Has a deal been done to sell Rangers FC?

I was told be a source who has, in the past, been very reliable, that a deal has been done by the Minted One to sell his shares in Rangers FC.

There were several names mentioned and for reasons of accuracy and legality I don't wish to divulge them here, however the list looked impressive and one in particular intrigued me no end.

Yes, the guy who turned the club around in the early 1980's and has never, to this day, denounced his love of Rangers FC.

A not-so-well-known Glasgow businessman was mentioned (industrial pumps?) also a well known car dealer of some repute in this parish (both bluenoses) and lastly, the words "Middle East money" was thrown in for good measure.

I'd heard this list (or similar) over the last few months and would have dismissed them as speculation/rumour/fantasy but for the fact that my source wouldn't pass it on if he wasn't sure..........secondly, a couple of weeks back I was told by another source who works in the financial sector that the words "due diligence" and "Rangers books" were being used in the same sentence...............again!

Rumour, speculation, fantasy, wet dream........or, is it really about to happen?

If it does, you heard it here first.

If it doesn't....................don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger.

:)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if due diligence was being performed then we'd have all heard about it by now - considering the cost to the person submitting the request.

Names like McColl and Park as well as other high net-worth bears are always going to crop up when consortium rumours appear but I think it is mainly wishful thinking in the absence of anything concrete. Over the last couple of years, we've had alleged Arab and Canadian money thrown into the mix but again it seems these rumours are nothing more than that.

As such, while these threads are good fun on occasion, I think if people want to debate the issue, then we need a bit more than generic ifs and buts.

PS: You can tell me the full story on Saturday... ;)

I think if due diligence was being performed then we'd have all heard about it by now - considering the cost to the person submitting the request.

Names like McColl and Park as well as other high net-worth bears are always going to crop up when consortium rumours appear but I think it is mainly wishful thinking in the absence of anything concrete. Over the last couple of years, we've had alleged Arab and Canadian money thrown into the mix but again it seems these rumours are nothing more than that.

As such, while these threads are good fun on occasion, I think if people want to debate the issue, then we need a bit more than generic ifs and buts.

OK, it's a date. :party:

PS. Who was the OP of this one of FF?

Just curious.

This is what he said 3 days ago

I suppose by writing this, I am putting myself up for ridicule, but here goes anyway.

Today, I met a friend / source who works in Ibrox and he told me that Rangers will be in new hands by the beginning of next week. The rumours about Souness' involvement are true and the consortium involved includes Douglas Park and sons.

Sorry, can't name source, but he is in a very prominent position and you will all know him :cool:

Some guys arrive at Ibrox and start looking at the books. Oh, it's the bank, everyone is told. They're now getting involved in running the place.

Perhaps it's not the bank and it's due diligence? It wouldn't necessarily need to have hit the press. These things are usually kept very hush hush.

Not that I believe the rumours though.

Could it be that, the press do have wind but are waiting to break the story!

I agree with all that is being said, like I said in a thread earlier, a realible source, close to Durrant and Smith! hence all confusion over new deals etc, it is believed whoever come in is happy to role with the current regime but do want a few changes on the park! no one is saying we are getting a Man City like takeover with a bottomless pitt to spend but we wont be so skint put it that way?

Could it be that, the press do have wind but are waiting to break the story!

I agree with all that is being said, like I said in a thread earlier, a realible source, close to Durrant and Smith! hence all confusion over new deals etc, it is believed whoever come in is happy to role with the current regime but do want a few changes on the park! no one is saying we are getting a Man City like takeover with a bottomless pitt to spend but we wont be so skint put it that way?

Eh you said a canadian billionare was buying us...that's quite the bottomless pit.....

I seriously doubt both rumours......

Perhaps it's not the bank and it's due diligence? It wouldn't necessarily need to have hit the press. These things are usually kept very hush hush.

If due dilligence was being observed then there would be an accepted offer on the table. Trust me, it wouldn't be hush hush.

If due dilligence was being observed then there would be an accepted offer on the table. Trust me, it wouldn't be hush hush.

We'll need to agree to disagree on that. I've seen deals like that being kept very quiet in the past. :)

For any of you financial types,

When a company is taken over, what are the rules on any debt? Does all debt have to be cleared?

If true, I hope the clearout begins today (it should if Bain is doing his job) and we get rid of the 10 or so wasters in our squad, before we get any money to spend.

Frankie, I'm confused.

As I hadn't been on their site recently I've just trundled through 12 (yes, twelve) pages of a post on FF which covers this topic - and not once did I see the name McColl from Weir Pumps mentioned.

His was one of the names I had been given (I didn't mention him) I'm just curious why you used it here?

As Souness himself once told my source..........."there are no secrets in football".

First name that sprung to mind when i read your post and i have never heard this rumour......

Interesting.

Until Saturday (when I was told of this) his name was completely unknown to me - the car dealer guy yes, everybody knows DP, but the McColl guy was out of left field (to use baseball parlance). ;)

Like I say - 12 pages (and counting) on FF and no mention of him - it was all Park, Park, Park, Souness and Park (a Smith defence if ever I saw one - five at the back) :(

We'll need to agree to disagree on that. I've seen deals like that being kept very quiet in the past. :)

When was the last football club sold that you hadn't heard about in the media for weeks prior to the deal concluding?