Arsenal to bid 8 mill for Steven Taylor

Everton are after him as well as it looks like City may eventually get Lescott so Wenger has acted ...its a chain reaction!

Arsenal are considering making an £8million bid for Newcastle defender Steven Taylor.

However, Everton are also in the running and are understood to have opened negotiations with the Championship club in an attempt to secure a replacement for Joleon Lescott, who is a still a target for Manchester City.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is a long-term admirer of the 23-year-old and sent a scout to watch Taylor in his side's 1-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday in midweek.

Although a striker remains Arsenal's priority before the transfer window closes at the end of the month, Everton's interest in Taylor may force Wenger to act.

The Gunners entertain pointless Portsmouth at Emirates Stadium tomorrow and will again be without England winger Theo Walcott, who will also miss next Wednesday's return leg of their Champions League play-off against Celtic.

But Wenger remains hopeful Walcott could be available for the trip to champions Manchester United on 29 August as he continues to battle with a lower back problem.

Croatian striker Eduardo could feature against Portsmouth, who have started the season with two 1-0 defeats.

Wenger said: "I don't believe we have anyone injured from Tuesday night's game at Celtic.

"Eduardo, I believe, will be back in contention but Walcott will not be back at all. Tomas Rosicky, Johan Djourou, Samir Nasri and Lukasz Fabianski will all be out.

"There is a slight concern over Walcott's back injury but we believe it is a question of days and not of weeks.

"We will see if he is fit to face Manchester United next Saturday. It is always difficult to set a date. I thought he would be available for Celtic, I thought he would be available for Everton, but he wasn't. That's why we will be cautious."

Evening Standard

So basically, with top 6 clubs being interested in Taylor and buying Bassong, it's been decided that the reason Newcastle's defence was terrible last season is Coloccini. :lol:

Steven Taylor is one of those players who seems to have been round for abosolutely ages and he's still only 23. Can I ask how he can still play for England under 21's.

If you are under 21 when the campaign begins then you can play until the completition of the tournament..

Taylor must have been 21 or under when the European Championship campaign began.

Steven Taylor is one of those players who seems to have been round for abosolutely ages and he's still only 23. Can I ask how he can still play for England under 21's.

If you are under 21 when the campaign begins then you can play until the completition of the tournament..

Taylor must have been 21 or under when the European Championship campaign began.

you are allowed a certain number of over 21's playing for the u21 side, ridiculous i know but its the rules.

i think tho 23 is a cut off age

I really just don't understand why Wenger hasn't stuck to his usual guns for once and splashed out on Sakho.

Big, black, french, young, centre half, captain material, mature, TANK.

It fits all his fetishes.

Decent player, although he's very inconsistant, and when he makes mistakes, they are usually pretty horrific!

Looked quite good at under 21 level when he played with the likes of Richards, Onuoha and Mancienne....for England, and was unlucky that injury ruled him out of the European Championships at the start of the summer.

Working under Arsene Wenger, Pat Rice, Boro Primorac, Steve Bould....at Arsenal won't do him much harm at all either, should he move to the Emirates?

He's still only 23 and playing in a top class side would probably bring the best out of him, especially when he has the likes of Gallas, Vermaelen, Gael Clichy, Bacary Sagna....around him.

I really just don't understand why Wenger hasn't stuck to his usual guns for once and splashed out on Sakho.

Big, black, french, young, centre half, captain material, mature, TANK.

It fits all his fetishes.

:crab: