Striking Similarities

Robbie Neilson has stated in the Evening Times that Velicka will score 20+ goals per season and that he is very like Hateley in style.

This set me thinking.

Hateley= Velicka - target man who scores reasonably well. (Both £1m)

McCoist=Boyd - the epitome of the poacher with excellent strike rate. (£185k - £400k)

Durie = Miller- hard working pacy forward with limited skill who'll run all day, but may not score many. (£1.1m - £1.9m)

Duncan Ferguson = Kyle Lafferty - young promising and towering striker who can play on the left. (Both potentially £3-4 m)

Velicka can hit 20 goals a season if he gets right service

ANDRIUS VELICKA will prove the bargain buy of the summer.

That is the view of the powerful hitman's former Hearts team-mate Robbie Neilson after the Lithuanian's £1million move to Rangers was rubber stamped yesterday.

Neilson looked on from right-back last term as the 29-year-old smashed home 14 goals in five months for the Gorgie attack before moving to Norwegian cracks Viking Stavanger earlier this year.

And he has no doubt that the Lithuanian international can elbow his way past the likes of Kris Boyd to establish himself at the top of the Ibrox hit charts.

Neilson said: "The thing about Andrius is that people will see him as just a target man sort, but that would be to under-sell his game.

"Yes, he is immensely powerful both in the air and on the deck but he is also a great finisher, has a powerful shot and is really the complete package when it comes to the modern striker.

"I think that part of Andrius' problem is that he is from an unfashionable football background in Lithuania, but believe me, in signing him Rangers have probably got themselves the bargain of the summer."

Neilson added: "The big man got 14 goals for us last season and that was for a Hearts team that wasn't exactly on fire and creating a hatful of opportunities.

"Now he is moving to a Rangers side where you have the likes of Barry Ferguson creating chances for you, and I would be pretty confident in predicting that if Andrius gets the opportunity he will guarantee Rangers 20 goals a season."

Gers gaffer Walter Smith now has an intimidating front line arsenal with Scotland duo Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo and Jean-Claude Darcheville, while Burnley striker Kyle Lafferty is expected to sign today. Daniel Cousin, for the time being, also remains in the Ibrox hit parade.

But Neilson has no doubt that his former team-mate has the quality to nail down a starting slot despite the red hot competition for places at the apex of the Ibrox attack.

He said: "I wouldn't think that Andrius would have a problem playing with either Kenny Miller or Kris Boyd if it came to it.

"I would probably say that partnering Andrius with Kenny Miller would give the best option as you would then combine mobility, pace and power.

"As for Kris Boyd, then Andrius would be more than capable of playing alongside big Boydy as he gets through a barrowload of work and is always making runs.

"He's a real handful and you have to say that Rangers are now looking very powerful in attack."

He went on: "The great thing about Andrius is his temperament. Nothing seems to faze him.

"He has scored against both Rangers and Celtic and he is an experienced international who has played against all the big sides in Europe. So Rangers have got someone who is a proven goal scorer at the highest level.

"The other thing is that although he maybe 29, Andrius is still a very hungry player he wants success bad, and now that he has landed his dream move he will give everything to make a success of his move to Rangers.

"Maybe they have bigger names in the squad, but I think that Andrius could leapfrog them and I also think that Andrius will prove a popular signing with the Rangers support.

"Rangers have always had big powerful strikers, when you look at the likes of Mark Hateley, who have done well for the club and really gone down well with the punters. Andrius is in that mould."

# Former Rangers wing-half, Dr Adam Little, has died at the age of 88.

Little, who also played for Morton, was signed by the legendary Bill Struth while still a schoolboy in Rutherglen.

His funeral takes place in Greenock tomorrow.

Robbie Neilson has stated in the Evening Times that Velicka will score 20+ goals per season and that he is very like Hateley in style.

This set me thinking.

