Calzaghe: "I am sick to death of him [Froch] drumming up free publicity for

Boab

Joe Calzaghe says there is no chance of him coming out of retirement to fight WBC super-middleweight king Carl Froch.

Nottingham's Froch renewed his long and bitter pursuit of 37-year-old Calzaghe after Saturday's stunning 12th-round win over Jermain Taylor in Connecticut.

But Newbridge's Calzaghe, who ended his stellar, unbeaten career in February, says he was unimpressed by Froch, 31.

"I wouldn't fight the guy even if I did come out of retirement, which I won't do," he told the South Wales Argus.

Froch, who has won all his 25 fights, said after Saturday's late comeback victory that he would "smash Calzaghe, if he gets his backside out of his armchair".

But the Welshman, who claims that Froch baulked at a fight with him several years ago, said that the champion was nothing but a "stalker".

"I am sick to death of him [Froch] drumming up free publicity for himself by using my name," Calzaghe, who won all 46 fights in a 15-year career, told the Argus.

"No-one who watched the fight with Taylor can believe he is in my class.

"For the first eight rounds he was like a goalkeeper with no defence, he was being outclassed and outfought by a middleweight who has seen better days.

"To be honest it would be frightening what I could do to him if we fought, he doesn't seem to realise that holding your hands up and defending yourself is a pretty vital part of boxing.

"I couldn't motivate myself knowing how easily I could beat him and possibly hurt him badly.

"He knows he's got limited options for the future because guys like Mikkel Kessler would destroy him."

Calzaghe's father and trainer Enzo echoed the views of his son and suggested that Froch should be targeting rising Welsh star Nathan Cleverly.

"That would be a cracking fight and Nathan would possibly have too much class for him," said Enzo Calzaghe.

"Froch can't protect himself and Nathan could exploit that. Froch says he's a legend but the only legend from Nottingham is Brian Clough."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8023186.stm

Calzaghe is trying to come across as confident in recent remarks about Froch. IMO he simply doesnt fancy this fight. he knows he is well past his best now and that there is a minority chance that Froch could blast him out of there and he doesnt fancy the risk. It is decsisions like this that mean Joe Calzaghe will never be up there with the all time greats because for 10 years he fought Tomato Cans in the UK defending his Warren Boxing Organisation title and never fought the best out there. An undefeated record means nothing unless you consistently mixed it with the best for example Oscar De La Hoya. Ended up with around 6 losses on his record but look at the quality he met in the ring.

Calzaghe is trying to come across as confident in recent remarks about Froch. IMO he simply doesnt fancy this fight. he knows he is well past his best now and that there is a minority chance that Froch could blast him out of there and he doesnt fancy the risk. It is decsisions like this that mean Joe Calzaghe will never be up there with the all time greats because for 10 years he fought Tomato Cans in the UK defending his Warren Boxing Organisation title and never fought the best out there. An undefeated record means nothing unless you consistently mixed it with the best for example Oscar De La Hoya. Ended up with around 6 losses on his record but look at the quality he met in the ring.

Obviously he doesn't fancy the fight as he's retired, can't make it down to Super Middleweight, Froch isn't good enough boxing wise and we don't know how Froch's power will hold up at Light Heavyweight. He was being outboxed by Taylor before he got tired, Calzaghe would win a very dominating decision.

Froch should target the best fighters at his weight division such as Kessler or Bute, not retired fighters who were fighting at a different weight.

Obviously he doesn't fancy the fight as he's retired, can't make it down to Super Middleweight, Froch isn't good enough boxing wise and we don't know how Froch's power will hold up at Light Heavyweight. He was being outboxed by Taylor before he got tired, Calzaghe would win a very dominating decision.

Froch should target the best fighters at his weight division such as Kessler or Bute, not retired fighters who were fighting at a different weight.

(tu)

I feel some sympathy towards Calzaghe as when he was really on his game 5/6 years ago, nobody major wanted to take him on cause they knew he'd win. It was only towards the end of his career he started getting the recongnition he deserved. Which is a shame.

Carl Froch couldn't lace Joe's boots.

To be honest I would like to see the fight but for Froch there are some much more exciting fights out there. I can count exciting Calzaghe fights on one hand. Only ones that spring to mind are Eubank and Kessler and maybe Byron Mitchell.

Is Froch that bad that all he wants to fight are people who are retired?

Well, Calzaghe had his biggest fights with 2 people that should have retired a long time before they fought him, so why should Froch not follow suit!

Interesting interview with Joe from a few years ago that confirms why he waited until RJJ was shot to 20% of the greatest fighter of the era that he once was:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/articl...Joe+/article.do

As an aside, I reckon that following the Taylor fight, Froch is 1 big name fighter away from match Joe's legacy (ie 2 live prime fighters).

For what it's worth, had Joe attempted to fight the pre 2003 beast that was Roy Jones Junior, Roy would have obliterated him in a round! A prime Roy would have finished the job that the shot Roy almost did in the 1st!

That is why Joe will never be a true hall of famer, as he waited until his peers were finished before even contemplating fighting them.......and why shouldn't Froch with him?

