Quality over quantity-strikers.

Given the number of strikers at the club and the reluctance of our manager to play an attacking game, surely instead of paying £6 million for our latest 3, it would have been better to use the money for one proven quality player who could add a different dimension.

Given the number of strikers at the club and the reluctance of our manager to play an attacking game, surely instead of paying £6 million for our latest 3, it would have been better to use the money for one proven quality player who could add a different dimension.

Dunno - I give up trying to second guess Walter.

First of all, we don't know what formations Walter is going to attempt next season, we also don't know which strikers will be shown the door, he had already indicated in some reports that in the SPL at least (this was mainly around the Boydie situation) that he is hoping to get the right personnel to play a partner with Boyd.

Secondly, if we paid £6 million for one striker and that striker got crocked in his first match of the season where would that leave us, at least this way we do have more options and we don't know how they will perform under the management of Walter and especially Coisty.

Too many times certain fans are quick to jump on the bandwagon of doom and gloom when it comes to certain newspaper reports and are quick to believe every single word that is written, yet if it is something that is even remotely positive being reported in the newspapers or quoted directly from one of the management team, they are happy to dismiss this and insist it is all lies.

Why don't we just wait and see what the end of the transfer window brings us, and wait for the new season to start with regards to formations and personnel playing then we'll have a good idea of what Walter is going to attempt.

imagine we will occasionally use 4-5-1 in europe and probably the tims away,

but expect to use 4-4-2 in most games now,

I would say that's a fair assumption (tu)

And welcome to the site :)

First of all, we don't know what formations Walter is going to attempt next season, we also don't know which strikers will be shown the door, he had already indicated in some reports that in the SPL at least (this was mainly around the Boydie situation) that he is hoping to get the right personnel to play a partner with Boyd.

Secondly, if we paid £6 million for one striker and that striker got crocked in his first match of the season where would that leave us, at least this way we do have more options and we don't know how they will perform under the management of Walter and especially Coisty.

Too many times certain fans are quick to jump on the bandwagon of doom and gloom when it comes to certain newspaper reports and are quick to believe every single word that is written, yet if it is something that is even remotely positive being reported in the newspapers or quoted directly from one of the management team, they are happy to dismiss this and insist it is all lies.

Why don't we just wait and see what the end of the transfer window brings us, and wait for the new season to start with regards to formations and personnel playing then we'll have a good idea of what Walter is going to attempt.

Well, if that's our attitude we're in trouble. Never spend money on real quality - because real quality simply does cost money(in most cases) - and always rely on talent/potential/mediocrity.....that's not the way forward!

I agree with the rest of your post, don't get me wrong. I won't judge Walter and his signing policy until I see the new team play next season, I just think generally it's better to spend 6 million on one quality player that walks straight into our first team and clearly has the class to add something special to our team than on 3 decent players that may be good but also may not be much better than what we already have - especially in our situation as we already have many squad players.

But you're right, we don't know who Walter will get rid of, who else he will sign and what tactics he is going to use next season and I for one still trust his knowledge and judgment.

Well, if that's our attitude we're in trouble. Never spend money on real quality - because real quality simply does cost money(in most cases) - and always rely on talent/potential/mediocrity.....that's not the way forward!

Considering we almost won every single cup Rangers could ever realistically win last season, it suggests it is the way forward. A few more days between fixtures and we would've won them all.

We spent £4m+ on players under Advocaat and it didn't get us as far as Mcleish or Smith have taken us since.

Absolutely excellent post. (tu)

I agree with every point.

We can't play 4-4-2 effectively yet because the midfield's still p*sh.

We need to sign a quality creative midfielder before we think about 4-4-2 next season.

We need to sign a quality creative midfielder before we think about 4-4-2 next season.

totally agree, we need mobile left and right midfielders[probably beasley being one] and attacking left and right full backs who can cross a ball.

ps thanks for the welcome lads.

totally agree, we need mobile left and right midfielders[probably beasley being one] and attacking left and right full backs who can cross a ball.

We need a creative centre midfielder and a right winger. Not to mention a partner for Cuellar and a pacey right back.

This is why I cant understand us spending around £6 million on 3 strikers.

In fairness, we don't know how he'll use them. Lafferty may be used sparingly with the other 3 including Boyd, rotated and JCD and Novo as the impact subs.

Why would we spend £3M+ on a player that wont even be played regularly?

Buy Velicka for £1m and spend £5m on a quality striker. Instead we buy Miller and Lafferty who are pish.

Murray, Bain and Smith said that we will sign quality this summer. So far they are talking shite.

Buy Velicka for £1m and spend £5m on a quality striker. Instead we buy Miller and Lafferty who are pish.

Murray, Bain and Smith said that we will sign quality this summer. So far they are talking shite.

Third thread where I'm going to be repeating myself :lol: Lafferty at the tender age of 20 has already gained 16 Caps and scored 5 International goals. Played 56 times for Burnely and scored 10 goals, and the majority of those games he played on the left not as a striker. Coisty at 21 only scored 8 goals out of 56 appearances for Sunderland before we signed him and look how he turned out, and remember Coisty will be taking Lafferty under his wing. Really don't understand how anyone can call Lafferty pish when he hasn't even been given a chance.

Considering we almost won every single cup Rangers could ever realistically win last season, it suggests it is the way forward. A few more days between fixtures and we would've won them all.

We spent £4m+ on players under Advocaat and it didn't get us as far as Mcleish or Smith have taken us since.

True, when you only look at the results and not at the way we played sometimes. Our football definitely has room for improvement.

I'm also delighted that Walter is bringing in young Scottish talent and players with potential, but you also need the class and quality in the team that complements them and helps them develop and turn into great players themselves.

As I've said I believe Walter knows what he's doing and I won't condemn his actions in this transfer window until I see the team next season, least of all now after the Lafferty signing as I've never seen the guy play.

Third thread where I'm going to be repeating myself :lol: Lafferty at the tender age of 20 has already gained 16 Caps and scored 5 International goals. Played 56 times for Burnely and scored 10 goals, and the majority of those games he played on the left not as a striker. Coisty at 21 only scored 8 goals out of 56 appearances for Sunderland before we signed him and look how he turned out, and remember Coisty will be taking Lafferty under his wing. Really don't understand how anyone can call Lafferty pish when he hasn't even been given a chance.

and?

5 international goals, 3 of them in friendlies.

Call him what I like, seen him play a good number of times and have read up on him aswell on the Burnley forums.

That good that only Rangers, celtc and Wolves wanted him.

and?

Call him what I like, seen him play a good number of times and have read up on him aswell on the Burnley forums.

Celtic the same team who are currently the SPL Champions and reached the last 16 of the CL ;) If they managed that they must be better than us :rolleyes: (Even though I know they're not before anyone starts sending accusations).

So I take it because Coisty wasn't a prolific striker before he joined us he should never have been signed by Rangers at the time? It just annoys me how much he is slated before he has even been given a chance, as for scoring in the friendly internationals, so what, he still played and he still scored, and we haven't even considered the amount of assists he received for Healy's goals for NI.

and?

He's done enough to show he has some real promise already and he's not even 21.

agree with that

look at faubert,6.25 million injured within 2 games,whole season out