Jozy Altidore

FlippinEck

want to hit into the american market, I suggest we look at this wee lad, infact, I say wee, this 18 year old is 6 FT 1 and built like a beast 12 goals in 29 games, was the youngest person to score in the MLS (beating our Beasley). One for the future anyway, the guy is talented and has Real Madrid looking at him, but of course, it remains to be seen if they will actually go for him.

Comp vid

FjfiH8ah.jpg

He's the new big thing in America right now, after Adu leaving.

He's a typical target man striker, who starred at last summer's u20 world cup. He would be a great signing especially for his age. I suggest he should join a smaller champions league club before trying to make it at a club like Real or whoever.

it shouldn't be in the too disntant future that the work permit is not a problem. he's supposed to start getting caps soon in looking ahead to the world cup, as forward is a problem for the national team.

as for the player,he has a ton of potential and has a huge build for his age. but he is also pretty good now. what you don't see from those stats is his poise. almost all of the goals that he scored in his first season, were late in the game and for the win and as new york was making it's playoff run.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the U21 world cup in canada last summer and altidore was probably the most quality on a team which honestly isn't lacking in quality. That being said altidore would not help to incrrease interest in the rangers from the United states. The main reason celtic hold a larger followin is because so many of the third and fourth generation irish who live here believe celtic is an irish team (somehow ther shamrock is like a beacon for them). The english prremire leauge is barrely gaining a foothold here and by in larrge they play a more entertaining game (although no one beats rangers).

jozy simply isn't in the cards for our club.

I watched the U21 world cup in canada last summer and altidore was probably the most quality on a team which honestly isn't lacking in quality. That being said altidore would not help to incrrease interest in the rangers from the United states. The main reason celtic hold a larger followin is because so many of the third and fourth generation irish who live here believe celtic is an irish team (somehow ther shamrock is like a beacon for them). The english prremire leauge is barrely gaining a foothold here and by in larrge they play a more entertaining game (although no one beats rangers).

I'm surprised by that. Most Irish people support Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal. Surely it's not different over there for third/fourth generation Irish people.

Also, we have loads of fans in North America. I can't see any small difference making any major financial difference to the clubs.

As for Altidore himself, he looks great. With Beasley back in the states for surgery, he should have a word with the lad. He looks an outstanding prospect.

Does anyone know Beasley's work permit situation? Did he already have one for England which applies or does his time in the EU with PSV make him a resident?

To an extent, I disagree. I honestly think that Altidore is the player that has the potential to be a break through type player for the sport here in the States. He plays at a very high level at a very young age. More importantly though, he shows great poise and has a very large body. At age 18, this guy carries himself like a true professional.

If anything is going to take the sport a step further over here, it will be an American born world class striker. And I think that the potential is there with Jozy.

America loves the young superstar.

I'm surprised by that. Most Irish people support Liverpool, Man U or Arsenal. Surely it's not different over there for third/fourth generation Irish people.

Also, we have loads of fans in North America. I can't see any small difference making any major financial difference to the clubs.

As for Altidore himself, he looks great. With Beasley back in the states for surgery, he should have a word with the lad. He looks an outstanding prospect.

Does anyone know Beasley's work permit situation? Did he already have one for England which applies or does his time in the EU with PSV make him a resident?

I think that it has more to do with the Catholic thing than anything else. At least with the Irish heritage Celtic fans that I know over here.

• 1 month later...
Guest therabbitt

DaMarcus might have been eligble because he was in Holland for so long yeah - but he has played for his country for soo long he's eligble for a work permit with ease - 3/4 of yer countries games in the last 3 years or something like that.

I remember seeing Jozy playing 2 or 3 years ago for the USA at the Milk Cup in NI, cracking player - although Dax McCarty was the stand out!!

• 4 months later...

Very good player, might normally be out of our league but I doubt whether many would have predicted Adu going to Benfica - as a long term investment it would even be worth sending him out on loan to a dutch/portugese team, maybe we need a feeder club so we can start making the most of the American football market

Beasley had a work permit from his loan to Manchester City, because he has played in dozens of international matches over the past few years. I wasn't aware he had a dutch passport, but I suppose its possible. He wouldn't have needed it in any case. The man has 72 caps at the age of 26, and has played in two world cups and a champions league semi-final. He probably would have qualified under the exceptional talent clause as well. He has started every meaningful match for the U.S. in recent memory.

Altidore is a cracking player for the future, but is still very young. As I said here a few months ago, I think he has bigger aspirations than Gers. Reading had a 4 million pound bid thrown back in their faces in disgust in January by MLS.

Adu is probably available on loan, but if DaMarcus is supposedly a "lightweight" than Adu is like a feather.

In all honesty, if damarcus is at Rangers, the MLS will probbly be more likely to listen to any offers from us that were put in, bearing in mind we play European football etc