Is Froch that bad that all he wants to fight are people who are retired?

Well, Calzaghe had his biggest fights with 2 people that should have retired a long time before they fought him, so why should Froch not follow suit!

Interesting interview with Joe from a few years ago that confirms why he waited until RJJ was shot to 20% of the greatest fighter of the era that he once was:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/articl...Joe+/article.do

As an aside, I reckon that following the Taylor fight, Froch is 1 big name fighter away from match Joe's legacy (ie 2 live prime fighters).

For what it's worth, had Joe attempted to fight the pre 2003 beast that was Roy Jones Junior, Roy would have obliterated him in a round! A prime Roy would have finished the job that the shot Roy almost did in the 1st!

That is why Joe will never be a true hall of famer, as he waited until his peers were finished before even contemplating fighting them.......and why shouldn't Froch with him?

But Hopkins and Jones weren't retired and Calzaghe is, I don't see your point. There is no chance of the fight and he is wasting his time.

Kessler is better than Taylor IMO and would stop him but I don't think Froch's legacy is at Joe's level yet. Joe's legacy isn't great but it's better than Froch's who has only had two world title fights. Calzaghe beat a very good Hopkins and dominated Jones Jr even though they were past their best.

Calzaghe's chin was a lot better at Super Middleweight so I think he would have lasted longer than a round. He might not have beaten him but RJJ was unstoppable at that time.

Because Calzaghe is retired and Froch is being deluded if he thinks they will fight. I've said it before but Froch should fight Bute or Kessler.

But Hopkins and Jones weren't retired and Calzaghe is, I don't see your point. There is no chance of the fight and he is wasting his time.

Kessler is better than Taylor IMO and would stop him but I don't think Froch's legacy is at Joe's level yet. Joe's legacy isn't great but it's better than Froch's who has only had two world title fights. Calzaghe beat a very good Hopkins and dominated Jones Jr even though they were past their best.

Calzaghe's chin was a lot better at Super Middleweight so I think he would have lasted longer than a round. He might not have beaten him but RJJ was unstoppable at that time.

Because Calzaghe is retired and Froch is being deluded if he thinks they will fight. I've said it before but Froch should fight Bute or Kessler.

I think the way that Hopkins systematically destroyed Kelly Pavlik makes Calzaghe's win seem even more impressive. Hopkins is still a class operator.

I'd love to see Froch v Kessler, as Froch's laxed attitude to blocking and Kessler's bombs would make for interesting viewing!

I think the way that Hopkins systematically destroyed Kelly Pavlik makes Calzaghe's win seem even more impressive. Hopkins is still a class operator.

I'd love to see Froch v Kessler, as Froch's laxed attitude to blocking and Kessler's bombs would make for interesting viewing!

Exactly, Hopkins makes a lot of fighters look bad with his style and Calzaghe should get a lot of credit for the win.

Froch v Kessler would be great. ALthough Kessler would win IMO, Froch would definitely be in with a chance and the fight would be a Fight Of The Year contender.

Exactly, Hopkins makes a lot of fighters look bad with his style and Calzaghe should get a lot of credit for the win.

Froch v Kessler would be great. ALthough Kessler would win IMO, Froch would definitely be in with a chance and the fight would be a Fight Of The Year contender.

In my opinion, Kessler's career will be directly linked with how Calzaghe is remembered! For example, is Kessler goes on to be a great. then Calzaghe's biggest victory (not many more good names on his record in their prime) will be big news!

If however, Kessler ends up being another Lacy, then who would Joe's marquee victory be over? A completely shot RJJ, a 44 year old man or a past it Eubank? Doesn't read too clever does it!

He couldn't live with Calzaghe. All he's doing is try to get a big pay day. There's been a bit of talk lately about him fighting either Kessler or Hopkins. I doubt he would beat any of them.

In my opinion, Kessler's career will be directly linked with how Calzaghe is remembered! For example, is Kessler goes on to be a great. then Calzaghe's biggest victory (not many more good names on his record in their prime) will be big news!

If however, Kessler ends up being another Lacy, then who would Joe's marquee victory be over? A completely shot RJJ, a 44 year old man or a past it Eubank? Doesn't read too clever does it!

Is this not the same "44 year old man" that went on to beat the best middle weight in the world?

Is this not the same "44 year old man" that went on to beat the best middle weight in the world?

The same "Best middleweight in the world" that jumped 2 weights to fight him! Pav's 'best middleweight' in the world claim is on the back off 2 wins over Taylor, making CF's win over Taylor something good also using that logic!

Pavlik was exposed by Bhop as a 1 dimensional hype job (despite him managing to overpower Taylor), much the same way as Lacy was by Joe. Both Pav and Lacy are products of the US fans trying to create a superstar, rather than them being bona fide superstars! Watching those fights, it is clear to see that neither had the fundamentals to back up the hype - much the same as Lennox with Michael Grant.

Also, using your logic, that fact that Taylor twice defeated a younger BHop, makes Froch's victory over Taylor more impressive anyway!

The old cliche: styles make fights!