Club may take legal advice over Romanov comments

Ibroxblue

The man's a 24-carat mentalist, no two ways about it.

I think his apparent ravings are actually cynical and calculated.

They probably are cynical and calculated...just that they're shown up for the absolute gash that they are by way of the printed media.

This guy maybea lunatic but he is a very smart lunatic. He is hoping that by saying this he will get the smaller clubs in the SPL against the Old Frim as they are always going on about how the refs are biased towrds us. He is also hoping the there will be dispute between the two Old Firm clubs and the SFA on the matter. Basically he is trying to put the SPL into turmoil so that it will gloss over the situation he has created at Hearts. Seems very calculated abnd sly to me but maybe he is just insane and doesn't have a clue. Doubt it though.

This guy maybea lunatic but he is a very smart lunatic. He is hoping that by saying this he will get the smaller clubs in the SPL against the Old Frim as they are always going on about how the refs are biased towrds us. He is also hoping the there will be dispute between the two Old Firm clubs and the SFA on the matter. Basically he is trying to put the SPL into turmoil so that it will gloss over the situation he has created at Hearts. Seems very calculated abnd sly to me but maybe he is just insane and doesn't have a clue. Doubt it though.

Well looks like it has not worked. Jim Jefferies, of all people, has been swift in coming forward to disagree completely with Romanov's statements.

Well looks like it has not worked. Jim Jefferies, of all people, has been swift in coming forward to disagree completely with Romanov's statements.

Yes but i heard John Hughes on Clyde and he said that the refarees were certainly different when at one of the Old Firm's grounds. He didn't exactly condem the statement. Jim Jefferies is a good guy and i would never expect him to say anything else. It os some of the other managers i am thinkng about more.

Yes but i heard John Hughes on Clyde and he said that the refarees were certainly different when at one of the Old Firm's grounds. He didn't exactly condem the statement. Jim Jefferies is a good guy and i would never expect him to say anything else. It os some of the other managers i am thinkng about more.

You may have a point, BITC, if Hearts can realign their remarks to look less like a slur on Scotland. As it stands, he's not just talking about a few corrupt refs, he's also saying that in Scotland underhandedness is the norm, players are taking bungs to throw games etc etc. I think few Scots will get behind that, even if it does benefit their team to some degree.

Couldnt give a f*ck what Romanov says, there are more important things for Murray and Bain to worry about. Back the club over this but they never seem to do it when more important things happen.

Romanov denies corruption claims

Romanov is no stranger to controversy

Hearts' Vladimir Romanov has insisted that he was misquoted by a newspaper that suggested he accused the Old Firm of "buying off" players and referees.

Celtic and Rangers are consulting their lawyers about the comments printed in the Russian magazine Futbol.

But Hearts' majority shareholder told his club website: "I don't expect anything except lies and distortion of my quotes.

"Thank God I haven't come across any corruption in Scotland."

Interview: Celtic chairman Brian Quinn

Interview: Agent Gary Mackay

But Romanov appeared to have another swipe at Celtic, who have recently signed Steven Pressley and Paul Hartley after the Scotland internationals left his club.

"To my mind, there are no values in this life that are worth betrayal, even if we're talking about hooped shirts," he said.

"If kids are being pushed towards betrayal, I call it seduction, but seduction of their souls." If the comments are confirmed, it is a matter we would refer to the club's lawyers and the SFA

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain

Romanov had been quoted by the Russian newsapaper as accusing some Hearts players of undermining former stand-in coach Eduard Malofeev by working for rival clubs from within Tynecastle.

Pressley, Hartley and goalkeeper Craig Gordon, who reportedly met Romanov for showdown talks on Thursday after being dropped from the Hearts side, had in October revealed "significant dressing-room unrest" at Tynecastle.

"What we call underhandedness, they call the norm," Romanov was quoted as saying about the British by the Russian magazine.

"For them, it's just normal to betray your home club, hold talks behind each others' backs."

Romanov has an interest in Lithuanian club Kaunas, but he was also quoted as saying that Scottish football is more corrupt than in his adopted homeland.

"And the referees," added Romanov. "If a team is weaker, then no-one can help them, but if they're equally matched then the referee can have a real influence on the outcome.

"Dodgy's not the word for it.

"I myself went there in the hope of avoiding all the sleaze we're so used to over here.

"I thought it was all clean, by the book, all gentlemen. It turns out it's much worse."

Of the Old Firm, he reportedly said: "They've just turned football into showbusiness with their underhand games, paying off players.

"What we call underhandedness, they call the norm."

Romanov is currently involved in a legal dispute with the Scottish FA after he appealed a fine for accusing Scottish referees of bias last season.

And it is likely that the Scottish FA will also be looking into the latest comments.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain told BBC Scotland: "If the comments are confirmed, it is a matter we would refer to the club's lawyers and the SFA."

Celtic chairman Brian Quinn told BBC Radio Four: "I think it is absurd. Absolutely ridiculous. If he is saying this, I will take legal advice."

And he added on the Today programme: "The Scottish Football Association will clearly take a clear view of this."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/6364051.stm