1969 Inter Cities match vs. Newcastle

J_RFC87

These pictures found here:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...um&album=51

Our domestic season was finished by May 1969, dropped 6 points in their last 6 League games and lost the title to Celtc by 5 points.

Andy Penman penalty missed. Rangers dominated and missed a lot of sitters. The game was marred by crowd trouble, a lot of bottle throwing.

Rangers team: Neef, Johansen, Provan, Greig, Jackson, D.Smith, Henderson, Penman, Stein, Jardine, Persson

Rangers had Colin Stein suspended for the final seven games of the season. Played in all 3 home internationals after, and scored in all 3.

14th May, 1969

Fairs Cities Cup Semi Final at Ibrox

Att 75,518.

Rangers 0-0 Newcastle

May 21st (Second leg)

at St James Park Att. 60,000

Newcastle 2-0 Rangers

med_gallery_4_51_48400.jpg

med_gallery_4_51_21841.jpg

med_gallery_4_51_12996.jpg

med_gallery_4_51_37315.jpg

med_gallery_4_51_69078.jpg

med_gallery_4_51_8500.jpg

med_gallery_4_51_4639.jpg

All the pictures were taken at St James Park. Anyone got more information on this game?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we run riot that night our fans were crazy even fighting the police dogs and i remember the newcastle keeper ian Mcfaul shit himself and run away to the centre circle. :)

at the game Minstral?

yes it was crazy the two goals against us were scored by scottish players john scott and jackie sinclair.

Can you remember those scenes, those pictures?

yes i was in the crowd and bottles were coming from every angle the police never knew what had hit them the rangers support of they does were scared of nobody.

these were REAL games !! :)

Can you remember those scenes, those pictures?

yes i was in the crowd and bottles were coming from every angle the police never knew what had hit them the rangers support of they does were scared of nobody.

these were REAL games !! :)

mind coops our support then were the real billy boys and they sure knew us by our noise, that support would never have allowed the billy boys to be banned. :rolleyes:

I was only 9 then so my dad wouldn't take me but he was there. Always described it as the worst crowd trouble he had every experienced, worse than Barca 72.

On a linked subject, anyone remember the fans climbing the floodlights to see a match at Pittodrie, not long after Ibrox disaster. Remember being there but also remember it made front page headlines in the Sunday's under the heading "how's this for football safety" or something like that.

I was only 9 then so my dad wouldn't take me but he was there. Always described it as the worst crowd trouble he had every experienced, worse than Barca 72.

On a linked subject, anyone remember the fans climbing the floodlights to see a match at Pittodrie, not long after Ibrox disaster. Remember being there but also remember it made front page headlines in the Sunday's under the heading "how's this for football safety" or something like that.

Wow, cheers for that (tu)

I think I remember seeing an article on that, in picture format...I don't know if it's in my folders or in the RM gallery though unfortunatly.

no disrespect meant but thats what you call a rangers support. :rolleyes:

Bottle throwing and fighting police dogs - hardly something to be proud of though is it :rolleyes:

About as bad...but not quite... as claiming all Rangers fans are bigots.

And both fueled by drink and anger - touché (tu)

Bottle throwing and fighting police dogs - hardly something to be proud of though is it :rolleyes:

About as bad...but not quite... as claiming all Rangers fans are bigots.

And both fueled by drink and anger - touché (tu)

Yes... some people blame the drink for everything.

but at least we knew who we were rangers through and through. :rolleyes:

True....the coin throwers at Pittodrie must be die hards then (tu)

Maybe they were fuelled by drink - that seems to excuse everything

our support those days had a spine to it not like some of the do-gooders we have amongst our support who would sign away all out traditions if they could. :rolleyes:

We got crammed into the area known as the paddock, cops couldn't control the queues outside and a gate was broken down, a lot got in without tickets, lucky there wasn't a disaster. Before the game in the pubs I remember they said to us we couldn't get tumblers and they gave us the drink in bottles, a lot of windows didn't see the logic of that idea later on. Those Newcastle Brown Ale bottles were heavy fcukers in them days. Also an remember announcement over the tannoy if you come on the park again the game will get abandoned, we were gettin beat 2-0 at that time, nuff said a invasion of the park duly began. Also a few Geordie fans came on behind the goals waving their scarfs and charge of the light blue brigade began ! Ah halcyon daze indeed ! :sherlock: