Are WE the people?

KingKai

Too many older bears critising and leaning on the games in the past who don't go to the games today.

what you should remember is some older bears cant go to the games because some of us have to look after sick people, plus others have been priced out of the game. just remember lots of us have given our lives to the club we love. also remember that you will get old one day and not be able to attend the games, but it does not make you any less of a bear that can afford to go or has no sick people to look after.

I realise some of the older bears can't make it to the games anymore for one reason or another but there is a lot of "In my day...." talk and that's fair enough. The problem I have is sometimes the older folks can be a little condescending towards the younger folk because they used to attend game "way back when". Not pointing any fingers but it does happen. I think everybody ahs to show a little more respect to each other in here.

As for the uber-Prod stuff. I've never had a problem with Rangers Protestant roots and singing of songs such as The Sash or Derry's Walls. As I said earlier in the thread Protestantism did great things for Scotland. A very small minority though take it over the top. These are the ones brissybear calls uber-Prods but I think a more appropriate term is pseudo-Prod. People who probably never have been to a service or whatever you call it in Protestantism (I'm agnostic so have no idea) but who decide that Rangers Protestant roots should equate to a hatred of Catholics, so they just indiscriminately call anyone who they don't like a fenian bastard as they mistakenly also equate fenianism with all Catholicism.

I once said that I was watching Falkirk play at this bar and some drunken lout was just yelling fenian bastard at everyone of their players. What has that got to do with Rangers or football for that matter? It was only the one guy in this instance but the problem is that he's wearing a Rangers jersey and the vocal minority sometimes gives the decent majority a bad image. Mosesmcneil has blown this out of proportion a bit I think. I don't avoid the bar because there is the occassional idiot yelling abuse at people. I'm not particularly offended by it personally I'm just concerned it makes us look bad to people outside of our support. It's not like I'm just targeting Rangers supporters either, after all I've had my share of being called a "dirty h**" over here by Celtic supporters, I just expect more from our support.

Brissy, a better response, more measured, this is NOT how you came across earlier on or in other threads, I now understand where you are coming from, you came across as typecasting or generalising if you will, many a decent and true bear. You talk about respect, how can you expect respect in return when you suggest you will run rings around people, arrogance in such a form does not engender respect, merely fosters resentment. If you are as intelligent as you believe then I think you should reconsider your attitude to some bears on here.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many older bears critising and leaning on the games in the past who don't go to the games today.

what you should remember is some older bears cant go to the games because some of us have to look after sick people, plus others have been priced out of the game. just remember lots of us have given our lives to the club we love. also remember that you will get old one day and not be able to attend the games, but it does not make you any less of a bear that can afford to go or has no sick people to look after.

I realise some of the older bears can't make it to the games anymore for one reason or another but there is a lot of "In my day...." talk and that's fair enough. The problem I have is sometimes the older folks can be a little condescending towards the younger folk because they used to attend game "way back when". Not pointing any fingers but it does happen. I think everybody ahs to show a little more respect to each other in here.

As for the uber-Prod stuff. I've never had a problem with Rangers Protestant roots and singing of songs such as The Sash or Derry's Walls. As I said earlier in the thread Protestantism did great things for Scotland. A very small minority though take it over the top. These are the ones brissybear calls uber-Prods but I think a more appropriate term is pseudo-Prod. People who probably never have been to a service or whatever you call it in Protestantism (I'm agnostic so have no idea) but who decide that Rangers Protestant roots should equate to a hatred of Catholics, so they just indiscriminately call anyone who they don't like a fenian bastard as they mistakenly also equate fenianism with all Catholicism.

I once said that I was watching Falkirk play at this bar and some drunken lout was just yelling fenian bastard at everyone of their players. What has that got to do with Rangers or football for that matter? It was only the one guy in this instance but the problem is that he's wearing a Rangers jersey and the vocal minority sometimes gives the decent majority a bad image. Mosesmcneil has blown this out of proportion a bit I think. I don't avoid the bar because there is the occassional idiot yelling abuse at people. I'm not particularly offended by it personally I'm just concerned it makes us look bad to people outside of our support. It's not like I'm just targeting Rangers supporters either, after all I've had my share of being called a "dirty h**" over here by Celtic supporters, I just expect more from our support.

Brissy, a better response, more measured, this is NOT how you came across earlier on or in other threads, I now understand where you are coming from, you came across as typecasting or generalising if you will, many a decent and true bear. You talk about respect, how can you expect respect in return when you suggest you will run rings around people, arrogance in such a form does not engender respect, merely fosters resentment. If you are as intelligent as you believe then I think you should reconsider yor attitude to some bears on here.

You've confused me with the other guy, brissybear (don't worry it happens a lot). I think he pretty much is trying to make the same point as me it just comes off a bit wrong. I've never made any claims to being able to runs rings around the people on here in a debate nor do I assume I'm anymore intelligent than the posters in here.

Brissy, a better response, more measured, this is NOT how you came across earlier on or in other threads, I now understand where you are coming from, you came across as typecasting or generalising if you will, many a decent and true bear. You talk about respect, how can you expect respect in return when you suggest you will run rings around people, arrogance in such a form does not engender respect, merely fosters resentment. If you are as intelligent as you believe then I think you should reconsider yor attitude to some bears on here.

You've confused me with the other guy, brissybear (don't worry it happens a lot). I think he pretty much is trying to make the same point as me it just comes off a bit wrong. I've never made any claims to being able to runs rings around the people on here in a debate nor do I assume I'm anymore intelligent than the posters in here.

You are right enough it is Brissy Bear I have a real issue with. Sorry Mate.

haha, your gonna get that a lot I reckon man

:lol: I know. I agree with a lot of the other brissy's points regarding Rangers but sometimes his comments seem to be quite inflammatory as I come in here occassionally to post and am suddenly subjected to abuse from other posters who confuse me for him and have no idea why :craphead:

:lol: I know. I agree with a lot of the other brissy's points regarding Rangers but sometimes his comments seem to be quite inflammatory as I come in here occassionally to post and am suddenly subjected to abuse from other posters who confuse me for him and have no idea why :craphead:

To make it easier you have your pic in your profile and a sig Brisseybear does not, posters should look before firing off angry responses. I also think the attitude of a lot of Bears/Bearette outside the UK is bound to be different. I am an older Bearette went to games in the good old days (sang some songs) but since moving to the States I have let a lot of that go as it's not on my daily radar. That does not for one minute make me less of a true Rangers fan. We just need to agree to disagree about certain issues and stop the deliberate taunts that are dividing the board. WATP all of us.

To make it easier you have your pic in your profile and a sig Brisseybear does not, posters should look before firing off angry responses. I also think the attitude of a lot of Bears/Bearette outside the UK is bound to be different. I am an older Bearette went to games in the good old days (sang some songs) but since moving to the States I have let a lot of that go as it's not on my daily radar. That does not for one minute make me less of a true Rangers fan. We just need to agree to disagree about certain issues and stop the deliberate taunts that are dividing the board. WATP all of us.

well said that Bearette :clap::clap:

If Brissybear wasn't such a pretentious argumentative mope we wouldn't have any problem (tu).

If Brissybear wasn't such a pretentious argumentative mope we wouldn't have any problem (tu).

Seems that ignoring him would better serve then. I didn't realize you where the RM appointed spokesperson either, we all are allowed to express our views even you and me. :gerbad:

Seems that ignoring him would better serve then. I didn't realize you where the RM appointed spokesperson either, we all are allowed to express our views even you and me. :gerbad:

Well it does seem more than one person has a problem with him , Therefor " we " is correct. Doesn't nescesarry mean I was including you.

Well it does seem more than one person has a problem with him , Therefor " we " is correct. Doesn't nescesarry mean I was including you.

ok! thanks sweetie I'm sure they well let us know their views. (tu)

what i will say is that i have put my life into following the club, and still go to the odd game if my son treats me, and there is someone to look after my good lady. even as i grow older i still get the same buzz when i enter the ground and i shed the years and become young once again, and what rangers mean to me grows stronger and stronger, and thats why we will always be the people.

what i will say is that i have put my life into following the club, and still go to the odd game if my son treats me, and there is someone to look after my good lady. even as i grow older i still get the same buzz when i enter the ground and i shed the years and become young once again, and what rangers mean to me grows stronger and stronger, and thats why we will always be the people.

If anything I think it means more to you when you can't go as often. I still remember the incredible feeling of going to my only game at Ibrox back in 1997. Sucks sometimes living thousands of miles away from the team you love, especially in a country that doesn't appreciate the sport as much as they should.

If anything I think it means more to you when you can't go as often. I still remember the incredible feeling of going to my only game at Ibrox back in 1997. Sucks sometimes living thousands of miles away from the team you love, especially in a country that doesn't appreciate the sport as much as they should.

Couldn't agree more :clap:

Well said Minstral.

Are WE the people?

NO

explain please

the support today seems to be more whimps than our past/older followers of the 70's 80's ect

support has no balls to self defend

Are WE the people?

NO

explain please

the support today seems to be more whimps than our past/older followers of the 70's 80's ect

support has no balls to self defend

im 1 of these older guys but im not sure this is what poster means

Guess. Im getting old.

