Do we have a link with Liverpool?

Godot

Read in the 60's Everton were known as the Irish club and Liverpool were known as the Proddy side. The Kop was supposedly slang for 'King Over Pope'. Some Tims became gloryhunters when Liverpool started winning things.

Anyone know much about this connection? Thoughts?

No we are not a Proddy club nor are we Catholic.

There's never anything like that going with Liverpool and Everton.

There once was.

"Everton was founded in 1878 as St Domingo's and was originally a Methodist church football team. Everton was a big hit with the Roman Catholic Irish sailors who often found themselves in Liverpool because of the big docks.

Liverpool FC was founded by John Houlding who fell out with Everton over rent issues regarding Anfield which was at the time Everton's ground. The Protestants then flocked to LFC."

Not that it was ever like Glasgow but a lot of english clubs have a sectarian past Man C are catholics (see Paul Calf) for instance.

It is something that never rears its head in my experience of going to english games.

Is Liverpool FC Catholic or Protestant?

Answer

liverpool was traditionally more protestant up to the 1970s.but that link has died out with lots of players from the republic playing for the pool!and also there has beeen a massive increase of irish liverpool supporters since then!also some scouse fans including myself would prefer to be more associated with celtic than rangers.

However more recently Liverpool has become the primary Catholic club of England. Most of the back room staff are Catholics and most of the playing staff as well. It seems to suggest that Liverpool are more interessed in signing the Catholics and getting them into their flanks. It is what is supprising with the hillsborough tradgy memorial service as the protestant bishop is runs the service, although most Catholics in England now take that Liverpool is the Catholic club of England. Also throughout the United Kingdom, the majority of the other services take place in Catholic churches, as the history of the club has changed from its methadist, then to protestant and now most nutoreous as a Catholic club which has now become world wide in its religious .....

Of course the second papagraph is complete nonsense written by some poor bogoted catholic who wishes Liverpool FC were a Catholic club.Truth is ,Liverpool sign players and backroom staff on ability,not religion.To employ anyone because of thier religion is illegal,and to suggest Liverpool FC engage in this type of bigotry is a complete nonsence.

Liverpool were formed from St Domingos Methodist church by an Irish Protestant and orangeman.The club itself never leaned towards any religion,however historically,the Liverpool fanbase came from Liverpools protestant/Unionist background.This was very prevalant right up until the 1990s with many loyalist/Unionist symbols displayed at Anfield by Liverpool supporters.

With peace in Northern Ireland over the past 10 years or so,religion or political affialation means less and less to most people,Nowadays you will not only see Ulster Flags (Red Hand) displayed ,but a growing number of Irish Flags as people of a Catholic background feel more confident of supporting Liverpool.

Liverpool are known worldwide for their football ability ,as one of the worlds most successful and most supported clubs and for no other reason. Especially the Catholic Religion.

:sherlock:

Sorry I can't deal with misinformed cunts. I hope these aren't the views of most Rangers fans who I always though to be decent.

Oh well.

So you deny Heysel then? Ok :rolleyes:

Not at all. But to hear us being called murderers is going too far.