Takeover rumour

Never in a million years will it happen any time soon. No one has any money to throw away at us. We are already 25 million in debt and the cost of buying the club itself as well as the investments needed to improve the club.. I think that its wishfull thinking that a knight in Arab armour will come and save us..

Never in a million years will it happen any time soon. No one has any money to throw away at us. We are already 25 million in debt and the cost of buying the club itself as well as the investments needed to improve the club.. I think that its wishfull thinking that a knight in Arab armour will come and save us..

i thought that as well

but the new rumour doing rounds is that souness and his consortium are only planning to get a minority stake but put in maybe 20mill

just to help the club out

the only reason i take interest is that im sure souness still has gers shares does he not, would make sense to the guy to try anything out to help the club

i thought that as well

but the new rumour doing rounds is that souness and his consortium are only planning to get a minority stake but put in maybe 20mill

the only reason i take interest is that im sure souness still has gers shares does he not, would make sense to the guy to try anything out to help the club

No, Souness sold his shares back to murray when he left.

Why would anyone give Rangers £20m just to help out?

Anyway, for that amount of cash you could come close to buying a controlling interest.

i thought that as well

Anyway, for that amount of cash you could come close to buying a controlling interest.

the 20mill isnt just to "help out" it is to buy a share of the club, but not a majority share

and as for 20mill buying a controlling interest, that would make rangers worth just over 40mill, no chance as murray would want around 40mill for just a controlling stake if you as me

only way murray would sell the club "cheap" is if its an outright buyout where the new owner clears the debt etc

i thought that as well

the 20mill isnt just to "help out" it is to buy a share of the club, but not a majority share

and as for 20mill buying a controlling interest, that would make rangers worth just over 40mill, no chance as murray would want around 40mill for just a controlling stake if you as me

only way murray would sell the club "cheap" is if its an outright buyout where the new owner clears the debt etc

Souness should bring back the moustache

i thought that as well

What makes you think Murray values the club at more than £40m? I don't believe that the club is worth a lot more than that as it stands. I'm sure that you are right that Murray wouldn't sell a controllling interest for £20m, but that doesn't mean that's not roughly what it's worth.

I also don't understand why anyone would put in £20m for a minority holding. It's been shown that a minority holding in Rangers will lose a lot of its value.

How is this going to happen? Rights issue?

The lack of any real transfer news, or any news in fact, coming out of Ibrox makes you wonder what's going on.

I've heard the Souness rumour along with several others.

Sir David working with the smokescreens and mirrors again?

• 3 weeks later...

The rumour is that the Souness consortium will buy rangers and invest £100mil in total. Our 1st transfer target will be david trezeguet for 10mil and the debts will all be taken care of, say this does happen (which it wont) we will win the league easily and probably with/without celtic move to england or create a british reserve league.

The rumour is that the Souness consortium will buy rangers and invest £100mil in total. Our 1st transfer target will be david trezeguet for 10mil and the debts will all be taken care of, say this does happen (which it wont) we will win the league easily and probably with/without celtic move to england or create a british reserve league.

This is a lovely dream, I doubt it would happen, but to have Mr Souness as the chairman of the club would be bloody marvelous, he'd wipe the floor with the press, and that lot over in the east... You can but dream!

Aye riiiight!

:lol: 10M for trezeguet? :rolleyes:

I really detest this time of year with all these pish rumours flying around.

Ok - this rumour is probably rubbish and even if were true, why would we spend 10M on a single player who is 31?

BUT - there is a constant assertion on this forum that "nobody would want to invest in Rangers/Scottish football". Is that actually true?

By and large there are two types of football club owner - those who put their money in for prestige, not expecting to make any return - Chelsea and Man City would be the obvious examples, and those who are intending making money out of football such as the Glazers or Hicks and Gillett.

As far as I can see, the owners of Man Utd and Liverpool have only generated further debt since they took over those clubs, despite both teams being world famous, playing in one of the World's richest leagues and being involved in the latter stages of the CL every year.