Its my birthday Monday..shit...

I posted earlier that the first game I was at was 1964...but I loved Rangers before then.

My dad wasnt really into going to see games..but I was lucky that my friends dad was a Rangers follow follow man, and took myself along with his own son.

I guess my time was the late 60's...and all through the 70's.

I endured the Stein era at the piggery , and remember sitting on the terracing at Ibrox through some games..yes sitting..it was that sparse.

The internet is a great thing.

I can now find out about all these games I went to..the crowds, and who scored etc .

What I dont know though..is who was there.

Yeah..my pals were there...

We always went in a crowd, like 10-15 of us from school, in the 70's.

But..when we played the bheggars...that was different.

There were THOUSANDS of us..all as one.

Hampden.....Ibrox..the Piggery...

You were up on your mates shoulders..or held up on the stanchions.....hoisting a Union Jack...everyone around steadied you..THEY wanted the flag shown too. ALL around wanted the flag shown.

If we scored against the Bheggars, EVERYONE around went mental..We were ONE!

So..whats my point?

My point is...

WE are Rangers.

EVERYONE on here has a love for this team from Ibrox.

Having watched the team through the mid to late 60's and all through the 70's, and understanding what its like to be in a 100,000 crowd, jam packed in the Rangers end, I find it hard to comprehend how I see fellow bears at odds over our Protestant heritage.

The latest was the McCoist Charity issue.

Whether you like it or not, Rangers fans in the 60's and 70's were 99.9% Protestant.

We had Pastor Jack there ( God Bless him) selling his paper, and we all sung Dolly's Braes....and goddamit.. we hated the IRA

Thats who we were.

Yes..times have changed.

We have probably played a complete team of RC's, for all I know, in the blue of The Rangers.

I bet they played for the jersey though.

I find it difficult to read posts from what I think is probably a younger generation criticising, and trying to berate older bears for their 'religious' views.

Be grateful they are here.

They, or we, are the previous generation of follow follow boys... why do you castigate, and berate?

I know if I was younger and had the internet, I would have been amazed that i could find out first hand what it was like to follow The Rangers in the 30's etc.

I might even have had some respect.

Yeah..rant over...

We Are The People...we always have been.

We always will be.

Loud And Proud Mate, Loud And Proud ! Keep up the good work Brother ! (tu):sherlock:

Guess. Im getting old.

I posted earlier that the first game I was at was 1964...but I loved Rangers before then.

My dad wasnt really into going to see games..but I was lucky that my friends dad was a Rangers follow follow man, and took myself along with his own son.

I endured the Stein era at the piggery , and remember sitting on the terracing at Ibrox through some games..yes sitting..it was that sparse.

I can now find out about all these games I went to..the crowds, and who scored etc .

You were up on your mates shoulders..or held up on the stanchions.....hoisting a Union Jack...everyone around steadied you..THEY wanted the flag shown too. ALL around wanted the flag shown.

So..whats my point?

My point is...

WE are Rangers.

Having watched the team through the mid to late 60's and all through the 70's, and understanding what its like to be in a 100,000 crowd, jam packed in the Rangers end, I find it hard to comprehend how I see fellow bears at odds over our Protestant heritage.

Whether you like it or not, Rangers fans in the 60's and 70's were 99.9% Protestant.

We had Pastor Jack there ( God Bless him) selling his paper, and we all sung Dolly's Braes....and goddamit.. we hated the IRA

Thats who we were.

Yes..times have changed.

We have probably played a complete team of RC's, for all I know, in the blue of The Rangers.

I find it difficult to read posts from what I think is probably a younger generation criticising, and trying to berate older bears for their 'religious' views.

They, or we, are the previous generation of follow follow boys... why do you castigate, and berate?

I know if I was younger and had the internet, I would have been amazed that i could find out first hand what it was like to follow The Rangers in the 30's etc.

Yeah..rant over...

We always will be.

Loud And Proud Mate, Loud And Proud ! Keep up the good work Brother ! (tu):sherlock:

its a shame lots of the younger fans have missed the best days of following our club.

Guess. Im getting old.

So..whats my point?

My point is...

WE are Rangers.

Thats who we were.

Yes..times have changed.

Yeah..rant over...

We always will be.

its a shame lots of the younger fans have missed the best days of following our club.

minst the best days are still ahead mate

keep believing

Guess. Im getting old.

So..whats my point?

My point is...

WE are Rangers.

Thats who we were.

Yes..times have changed.

Yeah..rant over...

We always will be.

minst the best days are still ahead mate

keep believing

hope you are right for my sons and grandson, would love them to see the glory days come back for their sake. (tu)