Rangers to abandon SPL for huge cash windfall?

FlippinEck

In the aftermath of Setanta’s collapse, Glasgow giants Rangers and Celtic are believed to be exploring the possibility of selling their television rights independently.

The issue of independent versus collective selling is one that spans Europe. In Spain, where rights are sold individually, Real Madrid and Barcelona garner hundreds of millions of euros, while smaller clubs struggle to find partners. Italy appears set to move away from that structure towards the collective selling model operated in England and Germany. Crucially, though, the major clubs in those countries know they are collecting a slice of a huge pie; Manchester United collected UK£90 million in broadcasting revenue in the 2007/08 season, while the Italian league’s collective agreement is worth US$6.9 billion over six years.

In contrast, even Setanta’s agreement with the SPL was worth just UK£125 million (US$204.5 million) over four seasons. Rangers and Celtic, well aware of their commercial appeal, know that they could attract close to the total amount in a deal involving just the two of them - and split it two ways instead of 12.

Another alternative, that the clubs join the English Premier League, continues to be touted. Celtic controlling shareholder Dermot Desmond predicted in 2003 that the Old Firm would be playing in England by 2008. It is yet to happen, but Setanta’s collapse has brought it closer than ever.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/notes_and_in..._cash_windfall/

Not a very reliable source? but interesting nonetheless, one of my mates from work said aberdeen would say yes to this but would want a payout for each match

The structure of the SPL means this will always be a dream. Tere'd need to be a 10 to 2 majority in favour. Can't see the smaller clubs goin for it. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas afterall

Rangers or celtic dont need other clubs permission to do this, ive been saying for ages rangers should do this. They sell al their games to say, sky and rangers make a big profit while the teams we play get a small percentage. Whats to stop the other teams getting a cheaper deal with say, the bbc or stv.

Rangers or celtic dont need other clubs permission to do this

They do while they're in the SPL.

This is true, but of course the old firm are basically 99% of the commercial appeal of any rights the SPL have. Rangers and Celtic could walk away and sell their rights individually or together or whatever and there's nothing the top tier of Scottish football could do about it.

Although they'd have to give a bit of notice really as if they were to do it next season then there'd need to be financial mechanisms for the next 2/3 years to support the other teams as some sort of buffer. But they could walk away from the SPL no problem if they felt it was prudent and the other clubs would just have to lump it, basically.

Nope, set up a new body with a fairer TV deal for the Old Firm and invite SPL teams into it. A wee stipend for them to sweeten the deal. Which is more than they'd get from their own TV deal.

Nope, set up a new body and invite people into it. A wee stipend for them to sweeten the deal. Which is more than they'd get from their own TV deal.

and if doesnt get approved by the SFA UEFA, fearful of creating a precedent then what?

It'd be the same as creating the SPL wouldn't it - obviously you'd have to be a bit more diplomatic than what I posted above, but our financial problems this season coupled with the ridiculously small amount we get from TV just now have pretty much convinced me that we need to start playing hardball and stop subsidising teams from small villages like Hamilton.

Why should a club the size of us deal with fucking £1m a season?

It'd be the same as creating the SPL wouldn't it - obviously you'd have to be a bit more diplomatic than what I posted above, but our financial problems this season coupled with the ridiculously small amount we get from TV just now have pretty much convinced me that we need to start playing hardball and stop subsidising teams from small villages like Hamilton.

Why should a club the size of us deal with fucking £1m a season?

If Rangers were to try and play hardball then the rest would do whatever it took to bring us down or make things hard for us.

Well they'd be fucking themselves over too. We need to renegotiate the TV deals to be fairer on the old firm as it's just a farce the way it is. No-one is interested in Hamilton. Like pretty much literally no-one!

If we can't do it through the SPL then we'll need to get together with the Tims and set up a new structure where we hold more cards. Complex negotiations right enough but we can do it, as surely everyone knows that all the money from the TV comes because of the old firm? We possibly nearly went into administration this season! Fucking Rangers!

if aberdeen are willing to join the old firm regarding tv deals then the 3 should combine together and fuck over ANYTHING voted for by the other 9

then without ANY tv deal the SPL will have to resort to allowing clubs to negotiate their own tv deal as without the SPL on TV the current people that put money into the SPL sponsership wise will want a significant reduction due to lack of media exposure for their product

and there comes more money for the old firm

if we negotiated our own deals with foreign countries etc then our sponser would be willing to pay more as their products are on show WORLD WIDE rather than just the british isles

What seems to be missed by everyone is that for us to sell our rights we need the other teams to agree - say we are playing Aberdeen we would need to give them a share of the TV cash so they could be shown on our rights - because they have 'rights' to.

The Old Firm are the appeal - but to play and show other teams, individually needs there permission - so it may as well be done collectively - afterall the old firm teams are shown the most as it stood and therefore get the lions share of the deals anyway.

Can't see this happening IMO. We need a competitive league, we need the other teams.

When was the last competitive league in the SPL ?

Don't get me wrong I get the point you're making but it'd be even less competitive if we started railroading teams into TV deals that meant they would be even worse off than they are now. Could be wrong I spose but it's either make a decision and bolt, or stay and try to make things better

Can't see this happening IMO. We need a competitive league, we need the other teams.

When was the last competitive league in the SPL ?

Don't get me wrong I get the point you're making but it'd be even less competitive if we started railroading teams into TV deals that meant they would be even worse off than they are now. Could be wrong I spose but it's either make a decision and bolt, or stay and try to make things better

(tu)- i know mate its a connundrum (spelling????)