by DR. James Marshall (15 mins)

12 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Tin hat on, good call McGrain was a better full-back whereas Jardine was a more versatile player who had spells at RB, midfield, and center-forward.  

Both were top class . When they were in their prime as full backs (72-78 ? )  Do you think that Sandy was the better Right Back or did McGrain play on the left so that Scotland managers could accommodate the 2 of them ? I'm not sure TBH who would've got the nod if the national team had had a natural left back in the same class as those 2 . 

1 minute ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Both were top class . When they were in their prime as full backs (72-78 ? )  Do you think that Sandy was the better Right Back or did McGrain play on the left so that Scotland managers could accommodate the 2 of them ? I'm not sure TBH who would've got the nod if the national team had had a natural left back in the same class as those 2 . 

Felt McGrain was better at RB, yes McGrain was played on the left so both could play was my understanding at the time, that said neither could hold a candle to Tierney === :mutley:

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Felt McGrain was better at RB, yes McGrain was played on the left so both could play was my understanding at the time, that said neither could hold a candle to Tierney === :mutley:

Aye , How much would either of those 2 been worth mate ?  The back four of Jardine , Forsyth , McQueen & McGrain would be in the dembele price range mate :lol:  Even Levein & Strachan would have struggled to fuck up qualification with players of that calibre .

15 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Aye , How much would either of those 2 been worth mate ?  The back four of Jardine , Forsyth , McQueen & McGrain would be in the dembele price range mate :lol:  Even Levein & Strachan would have struggled to fuck up qualification with players of that calibre .

Funny all four you mention, yes they'd be worth millions each and all 4 were from the late 70's which nicely fits with what I was saying the other day about the Scottish football 'talent pool' drying up around that time.  Contrast those four with the shite we produce now, those four would all be top earners in the EPL today.   

In 1975 Scotland changed the format of our Reserve Leagues which operated from 1890 – 1975, surely the decline after the 70's is more than coincidental a fact alluded to by Kris Boyd fairly recently. Back then reserve football meant you were being 'schooled' for the real thing and playing against men fighting to get back to their respective first-teams, now its Weans vs Wains and everyone gets a participation trophy.