Walter on 'having a younger group' and on Fleck

Boab

Into that category comes a host of performers aged 24 and under Smith will have the opportunity to develop. Steven Davis, Kyle Lafferty, Steven Whittaker, John Fleck and, even, Steven Smith all made valuable contributions of differing importance to the Rangers cause last season. There is no reason to suppose they cannot do so in the next campaign.

"That's the one thing about having a younger group," said Smith. "If you take Steven Whittaker and Kevin Thomson as being typical of them, then they're starting to meet the demands of playing for the club and gaining the necessary experience that allows them to impose themselves on games.

"I'm hoping that'll happen with a number of the guys, like Lafferty and Naismith as well. Plus they've won a championship. We've not lost many who played in that group – Christian Dailly and Brahim Hemdani have left, but not many more. I'd hope that better level of experience will help them greatly. And Naismith is due a turn of good fortune. He has come back looking extremely fit so I'm hoping he gets the wee break he needs.

"I'm also hoping John Fleck takes as step further forward. We're still talking about a young lad (he is 18 in a month's time] but he got a bit of experience last season and, like the rest, I'm hoping he can gain a bit of confidence from that. So although we maybe won't have any new players for the start of the season, we certainly have a group who'll be looking forward to it and a number of them coming into what I would think would be the best spells of their careers."

The major drawback for Rangers is that they will be ranged against a Celtic who will probably outspend them in the transfer market by around £8m, and operate with a wage bill higher by a similar amount. In recent years, the Old Firm club lavishing more lolly on players in the summer hasn't always taken the title – witness the season before last. Neither has the side with the greater salary costs always prevailed in the championship – witness last season. If one team has held the advantage in both these respects, however, they have always been looking down at the other in the league table come the following May.

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/-Summertime-blues.5473018.jp

Interesting stuff.

I think not spending this summer and relying on our young players may prove detrimental to our chances of retaining the championship but could well help us long term. If these players really start to show progress this year we could have a good team for a long time. Meanwhile Celtic will keep having to spend every summer.

Trying to think positive about our not spending and that's all I could come up with :anguish:

The major drawback for Rangers is that they will be ranged against a Celtic who will probably outspend them in the transfer market by around £8m

Chelsea have "outspent" Man Utd for the last 3 seasons and got hee-haw

We've been better than Celtic for 2 years now, the players theyve brought in i don't fear. I don't fear a manager like Mowbray either

Fuck money, thats all people seem to care about. Youth is key imo

Let Celtic keep spending, this is good news! I dont fear any of the players the have signed so far and our squad is definately capable of beating their lot. Fleck and Aaron could act like new signings for us this season. I think the only position we need to strengthen is CB. Other than that, lets save our money, continue to shift the dead wood while Celtics wage bill continues to rise and they continue to over spend without ganing the quality. If they dont make it into the Champions League this season which is a possibility then they will soon be down to the same level of spending power that we are at.

Im happy for Walter to play the youngsters but i still think we should be looking at a CH and a Wiinger. If you look at Ajax they have always used youth players and also signed a couple of players in the summer.

There has to be a balance between youth and experience and when i say that i dont mean 39 year olds

Good article, just what I'm wanting to hear.

If we don't sign anyone but blood four or five young players this year, I'll be happy.

One thing irks me though, in this sentence:

"And Naismith is due a turn of good fortune. He has come back looking extremely fit so I'm hoping he gets the wee break he needs."

YOU need to give him that Walter. No more favouring Lee McCulloch for any unfilled position, you have to give Naismith a chance if he's looking so good.

Is this not what we've been wanting at Rangers for a few years now ? I know that Murray Park is not a facility to bring on endless talented youngsters, much to my own dismay, but we need to take the first step to giving the youth a go. As Walter states, we are the champions and its those players, the young and the old who won that championship. Thats great experience. Maybe all we need after all is a bit of confidence all throughout the ranks at Ibrox. We are the champions, youd think we were chasing the tims with all the negativity on this site.

WATP !!

I wondered how long it would take for the lee mculloch pish to start on any thread about youth.

Mculloch played once/twice on the left all season last year yet people persist with this pointless criticisim. I think he showed he is legitimate cover at c/h and defensive mid and i am not paniced to see him playing in either position if people are injured.

I have faith in the current squad, as long as we dont sell anyone i think the current group of players will be able to retain the title.

Hopefully this season Fleck and Aaron can have more of an impact and find a way of fitting into the team, there is alot of potential there.

And as long as we dont sell the likes of Bougherra, Davis, Boyd etc I think we will be ok.

Give him a run in his natural position. No point playing him out on the left.

So what is his natural position and who are we dropping ?

IMO his natural position is just off the striker/strikers and in front of the midfield.

At this moment in time I wouldn't have him as first choice but if he is going to play we should play him where we will see the best of him.

I wondered how long it would take for the lee mculloch pish to start on any thread about youth.

Mculloch played once/twice on the left all season last year yet people persist with this pointless criticisim. I think he showed he is legitimate cover at c/h and defensive mid and i am not paniced to see him playing in either position if people are injured.

Really?

Kenny Miller for me, assuming he's starting in a 2 with Kris Boyd.

IMO his natural position is just off the striker/strikers and in front of the midfield.

At this moment in time I wouldn't have him as first choice but if he is going to play we should play him where we will see the best of him.

So who we dropping ?

This talk of dropping and leaving people out - can't we just be happy that we have competition for places?

Start with a similar mould to last season, and rest people when their form drops.

You seriosuly think John Fleck has more to offer rangers right now than kenny miller....i have seen nothing to suggest that.....

Really?

What bad games did he have at c/h ?

You seriosuly think John Fleck has more to offer rangers right now than kenny miller....i have seen nothing to suggest that.....

Fleck's never had the chance to show anyone what he can do while he's wasted out on the left.

This talk of dropping and leaving people out - can't we just be happy that we have competition for places?

Start with a similar mould to last season, and rest people when their form drops.

I am over the moon to have genuine competition but looking at the team that finished the league lasy season i am tryign to work out where Fleck currently fits into it and it's on the bench for me.......

Fleck's never had the chance to show anyone what he can do while he's wasted out on the left.

I don't buy into that at all......