It appears, therefore, that it is NOT possible to make any money out of owning a football club so the main reason to invest is for prestige. For this type of owner, I don't really see why Rangers would be as unattractive as many people seem to think.

For example - say I was a rich investor looking to spend 100M to buy a club. I could buy Newcastle for that. That would get me a team in the second tier of English football and a poor squad of players. I would need to put in another 50M just to get the team up to the EPL. After that I could easily blow another 100 - 200M over the next few years and still not win anything or get into one of the CL places.

For 100M I could buy Rangers, clear the debt and still have enough left over to allow the team to dominate Scottish football for the next decade. I would get to swan around Europe every year in the CL and see my team win (domestic) trophies every year in front of a packed crowd. I could also use the team to promote my other interests around the world as Rangers have a worldwide supporters network.

Are we really such a bad prospect?

Ok - this rumour is probably rubbish and even if were true, why would we spend 10M on a single player who is 31?

BUT - there is a constant assertion on this forum that "nobody would want to invest in Rangers/Scottish football". Is that actually true?

By and large there are two types of football club owner - those who put their money in for prestige, not expecting to make any return - Chelsea and Man City would be the obvious examples, and those who are intending making money out of football such as the Glazers or Hicks and Gillett.

As far as I can see, the owners of Man Utd and Liverpool have only generated further debt since they took over those clubs, despite both teams being world famous, playing in one of the World's richest leagues and being involved in the latter stages of the CL every year.

It appears, therefore, that it is NOT possible to make any money out of owning a football club so the main reason to invest is for prestige. For this type of owner, I don't really see why Rangers would be as unattractive as many people seem to think.

For example - say I was a rich investor looking to spend 100M to buy a club. I could buy Newcastle for that. That would get me a team in the second tier of English football and a poor squad of players. I would need to put in another 50M just to get the team up to the EPL. After that I could easily blow another 100 - 200M over the next few years and still not win anything or get into one of the CL places.

For 100M I could buy Rangers, clear the debt and still have enough left over to allow the team to dominate Scottish football for the next decade. I would get to swan around Europe every year in the CL and see my team win (domestic) trophies every year in front of a packed crowd. I could also use the team to promote my other interests around the world as Rangers have a worldwide supporters network.

good points there, but who?

Spot On

It's like Gazprom wi Schalke and Zenit

Ain't ever gonna win the CL but they get massive coverage in Eastern Europe and in Germany.

For the 50m they throw at it every year it's prob the same as a good long running ad campaign.

We need to accept change will happen. We might get bought by a Multi-National. We might become the Total Ibrox Stadium.

Might annoy some but if it safeguards the clubs long term future and delivers domestic dominance with the odd hurrah in the CL quarters then fine by me.

I value our tradition but right now it ain't paying the bills.

Couple of weeks back we had a lotto prize of $A90M in OZ and believe if I had won it I would have invested $A20M in Rangers. So if small fry like me could do why not someone with serious money. As has been said we may not be the richest club but as for prestige, history and worldwide fans, its possible.

Couple of weeks back we had a lotto prize of $A90M in OZ and believe if I had won it I would have invested $A20M in Rangers. So if small fry like me could do why not someone with serious money. As has been said we may not be the richest club but as for prestige, history and worldwide fans, its possible.

Could you not just pay us in pounds sterling as australian dollars dont work over here?

You make some good points there, actually. I'm not holding my breath on any takeover, but as you say you would need to put in far less money to make Rangers a success than you would for an English team.

Should say; "If I had a spare £100M to write off and another spare £100M I was willing to lose over the next 10 years I could buy Rangers etc"

The spl is a financial drain, a backwater of football and it will get worse. Owning a spl club, including a club with our fanbase and history, is not a business opportunity that would appeal to any businessman. If someone does want to throw away money like that please let me know because I have a large number of stones in my garden that I would be willing to let go for £10k for packs of3, or £25k for packs of 6.