Hateley= Velicka - target man who scores reasonably well. (Both £1m)

McCoist=Boyd - the epitome of the poacher with excellent strike rate. (£185k - £400k)

Durie = Miller- hard working pacy forward with limited skill who'll run all day, but may not score many. (£1.1m - £1.9m)

Duncan Ferguson = Kyle Lafferty - young promising and towering striker who can play on the left. (Both potentially £3-4 m)

Velicka can hit 20 goals a season if he gets right service

ANDRIUS VELICKA will prove the bargain buy of the summer.

That is the view of the powerful hitman's former Hearts team-mate Robbie Neilson after the Lithuanian's £1million move to Rangers was rubber stamped yesterday.

Neilson looked on from right-back last term as the 29-year-old smashed home 14 goals in five months for the Gorgie attack before moving to Norwegian cracks Viking Stavanger earlier this year.

And he has no doubt that the Lithuanian international can elbow his way past the likes of Kris Boyd to establish himself at the top of the Ibrox hit charts.

Neilson said: "The thing about Andrius is that people will see him as just a target man sort, but that would be to under-sell his game.

"Yes, he is immensely powerful both in the air and on the deck but he is also a great finisher, has a powerful shot and is really the complete package when it comes to the modern striker.

"I think that part of Andrius' problem is that he is from an unfashionable football background in Lithuania, but believe me, in signing him Rangers have probably got themselves the bargain of the summer."

Neilson added: "The big man got 14 goals for us last season and that was for a Hearts team that wasn't exactly on fire and creating a hatful of opportunities.

"Now he is moving to a Rangers side where you have the likes of Barry Ferguson creating chances for you, and I would be pretty confident in predicting that if Andrius gets the opportunity he will guarantee Rangers 20 goals a season."

Gers gaffer Walter Smith now has an intimidating front line arsenal with Scotland duo Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo and Jean-Claude Darcheville, while Burnley striker Kyle Lafferty is expected to sign today. Daniel Cousin, for the time being, also remains in the Ibrox hit parade.

But Neilson has no doubt that his former team-mate has the quality to nail down a starting slot despite the red hot competition for places at the apex of the Ibrox attack.

He said: "I wouldn't think that Andrius would have a problem playing with either Kenny Miller or Kris Boyd if it came to it.

"I would probably say that partnering Andrius with Kenny Miller would give the best option as you would then combine mobility, pace and power.

"As for Kris Boyd, then Andrius would be more than capable of playing alongside big Boydy as he gets through a barrowload of work and is always making runs.

"He's a real handful and you have to say that Rangers are now looking very powerful in attack."

He went on: "The great thing about Andrius is his temperament. Nothing seems to faze him.

"He has scored against both Rangers and Celtic and he is an experienced international who has played against all the big sides in Europe. So Rangers have got someone who is a proven goal scorer at the highest level.

"The other thing is that although he maybe 29, Andrius is still a very hungry player he wants success bad, and now that he has landed his dream move he will give everything to make a success of his move to Rangers.

"Maybe they have bigger names in the squad, but I think that Andrius could leapfrog them and I also think that Andrius will prove a popular signing with the Rangers support.

"Rangers have always had big powerful strikers, when you look at the likes of Mark Hateley, who have done well for the club and really gone down well with the punters. Andrius is in that mould."

# Former Rangers wing-half, Dr Adam Little, has died at the age of 88.

Little, who also played for Morton, was signed by the legendary Bill Struth while still a schoolboy in Rutherglen.

His funeral takes place in Greenock tomorrow.

One happy bear agrees with this 100% (tu)

Your optimism has no place here, I feel I may have to take action against you

Aw cmon he was only MILDLY OPTAMISTIC :lol:

a lot of good things said about him in that piece

Walter knows what he's doing, IMO he got it right with Velicka & Lafferty.

lets see how things go.

I think in 6 months time we will be happy with all signing even miller I mean look at it this way there will be allot more competion for strikers and he will need to score to be in the team I understand he wont leave him on the bench after the hassle and the monet he cost but miller will feel pressure to score goals so lets see in 6 months what we say about them all I am positive we will be happy with them.

