Third Lanark documentary 27/01/2018 9pm

Hi Gers fans

You maybe interested to know that there is a full length Third Lanark documentary on BBC alba at 9pm tomorrow night charting the history of the club from its foundation in 1872 - lots of rare archive footage in the documentary and interviews 

On another note their is a reformed Thirds founded in 2007 complete with several youth teams 5 year old to 14 year old and the coaches have been invited by Rangers as guests to come in and view training sessions of the Rangers youth teams to help enhance the training and set up of the Third Lanark youth academy teams which is a lovely gesture from the Gers and one appreciated by the Thirds Academy coaches 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fairly young so didn't really know much about their history. Was reading up on it there and it seems they were ruined by the owner. They used to get crowds of up to 40,000! Pretty incredible.

I have never been to the Cathkin park but I think I'll take a walk down one time.

1 minute ago, PolarBear1972 said:

I am fairly young so didn't really know much about their history. Was reading up on it there and it seems they were ruined by the owner. They used to get crowds of up to 40,000! Pretty incredible.

I have never been to the Cathkin park but I think I'll take a walk down one time.

It was something along the lines of... Hiddleston was the manager as well as shareholder and director, got the sack and was chased, but returned a few years later having bought a whole bunch of shares such that he was the majority shareholder. He then got rid of most of the guys involved in the Board and purposely ran the club into the ground as some kind of weird act of revenge. Died before he could be brought to book for it the way some of the other less responsible directors were... that was more or less what happened.

Think the 40k crowds only really related to OF games and such, but they were still a good size club getting good crowds.

Just now, kanjo said:

It's good to see Third Lanark tyring to re-establish themselves.  One of Scottish Football's biggest losses when they went out of business if what I read is accurate.  All the best.

Probably benefited us tbh. Suspect most would have come to Ibrox instead. 

Still horrible though.

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It was something along the lines of... Hiddleston was the manager as well as shareholder and director, got the sack and was chased, but returned a few years later having bought a whole bunch of shares such that he was the majority shareholder. He then got rid of most of the guys involved in the Board and purposely ran the club into the ground as some kind of weird act of revenge. Died before he could be brought to book for it the way some of the other less responsible directors were... that was more or less what happened.

Think the 40k crowds only really related to OF games and such, but they were still a good size club getting good crowds.

Like whyte he should have been shot for ruining a club and its fans. 

I quite like things like this so I'm going to do some research. Glad to see they have plans to be in league 2 within the next 10 years. Hopefully the council help them get their ground back up and running.

I read when Bobby Shearer  was manager the players hadn't been for 3 weeks. After giving the team talk before a game Bobby went round the turnstiles and lifted the gate money and paid the players what they were due in half crowns and 2/- bits (remember them). Disgraceful what happened with them always enjoyed games there real old fashioned ground with great atmosphere when Rangers played there.

36 minutes ago, PolarBear1972 said:

Go ASAP. I went a couple of years back and there isn't much left there at all. If you leave it too long, it will be gone completely. To.e REALLY is of the essence here. 

Get there ASAP or you will regret it for the rest of your life. 

31 minutes ago, kanjo said:

It's good to see Third Lanark tyring to re-establish themselves.  One of Scottish Football's biggest losses when they went out of business if what I read is accurate.  All the best.

Where do they play games now?? Walked through Cathkin park the other week, looked pretty erie in the low winter sun.

5 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Where do they play games now?? Walked through Cathkin park the other week, looked pretty erie in the low winter sun.

I think they still play there? I could be wrong though. Last time I was there, the pitch was in half decent nick. Not pro football standards by any stretch, but I've seen worse. 

2 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

I think they still play there? I could be wrong though. Last time I was there, the pitch was in half decent nick. Not pro football standards by any stretch, but I've seen worse. 

Never knew that, lived in the south-side for most of my life as well. Might just check them out on a Saturday if they are still going.

1 minute ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Never knew that, lived in the south-side for most of my life as well. Might just check them out on a Saturday if they are still going.

As I said, I'm not sure if it's Third Lanark who play there, but someone does. The pitch has/had its markings - centre circle, 18yr boxes etc... But it could be anyone who is using it. 

Looking at their stats, their average attendances from 1940 til 1962 went between 11k and 30k (apart from their last season and one other season). Looks like the overall average was in the ballpark of 20k, although it was generally higher in the 40s than the 50s.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Looking at their stats, their average attendances from 1940 til 1962 went between 11k and 30k (apart from their last season and one other season). Looks like the overall average was in the ballpark of 20k.

It's a big area around Govanhill, Mt Florida and Rutherglen - so easily could see such high numbers around the time. Govanhill thesedays, you would be better off starting a Rapid Bucharest side to get these sort of numbers now.

5 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

It's a big area around Govanhill, Mt Florida and Rutherglen - so easily could see such high numbers around the time. Govanhill thesedays, you would be better off starting a Rapid Bucharest side to get these sort of numbers now.

The thing is, this is when Glasgow's population was almost double what it is now, so it could support 6 top teams (QP, us, Thirds, Clyde, Thistle and sellic). I wonder if the dilution of the population partly lead to the decline of Clyde, TL and QP. Obviously other big factors were at work, but it can't have helped. 

34 minutes ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Go ASAP. I went a couple of years back and there isn't much left there at all. If you leave it too long, it will be gone completely. To.e REALLY is of the essence here. 

Get there ASAP or you will regret it for the rest of your life. 

Thanks mate.

I hear the youth teams train on the pitch but I take it you mean the stars and leaning rails are almost gone?