From 9IAR to this

Danny

oleg you seem happy to finish 2nd to celtic in a two horse race, as i have told you before we dont do 2nd best at our club.

So you would swap for us winning the league, with them winning two cups and getting to the UEFA final?

You see, European finals come about so rarely. I was one who said I'd play the reserves in the UEFA at the earlier stages, but getting to the final was so special, I think it was worth the gamble, but I'm certain we'll win the league next year.

Honestly, next season I would.

If it means them not winning the league I would. I can't deal with the thought of 4IAR for that mob.

Next season would be different because it's 4 rather than 3 and only one year since our last European final.

However, given an exclusive choice between the league and the UEFA Cup, which would you choose, considering that the UEFA would make us the first Scottish team to win two real European competitions.

UEFA Cup actually, on the premise that we actually saw the money we made from such a run and built a team of young, excellent players able to challenge Celtic for the next 4/5/6 years.

...but that would give them four and mean that we were only "challenging" them. We at least did that this year. I'd want to win it, even with a team of veterans, rather than merely challenge with promise.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oleg you seem happy to finish 2nd to celtic in a two horse race, as i have told you before we dont do 2nd best at our club.

So you would swap for us winning the league, with them winning two cups and getting to the UEFA final?

You see, European finals come about so rarely. I was one who said I'd play the reserves in the UEFA at the earlier stages, but getting to the final was so special, I think it was worth the gamble, but I'm certain we'll win the league next year.

Honestly, next season I would.

If it means them not winning the league I would. I can't deal with the thought of 4IAR for that mob.

Next season would be different because it's 4 rather than 3 and only one year since our last European final.

However, given an exclusive choice between the league and the UEFA Cup, which would you choose, considering that the UEFA would make us the first Scottish team to win two real European competitions.

UEFA Cup actually, on the premise that we actually saw the money we made from such a run and built a team of young, excellent players able to challenge Celtic for the next 4/5/6 years.

...but that would give them four and mean that we were only "challenging" them. We at least did that this year. I'd want to win it, even with a team of veterans, rather than merely challenge with promise.

Challenge was a bad choice of word, I really meant 'win at least 6IAR', but I'd get snipered for coming out with such pie in the sky.

Firstly, I agree wae what Danny said in the OP.

In relation to that and to other posts:

Yes, we got to 3 finals, 3 of which, we were awful.

1. League Cup Final, embarrassing, especially in that 1st half. I was nearly going to praise a DU fan on the way home, they'd played so well throughout. I sat in disbelief at the end, behind the goal, a very strange but poignant feeling.
  2. The Scottish Cup Final, I'm always willing to acknowledge that there are 2 teams and not just us in a game but to lose 2 goals to a 1st division team is just wrong. We didn't exactly breeze to that final either, Thistle and Hibs spring to mind.
  3. On the Uefa Cup Final, 2nd for me and Rangers is not good enough. While Manchester was special as we'd got there, its not something I look back and think 'Oh, there was so many folk there/it was a sea of blue outside/it was a great party, you know and we were pished - amazing!' It was a distressing end to a wonderful campaign, the final where we made subs far too late and never really made a good amount of clear cut chances. I make no apologises for saying it again but I've only seen footage of the UC final a few times but most of those times I've cried - a wonderful opportunity lost. I left the stadium and as I walked to find the car, I kept on thinking 'I came to see Barry lift the trophy and he didn't, its a wasted journey'. There were some positives of Manchester but that wasn't to do with Rangers and that didn't make it the 'wasted journey' I thought but I still stand by the sentiment.
Losing the league also, we did lose it as we had in our hands but over the course of the season, our team selection and tactics cost us the league also - over the course of the season.

Is Walter the man to take us forward? No, though he still has some time to restore my faith in him to some extent if not totally.

1. League Cup Final, embarrassing, especially in that 1st half. I was nearly going to praise a DU fan on the way home, they'd played so well throughout. I sat in disbelief at the end, behind the goal, a very strange but poignant feeling.
  2. The Scottish Cup Final, I'm always willing to acknowledge that there are 2 teams and not just us in a game but to lose 2 goals to a 1st division team is just wrong. We didn't exactly breeze to that final either, Thistle and Hibs spring to mind.
  3. On the Uefa Cup Final, 2nd for me and Rangers is not good enough. While Manchester was special as we'd got there, its not something I look back and think 'Oh, there was so many folk there/it was a sea of blue outside/it was a great party, you know and we were pished - amazing!' It was a distressing end to a wonderful campaign, the final where we made subs far too late and never really made a good amount of clear cut chances. I make no apologises for saying it again but I've only seen footage of the UC final a few times but most of those times I've cried - a wonderful opportunity lost. I left the stadium and as I walked to find the car, I kept on thinking 'I came to see Barry lift the trophy and he didn't, its a wasted journey'. There were some positives of Manchester but that wasn't to do with Rangers and that didn't make it the 'wasted journey' I thought but I still stand by the sentiment.
Losing the league also, we did lose it as we had in our hands but over the course of the season, our team selection and tactics cost us the league also - over the course of the season.

Is Walter the man to take us forward? No, though he still has some time to restore my faith in him to some extent if not totally.

good post boab. (tu)

good post boab. (tu)

I know I'll get slaughtered for saying this, but I don't think I'll ever see a run of luck like we got last season happen ever again.

Mind you, it was a refreshing change to see Rangers get some luck for a change ;)

Let's face facts here.

We reached the UEFA cup final with a hell of alot of luck...Bremen and Fiorentina should have murdered us but McGregor and Alexander were excellent.

We lost the league to possibly the worst Celtic side in years....a side we took apart 4 times last season yet still managed to lose 2..

Murray,Bain and Smith PROMISED us quality signings who would walk into the team....where are they???

It's not Lafferty,Miller,Velicka or even our target Shittu.........while we keep absolute dross like Broadfoot,Dailly,McCulloch and Adam...

We won the 2 cups.JUST against Dundee Utd(who should have won) and Queen of the fuckin south who scared us too.

We reached our first Euro final since 1972 and played for penalties straight away,short changing the hundreds of Thousands of fans who spents shit loads of cash that most of us couldn't afford to travel and see them....some travelled thousands of miles.

We need 4 quality signings before the champions league deadline or we might not even make that.

good post boab. (tu)

I know I'll get slaughtered for saying this, but I don't think I'll ever see a run of luck like we got last season happen ever again.

Mind you, it was a refreshing change to see Rangers get some luck for a change ;)

we carried luck all through the season , when our luck ran out , we had no plan B

we just stuttered to the end of the season