From 9IAR to this

Danny

When Smith took over from Souness in 1991 he continued the good work and we went onto clinch 9IAR.

His first half season here we regained solidity and stability. It seemed to be going the same way for the first half of last season. Then slowly it derailed after baffling decision following baffling decision preceded a stubborn refusal to embrace more attacking tactics.

Whatever. The point is the only other time in his career that Smith has been scrutinised and question was his relative failure at Everton.

Like his second spell at Ibrox, it wasn't a shambles, but it was well below what was needed.

Right now this isn't a Rangers team which has a clear direction. Or it does, and it favours Lee McCulloch and Kenny Miller as opposed to Alan Gow, Thomas Buffel or Kris Boyd.

This season is so important. For Barry Ferguson, Kenny Miller, SDM, and of course Walter Smith.

Never have so many important people at Ibrox been under so much scrutiny. The Uefa Cup final was glorious to get to but it was the only jewel in a pretty poor campaign overall.

And the way we're doing business this pre season doesn't inspire a lot of hope for next year.

If we win the league next year I will gleefully hold my hands up, say I was wrong, and praise Walter Smith for the demi God he will be.

I'm trying not to be too negative and finding it damn hard I'm afraid :(

How the hell is getting to a European Final, winning two cups and getting within a whisker of winning the league despite a horrendous fixture pileup a poor campaign? Seriously, how?

Hooray!

Another sensible poster!

Well said mate! (tu)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Smith took over from Souness in 1991 he continued the good work and we went onto clinch 9IAR.

His first half season here we regained solidity and stability. It seemed to be going the same way for the first half of last season. Then slowly it derailed after baffling decision following baffling decision preceded a stubborn refusal to embrace more attacking tactics.

Whatever. The point is the only other time in his career that Smith has been scrutinised and question was his relative failure at Everton.

Like his second spell at Ibrox, it wasn't a shambles, but it was well below what was needed.

Right now this isn't a Rangers team which has a clear direction. Or it does, and it favours Lee McCulloch and Kenny Miller as opposed to Alan Gow, Thomas Buffel or Kris Boyd.

This season is so important. For Barry Ferguson, Kenny Miller, SDM, and of course Walter Smith.

Never have so many important people at Ibrox been under so much scrutiny. The Uefa Cup final was glorious to get to but it was the only jewel in a pretty poor campaign overall.

And the way we're doing business this pre season doesn't inspire a lot of hope for next year.

If we win the league next year I will gleefully hold my hands up, say I was wrong, and praise Walter Smith for the demi God he will be.

How the hell is getting to a European Final, winning two cups and getting within a whisker of winning the league despite a horrendous fixture pileup a poor campaign? Seriously, how?

I agree, it wasn't a poor campaign overall, it was a great one but this season I would just accept the league

if your honest we blew the league played shite in the the three cup finals and were lucky to win 2 of them.it would be great to think we have money to spend on some good players but can we trust sdm and bain to deliver them if walter had some serious money to spend i'm confident he would buy good players like he has done in the past ie laudrup gascoingne and albertz but it just seems the money for transfer fee's is not there and even more important the money for wages is not there i think that is why we attracted great players in the past that choose us over england was the fact we payed great wages and for players today wages is the most important thing

Are we as fans being unrealistic about who we should sign for the forthcoming season, OR are we just scared because we grudgingly know in our heart of hearts that Wattie values 100% workmanship over craftmanship in a football player almost always?

100% workmanship isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can have eleven workers but still be a successful side. In Jose Mourinho's first season at Chelsea he had a side that was very clinical, very workmanlike, very organised and without a lot of flair. I thought they were brilliant but a lot of people criticised them for being unentertaining.

What worries me with Walter is that we're likely to see four central defenders across the back four, a disorganised and inconsistent midfield, a lack of pace and one up front in Europe and SPL away games against the top sides. History shows Smith doesn't build teams to send out that have a proper go at the opposition - we're better when we're up against it - and without the flair of Laudrup we could be found wanting. What he will give you is a team that will fight. We have to hope that does the job.

Im a bit worried about the 4 Cb's thing too.

Full backs in todays game are very important and we have to have someone who is and out and out fullback playing in that position. Not someone who can "play there if needed"

Gonna go a bit off topic here lads......it's called being a supporter!

A fan of a football team should always expect there to be bad times among the good times! It makes all winning all the sweeter!

One thing is for sure, Rangers will remain, and loyal fans (ie not the glory hunting type) will be there to see the team lift the league title again!

tssssssk......were none of you there in the 80's. You have all been too spoiled with the success!

if walter had some serious money to spend i'm confident he would buy good players like he has done in the past ie laudrup gascoingne and albertz but it just seems the money for transfer fee's is not there and even more important the money for wages is not there i think that is why we attracted great players in the past that choose us over england was the fact we payed great wages and for players today wages is the most important thing

Mr deluded loyal RSC!

How much did Lafferty cost again?

You want Rangers to go in for players that are interesting the English clubs......Rangers will never pay a player circa 100k/week! I despair at the likes of this post....what are you expecting???? <cr><cr><cr>

finzter your talking nonesense who said pay a 100 grand a week if we cant pay 20 we'll get nobody half descent and by the way it's walter thats interested in buying players from england i dont give a fuck were they come from as long as they are good

Because losing by a whisker or a whale's length is the same thing to our trophy cabinet.

