How important is "playing" football?

TMWWBK

Robinho or Heinze?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Robinho or Heinze?

• Robinho
    • Heinze

I was sitting watching Real Madrid TV the other night and up cropped a couple of interviews with Heinze and Robinho.

I cant remember the exact quotes but the presenter asked them how football should be won and it went like -

Robinho -

The game should be won first of all, but most of all, its how we play. We should always play beautiful football and that is what adds to the actual result. Playing beautifully adds an entertainment side to the game and thats what is important, thats what football is all about.

Heinze -

As long as we win the game, thats all i care about. I dont care if we play the ugliest football on the planet.. I want those 3 points. My trainer always taught me "3 points first, enjoyment later". Ive always been an ugly player and my trainer has always taught me that.

So who do you agree with? Im posting this as there has been ALOT of disagreement regarding the playing style of Rangers last season and i hope this may get to the end of it.

As above, "by any means necessary" springs to mind

One of my favourite memories was the filth under tommy burns, they used to play some great to watch football, and, we kept beating them! loved it!

As has been said before, winning is everything, if its good to watch, then great, but, an ugly win is better than a pretty loss

Winning first and foremost.

However, there is a balance and we haven't found that balance yet. With the amount of wasted high balls we knocked up to Lee McCulloch last season, I find it hard to accept that this style is more effective than playing a left winger that would want the ball to feet.

Particularly in europe, we can't pass teams off the park so we need the ability to 'mix it up' and be able to play it short or long. However, we currently are well short of players with the technical ability to play an effective short game. And our signings so far have certainly failed to address that problem.

With 4 weeks to go of last season I would have definitely said the 3 points anytime no matter what. At the end of the season I was left thinking we watched that crap most of the season and lost the league and the UEFA cup and felt as bad as I've ever felt losing the league. I now feel that the 3 points are ultimately the goal but we should try and entertain at the same time. Too many times we went out not caring about entertainment.

Its the SPL.

With budgets multitudes higher than the other sides in the league, it'd be a travesty if Rangers played long ball football again.

Against the bigger sides, who cares. But playing long ball against St Mirren is shocking!

Also, not only is it the Rangers way IMO to play good football but the bottom line is I'd rather see us go down fighting (as in trying to play Football in a nice way) than soak up pressure. Thats bravery, to me, trying to win and not trying to lose!

Punting it certainly didn't work last season, so why don't we keep it on the grass for a change.

Didn't do España any harm.

See the very bottom of my sig area ;)

what can you expect when you have a manager that keeps signing players that are over the hill, and does not know how to set out an attacking team, but then all you will hear is look where we were before god came in and turned us around.

A Win is a Win is Win.

3 points adds up the same when you win each week.

At our club its obvious we cant financially compete with any tier 1 comps and its becoming obvious that we are now even behind most traditional second tier leagues like Holland, Portugal, Russia and the CCC in England.

We are so far behind competing evenly with most leagues I dont give a flying FU if we play ugly and win against the best teams in the world from the best leauges in the world.

Our European adventure made me so proud and although we played defensively I didnt care.

However if we are talking about how we play against the likes of QOS, the Buddies or Motherwell then I do care how we play.

We better play with some spunk, spirit and we better boss the fuck out ouf them.

We are Rangers. You play us, you better be affraid. You come to Ibrox you better expect to be spanked and humiliated.

I want the Souness attitude without the Souness (if you know what I mean)

Unfortunately that hasnt happened for a long time.

So, I am for ugly in Europe and style in the SPL.

Arsenal went un-beaten playing good football a few seasons ago with Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg and that was great football.

They havn't just been playing good football with Fabregas etc, sometimes I feel that people just look to that era and say they havn't won anything with that squad when Henry and Viera had gone. They played some lovely football and won trophies playing that way.

Arsenal isn't that great an example IMO.