:rangers:

As much as I disagreed with your other post on total spending, I do agree with you on this one.

Good post.

I can also see similarities between Boyd and Super, and Durie & Miller. I have only seen a little of Lafferty but from what I have heard from NI fans you are doing big Duncy an injustice with this comparison, but it is early days for the lad and he will get full support from this bear.

valid points Oleg...

Now we just need a Laudrup, Gascoigne and Gough to really get the smiles going... ;)#

Cuellar is the Gough.

Granted a Laudrup or Gazza hasn't been equalled, but Walter's best season was in 92-93 before they arrived with a workmanlike team.

Your optimism has no place here, I feel I may have to take action against you

Surely, JR, in your role as moderator, you can get this sort of positivity removed from the board, before too many people see it?

Oleg, shame on you! ;)

Sorry but the Boyd / McCoist theory falls down because McCoist was far more than a poacher. The Hately /McCoist partnership worked because both had superb movement, watching their crossover runs will live with me forever. They both had excellent link up play and worked their socks off on the pitch and both knew where to make the runs that got them into goalscoring positions.

Boyd, for all his striking ability, tends to hover in a position and hope for the ball to arrive, the reason he is known as "offside Boyd" in many circles.

Sorry but the Boyd / McCoist theory falls down because McCoist was far more than a poacher. The Hately /McCoist partnership worked because both had superb movement, watching their crossover runs will live with me forever. They both had excellent link up play and worked their socks off on the pitch and both knew where to make the runs that got them into goalscoring positions.

Boyd, for all his striking ability, tends to hover in a position and hope for the ball to arrive, the reason he is known as "offside Boyd" in many circles.

McCoist's play outside the box before Hateley arrived was comparable to Boyd's. It took Hateley's arrival to bring out that other side of his game.

You raise a very good point. However, there is more that a little validity in this response.

McCoist's play outside the box before Hateley arrived was comparable to Boyd's. It took Hateley's arrival to bring out that other side of his game.

I must confess to not knowing anything about Velicka but, just reading the various comments from other posters, has started to give me a good feeling about him. I think (hope) that he just might be the man we,re waiting for.

I would also expect to hear of some progress on a bigger name or two as soon as the European championships are over.

My gut instinct tells me that WS hasn,t finished yet. (but it is just an instinct)

I must confess to not knowing anything about Velicka but, just reading the various comments from other posters, has started to give me a good feeling about him. I think (hope) that he just might be the man we,re waiting for.

I would also expect to hear of some progress on a bigger name or two as soon as the European championships are over.

My gut instinct tells me that WS hasn,t finished yet. (but it is just an instinct)

hes a good player and should do well for us.

You raise a very good point. However, there is more that a little validity in this response.

I would agree up to a point, it was when Souness arrived McCoists game changed and he started to use his previous experience in midfield to add more to his game outside the box.

But my point was that McCoist in the greatest majority of his time with us was a far more harder working player than Boyd and always had better movement.

As a side note,he was also prepared to try to improve his play, for instance, going to a sprinting coach to improve his reaction time and short distance speed.

(tu) Well said. Sometimes I think I am the only person who has seen the improvements in Boyds game last season, drives me barmy, but, am fed up discussing it now

And Oleg, Aye, good likeness

I would agree up to a point, it was when Souness arrived McCoists game changed and he started to use his previous experience in midfield to add more to his game outside the box.

But my point was that McCoist in the greatest majority of his time with us was a far more harder working player than Boyd and always had better movement.

As a side note,he was also prepared to try to improve his play, for instance, going to a sprinting coach to improve his reaction time and short distance speed.

So, why is it that fans know boyd doesnt, yet, all the interviews with those from the club such as management and players say he does?

seriously? Dure was 10 times the player Miller was

Durie was a very unpopular alleged "headless chicken" who ran himself into the ground. He was constantly criticised for getting his head down and charging to the byline and putting in crosses of variable quality.