There seems to be some stigma attached to labelling last season a poor one. I don't get it.

Not winning the league for a third consecutive year and losing a major final doesn't make it a success for me. We can take a lot from it, learn from it but and we have some great memories but not every season is going to be a successful one so there's no harm in being honest. Merely making progress isn't success unless you're really not hoping or expecting much of the Gers.

Because losing by a whisker or a whale's length is the same thing to our trophy cabinet.

It makes a big difference in your standing and what you've got to build on.

There seems to be some stigma attached to labelling last season a poor one. I don't get it.

Not winning the league for a third consecutive year and losing a major final doesn't make it a success for me. We can take a lot from it, learn from it but and we have some great memories but not every season is going to be a successful one so there's no harm in being honest. Merely making progress isn't success unless you're really not hoping or expecting much of the Gers.

It's not due to the "stigma" you assume, but rather down to facts. I'd say it was a rather good season. The bigot, O'Neill won three titles and a few cups, but most Celtic fans rate the year they won nothing but got to the UEFA Final higher, despite us winning the treble. This year we equalled that European performance, won more trophies than them and were unfairly done out of the league.

Hooray!

Another sensible poster!

Well said mate! (tu)

In a season of 4 trophies, winning (or scraping, should I say) the two that were 'bottom priority' and losing the league to Celtic for a 3rd year in a row after not turning up to the UEFA Cup Final, I really don't think we achieved what we could have done.

But I do think it's down to the SPL and the people 'upstairs' that dislike Glasgow Rangers as much as it's down to some of Walter's baffling decisions.

It's not due to the "stigma" you assume, but rather down to facts. I'd say it was a rather good season. The bigot, O'Neill won three titles and a few cups, but most Celtic fans rate the year they won nothing but got to the UEFA Final higher, despite us winning the treble. This year we equalled that European performance, won more trophies than them and were unfairly done out of the league.

This will end up going round in circles and will be fairly pointless. The last thing I'll say is that my ambitions for Rangers, and this includes reflection on a previous season, will not be influenced or impacted by the ambition Celtic fans have for their club. I would expect us to be aiming far higher than they could ever hope for and that means success is judged on a full trophy cabinet.

Hooray!

Another sensible poster!

Well said mate! (tu)

In a season of 4 trophies, winning (or scraping, should I say) the two that were 'bottom priority' and losing the league to Celtic for a 3rd year in a row after not turning up to the UEFA Cup Final, I really don't think we achieved what we could have done.

But I do think it's down to the SPL and the people 'upstairs' that dislike Glasgow Rangers as much as it's down to some of Walter's baffling decisions.

Tactically, given the options available at certain key points of the season, I trust Walter's choices.

This will end up going round in circles and will be fairly pointless. The last thing I'll say is that my ambitions for Rangers, and this includes reflection on a previous season, will not be influenced or impacted by the ambition Celtic fans have for their club. I would expect us to be aiming far higher than they could ever hope for and that means success is judged on a full trophy cabinet.

Would you have been happier to have exited Europe at the CL group stage, won no Cups, but scraped the league?

Or would you swap our season for Celtic's?

Hooray!

Another sensible poster!

Well said mate! (tu)

Tactically, given the options available at certain key points of the season, I trust Walter's choices.

Apart from the 1-1 at Hibs that cost us the league, you're probably right.

Would you have been happier to have exited Europe at the CL group stage, won no Cups, but scraped the league?

Or would you swap our season for Celtic's?

oleg you seem happy to finish 2nd to celtic in a two horse race, as i have told you before we dont do 2nd best at our club.

oleg you seem happy to finish 2nd to celtic in a two horse race, as i have told you before we dont do 2nd best at our club.

So you would swap for us winning the league, with them winning two cups and getting to the UEFA final?

You see, European finals come about so rarely. I was one who said I'd play the reserves in the UEFA at the earlier stages, but getting to the final was so special, I think it was worth the gamble, but I'm certain we'll win the league next year.

It's not a case of being happy to finish 2nd. It's a case of having some perspective.

So you would swap for us winning the league, with them winning two cups and getting to the UEFA final?

You see, European finals come about so rarely. I was one who said I'd play the reserves in the UEFA at the earlier stages, but getting to the final was so special, I think it was worth the gamble, but I'm certain we'll win the league next year.

Honestly, next season I would.

If it means them not winning the league I would. I can't deal with the thought of 4IAR for that mob.

If it means them not winning the league I would. I can't deal with the thought of 4IAR for that mob.

Next season would be different because it's 4 rather than 3 and only one year since our last European final.

However, given an exclusive choice between the league and the UEFA Cup, which would you choose, considering that the UEFA would make us the first Scottish team to win two real European competitions.

It's not a case of being happy to finish 2nd. It's a case of having some perspective.

you dont mind getting to a european final and having a go instead of playing for a shoot out.

Next season would be different because it's 4 rather than 3 and only one year since our last European final.

However, given an exclusive choice between the league and the UEFA Cup, which would you choose, considering that the UEFA would make us the first Scottish team to win two real European competitions.

UEFA Cup actually, on the premise that we actually saw the money we made from such a run and built a team of young, excellent players able to challenge Celtic for the next 4/5/6 years.

you dont mind getting to a european final and having a go instead of playing for a shoot out.

Spot on

One thing that still pisses me off, Is that we never had a go in the Uefa Cup Final :angry2:

We did at the start of the 2nd half but got caught on the break.