Rangers Picture Thread

20 hours ago, KingKai said:

So I was a kid back then and remember meeting an older friend in the street and asked him if he knew what the score had been in Spain.

He told me 6-0 for Real. I couldn't fathom this. Iknew they were good, but couldn't believe ANYBODY could beat The Rangers by that score!

I still remember that to this day.

for some reason opur forward s were all youngsters.

On 04/10/2018 at 18:24, Bobby Hume said:

:lol:

At that point in time if he had been Scottish probably yes mate .... along with Maradona  ..... I lived through the period and was about the same age then and was only relating what was pretty common knowledge back then ... a time when it seemed like everybody played football at some level or another hoping to be scouted by  Rangers or some other club.

KD  was slight and height wise relatively small ± 5'6" at the time and only developed physically after he signed provisionally for them .... he then obviously continued to develop with Cumbernauld into the less lightweight figure he would have had presented when Rangers had a look at him.

It was in the 60's and many young players with great talent were just not equipped physically to compete at the highest level due to being naturally underdeveloped .... most back then just accepted that it wasn't going to happen for them and pursued other ways of making a living ...  in those days if you were not spotted by the time you were 18 years old ... the chances were you never would .... especially at a club like Rangers where success was demanded as the normal path to follow with no time to lose on waiting for a kid to grow to his full physical potential.

Today's development for youth players is now very much the way to go as transfer prices for developed players continues to rise ... making it a wise decision by clubs to follow this route ... even with this improvement it is rarely we see the likes of a Barry Ferguson rise to first team status without years of attention to physical development to equip him with the strength to compete at the highest level in the game.

We have learned a lot over the years but as we all know ... sometimes we still don't get it and end up making decisions that we wish we could change ... our scouts back then had a policy to follow .... they missed this one ... shit happens.

:UK: 

'Arsenal missed transfer XI: Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Angel di Maria and more: The superstars who 'nearly' signed'...

It's not strictly us related, although an online article...

Ooft... see if all of that was true...

16 minutes ago, Callum_Doon said:

'Arsenal missed transfer XI: Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Angel di Maria and more: The superstars who 'nearly' signed'...

It's not strictly us related, although an online article...

Ooft... see if all of that was true...

?

Ooft! .... is probably the kindest expression for all the missed opportunities clubs have made concerning young talented players who slipped the leash and became superstars mate ....seems unthinkable but it certainly has happened.

:UK: