Will Murray pull a rabbit out of his hat and give us a big name signing?

MisterC

Ok so as unlikely as it seems given the clubs financial position and what has been said about having to sell players should a good enough offer come in but would it be beyond the realms of possibility for us to maybe sign someone who is a fairly big name? I mean I'm not talking someone who is right at the top right now and would cost silly money but someone who has maybe lost their way a wee bit and slipped down the pecking order at a club or is at a club who maybe need to get shot of players to fund a signing or because they need to sell to keep the bank happy.

I have nobody in particular in mind but I suppose its not been onkown for Murray and Smith to get someone who has some stature in the game or as I say has lost their way and wants a challenge or perhaps one of that rare breed of players-someone who would rather play in the champions league and win trophies than be in a mid table at best club.

The money situation is obviously a factor but who knows maybe Murray may dip his hands in his pockets again and finance a deal, a player who may help get us to the next level, the size of the squad will be trimmed even further and one or two players may be signed, if they are signed I like to think Smith would think big rather than sign another 'squad' player.

This is very fanciful thinking but when it comes to Rangers I am always optimistic and always do my best to believe, I hope we do get someone good, will be amazed if it happens but I suppose its not out of the question completely, but it comes down to who we can get, if anyone, and how much we have.

Thoughts?

what kind of rabbit ye talking about here theres to kinds at rangers

A Sebo / Daily / McCulloch RABBIT :craphead::praise:

Or

A Davis / Majic / Cuellar Rabbit :gerbad:

What will it be

but hopefully there will be a decent big named signing this season

Ok so as unlikely as it seems given the clubs financial position and what has been said about having to sell players should a good enough offer come in but would it be beyond the realms of possibility for us to maybe sign someone who is a fairly big name? I mean I'm not talking someone who is right at the top right now and would cost silly money but someone who has maybe lost their way a wee bit and slipped down the pecking order at a club or is at a club who maybe need to get shot of players to fund a signing or because they need to sell to keep the bank happy.

I have nobody in particular in mind but I suppose its not been onkown for Murray and Smith to get someone who has some stature in the game or as I say has lost their way and wants a challenge or perhaps one of that rare breed of players-someone who would rather play in the champions league and win trophies than be in a mid table at best club.

The money situation is obviously a factor but who knows maybe Murray may dip his hands in his pockets again and finance a deal, a player who may help get us to the next level, the size of the squad will be trimmed even further and one or two players may be signed, if they are signed I like to think Smith would think big rather than sign another 'squad' player.

This is very fanciful thinking but when it comes to Rangers I am always optimistic and always do my best to believe, I hope we do get someone good, will be amazed if it happens but I suppose its not out of the question completely, but it comes down to who we can get, if anyone, and how much we have.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean here. When has he dipped his hands in his pockets to finance a deal in the past? Any money he has put into the club has been through rights issues, giving him an inceased shareholding in th club. He has never personally financed the signing of any player.

His ambition is not what it was but then he has realised that with the paltry TV we receive its not sustainable for us to be the relatively massive spenders we were in the 1990s. Perhaps too his thinking will be to show potential investers that Rangers is a club that well known players will consider playing for and therefore are a more glamorous club than to take over some run of the mill English club who are never going to win anything anyway and therefore the money they are investing is not going to finance a relegation escape job rather to finance the winning of league and glamour nights in the champions league

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean here. When has he dipped his hands in his pockets to finance a deal in the past? Any money he has put into the club has been through rights issues, giving him an inceased shareholding in th club. He has never personally financed the signing of any player.

Well he has sanctioned the splashing of the cash and maybe he may just want to make a classic Murray signing as he did with Colin Hendry, you know the type of signing that an ego boost for him. Think he once called it giving the manager a present.

Can only live in hope but doubt it, I think Murray's passion for the club is long long gone! Like I say murray has a personal fortune of say 800 million and we are in dire straights an having to sell the squad because we are due the bank 20 odd million! why not then just dipp in and clear the debt, sell the club and say thank you and goodnight! But he doesnt do that so why would he even bother go out and buy a David Trezeguet type player so I suppose the answer is NO!

Can only live in hope but doubt it, I think Murray's passion for the club is long long gone! Like I say murray has a personal fortune of say 800 million and we are in dire straights an having to sell the squad because we are due the bank 20 odd million! why not then just dipp in and clear the debt, sell the club and say thank you and goodnight! But he doesnt do that so why would he even bother go out and buy a David Trezeguet type player so I suppose the answer is NO!

Have to say its that thread that got me thinking about whether we may get someone who is available and is a fairly big name and obviously I know we arent going to get a huge huge name we may get someone who is respected and well known in Europe. As I say it comes down to who we sell and who becomes available at the right price. It is wishful thinking I dont deny that but no harm in hoping.

That's not how a football club or a chairman should operate

We can only dream of an Abramoivch or an Abu Dhabi-like deal pops up.

Thoughts?

Well he has sanctioned the splashing of the cash and maybe he may just want to make a classic Murray signing as he did with Colin Hendry, you know the type of signing that an ego boost for him. Think he once called it giving the manager a present.

Yes but it is not his own cash he is splashing and the debts we face are increasing (as is the cost of servicing these debts). The bank will have more of a say on what we can spend than SDM will.

Its not quite as simple as that.

Who are the buyers? How do you know they will be better?

Are you sure his worth 800 million? Maybye his assetts are, but he has a duty to protect them. Just dipping in and taking 20 mill from somewhere may cost people thier jobs.

I think , as mentioned earlier, the kind of rabbits I want pulled out of hats are reasonably priced players identified by our manager to go on to prove themselves invaluable to the club (such as boogie or cuelluar.

I don’t want a “big name” signing as we simply can’t afford it and don’t have the wage structure to support it. If we were signing big name players they would need to be young and be able to be sold on at a profit, that’s the only model that makes any sense for our club right now.

i wouldnt mind signing some decent YOUNG players who we can sell on for a profit in a couple of years, the Market is flooded with good talented players its just a shame we wont take any risks due to the financial climate.