What are the finest graphics around?

Danny

Totally subjective thread, there's no right or wrong answer, but what game do you believe boasts the finest visuals that you've yet seen?

Personally, Crysis Warhead PC, GTA 4 on the PC, Grid PC, Mirror's Edge PC are all up there in my book.

The trailer for GT5 PS3 looks extremely impressive too I concede.

Assassins creed is up there IMO.

I can't fucking wait for the second installment, looks fantastic. Sounds more like a GTA styled mission system they're going to use which would be far better.

Also eve online on max looks beautiful now.

To be honest, next-gen graphics haven't impressed me as much as i thought they would on the overall front, there have been some games that are decent quality, but generally alot of them are what i expected PS2 graphics to be (when i first saw, what i now know, was pre-rendered graphics for the PS2, back in like what 1999/2000?) obviously what PS2 graphics became is not what i expected next gen to be, but i'm reffering to when i saw the pre-render trailers for GT3 and FFX back in the day!

So PS4 graphics will probably be what i was expecting for PS3, haha.

Anyway, to the question at hand, i'd have to agree with you about GT5, Gran Turismo graphics have always impressed every console they have been on, (even for PS1 at the time).

Gran_Turismo_5_Prologue_PS3.jpg

Final Fantasy 13 again, i agree looks great, and it might be the first FF i've played in quite a while, i miss the good old days of getting home from school and cracking straight into FF7 (I'm sure Jadams does too)

I think Fallout 3 has the potential to have immense graphics on the PC with top notch gear, sadly the PS3 port is a bit of a fail graphically compared to what i've seen from some top range PC screenshots! Danny, you have the PC version if i remember rightly?

I'd have to also say Metal Gear Solid 4 is up there, not perfect mind, but it's pretty good, not just texture wise, but animation and lighting too.

What is bugging me about alot of PS3 games is the fact they are 720p, rather than 1080p, i hope future games will end up all being made for full 1080p, to really max out the potential the system has, because as of yet, i don't think any game has REALLY tested it, Metal Gear Solid 4's graphics were de-graded just so that it'd fit onto one disc (noteable in watching early trailers, and then later trailers/final game), to be honest, i'd much rather it was 4 discs with twice as good graphics, than 1 disc with half as good.

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patr.jpg

Apparently 720p often looks better that 1080p.

I have no idea why, but I'm sure I heard this claim on here a few months back.

Nonetheless, the graphics on GT5 look absolutely jaw dropping. I haven't seen anything like it!

aion looks like warcraft, and a few of my friends who've played the beta share the same opinion,

at absolute maximum and in DX10, age of conan is probably the best i've seen.

I'd sample Age of Conan but I am absolutely no paying a subscription fee.

McBoyd they're testing Blu-Ray dics just now that have 8 layers, therefore hold 8 times more information. If that turns out to be a success then im sure it'll be 1080p all the way. Remember when the PS1&2 came out, it took a couple of years for developers to get used to the system.

Apparently 720p often looks better that 1080p.

I have no idea why, but I'm sure I heard this claim on here a few months back.

Nonetheless, the graphics on GT5 look absolutely jaw dropping. I haven't seen anything like it!

1080i I think it is

McBoyd they're testing Blu-Ray dics just now that have 8 layers, therefore hold 8 times more information. If that turns out to be a success then im sure it'll be 1080p all the way. Remember when the PS1&2 came out, it took a couple of years for developers to get used to the system.

Whit?! Whether games display at HD resolutions or not is nothing to do with the storage medium, it's because the machine doesn't have enough processing power to move things at high resolutions.

Whit?! Whether games display at HD resolutions or not is nothing to do with the storage medium, it's because the machine doesn't have enough processing power to move things at high resolutions.

Was there not a statistic out last year that no game has yet to test the Playstation to any more than 25% of it's potential power?

This is another thing I'm sure I heard on here :lol:

Well that's probably marketing stuff, but yeah of course games will start getting better on it. Virtua Tennis 3 on the 360 for one is 1080p so it's not like it's impossible to do on new consoles or anything, it's just developers clearly prefer to use processing power on better frame rates and poly counts than full HD just now. Like McBoyd says the next gen should allow for both...

There's a lot of games like GTA4 on the PS3 and Halo 3 on the 360 which barely run at higher than standard def...

Was there not a statistic out last year that no game has yet to test the Playstation to any more than 25% of it's potential power?

This is another thing I'm sure I heard on here :lol:

That's because Sony makes their consoles difficult to program on. Developers are getting sick of it with rising development costs and deadlines to meet.

Radlord i'll rephrase that, if it is to do 1080p any justice and look good, then these games will have more information to store. These discs are being developed for this reason. Can't remember the exact place i seen it, sure it was Sony forum.

Radlord i'll rephrase that, if it is to do 1080p any justice and look good, then these games will have more information to store. These discs are being developed for this reason. Can't remember the exact place i seen it, sure it was Sony forum.

There is only one 1080P game on the PS3 far as I know, and frankly it doesn't look that great imo. The resolution does, but the graphic quality doesn't.

There is only one 1080P game on the PS3 far as I know, and frankly it doesn't look that great imo. The resolution does, but the graphic quality doesn't.

Thats the problem just now i think, if they can store more info then you get great res and graphics.

Thats the problem just now i think, if they can store more info then you get great res and graphics.

I'm not sure I buy it though. Plenty of PC games go to 1080P, look great, yet are only 4GB in size.

• 3 weeks later...