Gerrard & Youth

Ace

11 hours ago, Ace said:

With Gerrard spending his recent time as a youth coach & also the club previously making it known that youth is a vital part of the club moving forward, do you think that we will promote some of our current crop of u20s into 1st team squad?

He can't afford to try them out as we simply have to start winning on a consistent basis.

If any of these lads are good enough they will be thrust into the squad I'm sure, obviously they ain't up to scratch or we would have seen more of them.

11 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

The hysteria over youths is almost a weekly occurence on here. In reality, if we, or indeed any club, develop one first team regular every 2/3 years then you're doing well. Yes,you get a crop like Man Utd in the early 90's followed closely behind by Ajax 2/3 years later or the Barca team over last 5-10 years but 1 player every 2-3 years is a normal expectation -especially in Scotland!

Tbf .. I didn' suggest thst we would bring in 5 or so youth players, just posed the question if any might be brought through, considering Gerrard's youth coach credentials & also the boards commitment to the dept. 

I agree that bringing through 1 or 2 every season is regarded as a success. 

Just now, Ace said:

Tbf .. I didn' suggest thst we would bring in 5 or so youth players, just posed the question if any might be brought through, considering Gerrard's youth coach credentials & also the boards commitment to the dept. 

I agree that bringing through 1 or 2 every season is regarded as a success. 

What are Gerrads youth Coach Credentials?

Just now, Smile said:

What are Gerrads youth Coach Credentials?

18 months as youth coach at Liverpool ... I didn't say they were GREAT credentials (!!)

I want winners first and foremost. I reckon big strong athletic no nonsense sorts are the way to go.

I'm not bothered by their age, nor by whether they come from our youth pool.

Everything should come secondary to getting the type and quality of player good enough to take on and beat the scum over a season. That's all that matters.

27 minutes ago, Ace said:

18 months as youth coach at Liverpool ... I didn't say they were GREAT credentials (!!)

No one knows too much about him or what he offers, he's a massive gamble which we all hope succeeds.

20 minutes ago, Smile said:

No one knows too much about him or what he offers, he's a massive gamble which we all hope succeeds.

Probably the biggest gamble this board has made in its tenure.

Murray park was supposed to be an investment allowing us to pay lower wages to younger better players instead of paying transfer fees for players like Jack , Docherty and loads more.

we never seem to produce any talent (deemed good enough) over a long period just once a blue moon. 

Bar McCormack and maybe Adam interms of transfer fees who else has Murray park actually produced ? 

I would like to see a us pay high wages to a back bone of 5 world class players and the rest of the squad be promoted over time up from the youth system. 

With all due respect to our young boys, do we even have any capable of stepping up? 

We’ve had some amount of utter shite come through the past few years and play for us all because of fans clamouring for us to play youth. 

Guys like Hardie are horrendous footballers. 

14 hours ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Point is though mate, that’s going to need to change if we are going to stay competitive. Unless something changes with TV deals, creating sellable assets is going to be our only way for large sums of income.

Well we are going to have to do something extraordinary with our youth scheme especially as we operate in Scotland.