35 years ago today

10 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

Bradford-Fire-Disaster.jpg

☹️

I really would like to see something as impressive as this at Ibrox 

With all the names more prominent. Also a photo of the person that died .It makes it more personal and fitting for me 

BDADF2B1-DD69-49C4-BC11-DBEB05A0460C.jpeg

Remember watching the whole tragedy as it happened, live coverage of it started almost straight away,  and the flames and smoke took hold of the stand very quickly. One of those happenings, like the Hillsborough, where you watched and did not want it to be happening, knew it was really bad, yet nothing could stop it. Horrific.

Should have been a great occasion, as Bradford had won the league a week before and received the trophy before the kick off. 

The FA determined  the game, which was 0-0 after 40 minutes need not be replayed and the score stayed 0-0 official. 

That's a nice wee memorial, and the pictures give it a truly human touch, agree with @eejay the dj, would be nice to having something similar at Ibrox, 

I'm sure the club will already have some idea of their plans for the 50th year remembrance in January.

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Remember watching the whole tragedy as it happened, live coverage of it started almost straight away,  and the flames and smoke took hold of the stand very quickly. One of those happenings, like the Hillsborough, where you watched and did not want it to be happening, knew it was really bad, yet nothing could stop it. Horrific.

Should have been a great occasion, as Bradford had won the league a week before and received the trophy before the kick off. 

The FA determined  the game, which was 0-0 after 40 minutes need not be replayed and the score stayed 0-0 official. 

That's a nice wee memorial, and the pictures give it a truly human touch, agree with @eejay the dj, would be nice to having something similar at Ibrox, 

I'm sure the club will already have some idea of their plans for the 50th year remembrance in January.

Maybe I should send them my idea mate .Yet I’m sure it would cost losts of money even to do this 

Yet it would be magnificent for the families
Thank you for reminding me about the 50th .Slipped  my mind 👍

That would be a good new thread for you to start mate 
collect memories ,brainstorming any ideas etc 

You are better than me at them and ask the mods to pin it 

59 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Maybe I should send them my idea mate .Yet I’m sure it would cost losts of money even to do this 

Yet it would be magnificent for the families
Thank you for reminding me about the 50th .Slipped  my mind 👍

That would be a good new thread for you to start mate 
collect memories ,brainstorming any ideas etc 

You are better than me at them and ask the mods to pin it 

Needs highlighting on here, and possibly elsewhere, and was your great idea, :tu:.  So please start the thread yourself . Many will welcome it. 

I'm sure many on here are similarly minded. And  I'll add to it, of course.  

We have lot of issues at present, especially with the  Covid 19 one,  and our football club dealing with the SPFL fiasco. However I hope our club is indeed very aware of the anniversary too. 

Not only are there many of us who lived through that experience and have the memory, there are also those subsequently who would wish to respect the lost and the injured in a suitable fashion.

And we must of course remember the families of those directly affected and friends  who were affected,  and especially show maximum  respect to those family members and friends who are still with us and continue to grieve. 

28 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Needs highlighting on here, and possibly elsewhere, and was your great idea, :tu:.  So please start the thread yourself . Many will welcome it. 

I'm sure many on here are similarly minded. And  I'll add to it, of course.  

We have lot of issues at present, especially with the  Covid 19 one,  and our football club dealing with the SPFL fiasco. However I hope our club is indeed very aware of the anniversary too. 

Not only are there many of us who lived through that experience and have the memory, there are also those subsequently who would wish to respect the lost and the injured in a suitable fashion.

And we must of course remember the families of those directly affected and friends  who were affected,  and especially show maximum  respect to those family members and friends who are still with us and continue to grieve. 

ok mate , we will both start it at the weekend . When the dust has settled, maybe a little more after  tomorrow .

11 minutes ago, HG5 said:

But for a bit of quick thinking, my name would have been on that......

Were you in that old wooden stand?

Looking at that memorial it looks like whole families were wiped out.

57 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Were you in that old wooden stand?

Looking at that memorial it looks like whole families were wiped out.

I was & got burned a bit.

I’d been to the gents just before ht & was heading back to my seat, towards the fire, as it happened.

Turned & was looking to go back to the gents to escape the crush, but last second saw a way out down the stand so took it.

Bulk of the people who died were in there (the gents), sadly.

Lucky escape for yours truly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2020 at 22:11, HG5 said:

I was & got burned a bit.

I’d been to the gents just before ht & was heading back to my seat, towards the fire, as it happened.

Turned & was looking to go back to the gents to escape the crush, but last second saw a way out down the stand so took it.

Bulk of the people who died were in there (the gents), sadly.

Lucky escape for yours truly.

Glad you managed to save yourself pal .Tragic day for the City of Bradford .So sad that many perished this horrible way .Just to see a football match 

38 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Glad you managed to save yourself pal .Tragic day for the City of Bradford .So sad that many perished this horrible way .Just to see a football match 

Thanks mate.

Previous match I’d been to was us v sheep at the Easter, where we sat in the Copland Rd stand. Still near pristine after the development brought about by our own disaster.

First thought as I entered Valley Parade that day was to compare the state of the two grounds & wonder what would happen if there was any sort of incident here today?’.

Wasn’t long before I found out....

But, yes, tragic for all those that died & their families & friends.

Doesn’t seem like 35 years...

1 hour ago, HG5 said:

Thanks mate.

Previous match I’d been to was us v sheep at the Easter, where we sat in the Copland Rd stand. Still near pristine after the development brought about by our own disaster.

First thought as I entered Valley Parade that day was to compare the state of the two grounds & wonder what would happen if there was any sort of incident here today?’.

Wasn’t long before I found out....

But, yes, tragic for all those that died & their families & friends.

Doesn’t seem like 35 years...

Here’s me with my mate back in 1981/82

First home game with all the new stands up and in place .I’m guy on the left with blonde hair 

F827409E-38F9-414B-9800-D273003FDC71.jpeg

40 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Here’s me with my mate back in 1981/82

First home game with all the new stands up and in place .I’m guy on the left with blonde hair 

F827409E-38F9-414B-9800-D273003FDC71.jpeg

Excellent!

Hard to believe we were leading the way in stadium design & construction at that point.

Sad to see how we’ve been overtaken in that & so many other ways since.

Just now, HG5 said:

Excellent!

Hard to believe we were leading the way in stadium design & construction at that point.

Sad to see how we’ve been overtaken in that & so many other ways since.

Yes mate .I was lucky .We were crap on the park .Things were just about to change in following years ..Yet the ground developments gave us all a sense of pride .It was state of the art back then

12 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Yes mate .I was lucky .We were crap on the park .Things were just about to change in following years ..Yet the ground developments gave us all a sense of pride .It was state of the art back then

Sure was.

And you could see why the previous few years had been relatively low on success while the development was taking place.

Can’t have been easy playing to 3 stands at any given time, along with using up cash which might otherwise be spent on players.

21 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Sure was.

And you could see why the previous few years had been relatively low on success while the development was taking place.

Can’t have been easy playing to 3 stands at any given time, along with using up cash which might otherwise be spent on players.

No handouts from GCC either mate😂😂

Archived