No New Signings this Summer

bmccall

Walter says he wants to trim the squad down to about 20 senior players and add a few youth players like Fleck and McMillan.

He also said that despite selling Bazza and cutting Dailly and Hemdani lose we'll have to sell a lot more in order to bring anyone new in.

With all that Celtic are buying, and with the CL on the horizon, can we seriously expect to achieve a lot this season without a new CB or LM?

Thoughts please.

Edu as a CB, you can't be serious. I agree that Weir probably has another season in him, but I don't think we can expect him to play at a high level for the entire season. He's a great player to have but age does play its role.

As far as formation goes, I think it all depends on how Kevin Thomson performs. I liked the quasi 4-3-3 we played towards the end of last season. If Weir plays well then Bougherra could play farther forward where he did earlier in his career.

I still feel that we need another CB, LM is farther down the list but staying with just two true CBs scares the shite out of me.

Europe is a bonus. Considering our squad is no more than Championship standard, it's a bit much to expect them to compete in the CL, especially when we're up against teams like Man Utd etc who have about 1000 times the resources we do.

However we might get a favourable draw, i think we can compete with the likes of Rubin Kazan, Besiktas, Unirea Urziceni, Sporting Lisbon, BATE etc etc.

IMO the league is the priority. We should be using the cup competitions as a platform for young players of 17/18 years old to get first team experience....although fat chance of that happening with wattysaurus in charge.

Maurice Edu is minging at both right, and centre back.

He's a defensive/box-to-box midfielder, and that's where he should play. I'm fed up of playing players out of position.

We need 3 quality players; CB, LW, and a ST.

Exactly, Muff. I know it's too much to think we'll get anywhere past the last 16 in the CL--if that--but I think it's stupid to just stay with the same squad under the guise of not having enough money. We need better players if we think we'll get close to a domestic treble this year, of even just winning the league. If we invest in good players then we'll have better chances of winning and thus more money--that's just the way it works.

He's a defensive/box-to-box midfielder, and that's where he should play. I'm fed up of playing players out of position.

Not going to happen m'afraid.

I'm getting bored of the constant "do we need new players or are we okay as we are" discussions.

Of course we need to new players - we need to strengthen our squad in pretty much all positions, but the reality is that we can't even afford one signing so we are going to have to make do with what we have and hope we get away with it.

I'm getting bored of the constant "do we need new players or are we okay as we are" discussions.

Of course we need to new players - we need to strengthen our squad in pretty much all positions, but the reality is that we can't even afford one signing so we are going to have to make do with what we have and hope we get away with it.

so where does murray get the £25million he proposed to buy the spl tv rights.once again the true loyal fans are being sold down the river.

so where does murray get the £25million he proposed to buy the spl tv rights.once again the true loyal fans are being sold down the river.

So whats your point? that actually have £25m to spend?? Because we don't. I was just it telling it how it is in the context of this post.

It doesn't matter how much much money SDM personally has, it's been made clear that Rangers have no funds to spend this summer, so we should stop worrying about bringing players in and start thinking about developing our current squad.

(tu) A must!

I think a CB is a must, Weir's an old man and i don't expect him to play in both CL & SPL & Cup Games. It's too much to ask for a 39 year old man and with us letting go of Webster (which i don't know why we did?) we're short there should Boogie or Grandad get injured which is quite likely considering Boogie was troubled with injury problems last season.

Not to mention Boogie will be away in the African Cup early next year ??

New faces can also freshen a squad up. Could be we'll stagnate into even more mediocrity if not.

Still think we'll get a loan signing or two just to offer Champions league.

I think this article will prove to be (dissapointingly) accurate. I think it'll be tough for us to win the league this year as a result of our dire financial situation, we have to put our faith in Celtic's ill-fated scouting system!

4-3-3 is the answer to our problems imo, a LM is not needed.

spot on

ive been shouting that since last season

3 centre mids

3 pronged attack

NO left mid needed

all players are there just now

Walter just has to play them

(tu)

Its a gamble, wait and see if were effed by xmas then there is always the jan transfer windae, and if were no SDM can reduce the overdreft in order to find a suitable buyer for our once great club.

thats it in a nut shell folks, and i defy anyone to prove me WRONG!!!!!!

One thing we do need is a CB for when Bougherra is away as we don't know if Weir will hold up either, that would leave us with McCulloch and Wilson at the back, I would take one of those two for a full month only if we have another experienced defender there too.

I think people read way too much in too Smith, how many times has he said no signings and done the exact opposite, he rubbished Mendes rumours a few weeks before signing him too.

TBH, unless we get rid of a few more, I'm not expecting any signings, certainly not ones of the standard we require.

We are missing out once again!