The Herald's player ratings Scotland v. Netherlands

delparlane

We all predicted it, and they didn't fail us. Praised Hutts and Whitty, giving them 7s, then gave Broon the exact same for a game in which he was virtually anonymous. What rubbish! Slagged off Weir for the gaffe (not without justification, it must be admitted), but failed to mention how well he played up 'till that one slip-up. At least they gave Marshall a 9...

http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/sport/mor...atings-1.918917

I personally think that the Herald as a paper is far more bitter and pro-tim than the Rhebel or Sun.

5/10 for Weir is scandalous.

Brown's summation is missed a sitter and couldn't get the Dutch annoyed and he still gets 7/10 for being a passenger? WTF.

FT Herald.

miller was our best player imo

followed by fletcher and maloney...

weir never deserves a 5, but he did gift them a goal...if this team started against norway i dont think we would never have had so much pressure on us to win against a side like holland

miller was our best player imo

followed by fletcher and maloney...

weir never deserves a 5, but he did gift them a goal...if this team started against norway i dont think we would never have had so much pressure on us to win against a side like holland

If this team had started against Norway, we'd be in the playoffs.

exactly, burley hasnt got a clue

I really feel for big Davie. He'll get slated left right and centre for that, but he had to try and get something on it. If he'd left it, it would ran through to the guy anyway.

I agree, Kev. Davie played a great game apart from that mistake, yet that will be overlooked by those who just want someone to pin blame on. To give him a 5 was scandalous (as laudrupforever so aptly said above), as it was for Miller, who also played very well but just had one of those nights as far as getting the ball in the net. To rate Brown 2 points better than either of them is just idiotic.

If people looked at this rationally, they'd realise that it never should have come down to this match anyway; we blew our chances long before last night. What's so galling is that (I believe) we definitely deserved to win on the night. Och well...another glorious failure. What a shock...

There was a few great performers.

Technically speaking, David Marshall done everything required and had a great game after all the scare about Gordon being out. Didn't make any mistakes and was comfortable throughout. Probably deserves his 9.

As much as Weir technically is to blame for the goal and ultimately the defeat, he doesn't deserve slagged off as his positioning the whole night apart from that was spotless. Was great when Robben countered and tried to cut it back to Sneijder.

Miller ran around a lot, but apart from hitting the woodwork and missing a sitter, I don't think he done too much wrong or right. Didn't link up all that well, lost possession a lot and like I say, just ran around a lot.

I'd personally have played Naisy up front and Miller on the wing. Miller has more work rate than Naismith so would've tracked back with Gio at all times, something Naisy failed to do a few times, and Naismith would've linked up better as a striker and if gotten the chance, you'd fancy him to score (probably a header by the way things were going).

"There’s a theory blond footballers are noticed more but Naismith was prominent and tireless in first start." :anguish: Naismith played very well. I'm also surprised to read Maloney and Broon played, never mind played well cause I never noticed them at all.

Marshall: 7

Most of the saves he made were bread and butter for a keeper, Only the save against Robben stood out, and even then, Robben made a right arse of it.

Went down WAY too quickly for the goal.

Weir: 7

Was outstanding for 89 of the 90.

The goal he is being overcriticised for, sure, he made a mistake, but it was a bizarrely lucky clearence, that was WAY too high for most players to even consider reaching, Davie knew he couldn't let it just go over him so credit to him, he gave the try it's all.

Miraculous performance by a man his age against a team so quick.

Badly let down by McManus is several situations IMO.

And Don't get me started on Maloney's rating doh.

Why is everyone under the impressino Maloney played well last night?

He was anonymus for about 3/4 of the game and for the quarter he was present I wished he wasn't!

Piss poor performance from a piss poor player.

Even his corners wouldn't stay on play doh

'everyone'

I've counted 2 people, myself included, who rated his display last night.

Marshall: 7

Most of the saves he made were bread and butter for a keeper, Only the save against Robben stood out, and even then, Robben made a right arse of it.

Went down WAY too quickly for the goal.

Im not Marhsall's biggest fan, but how can you say he went down too early?

Have you ever played in goals? He forced Ella wide and gave Hutton a chance to get back and gave him a chance. It was just a sublime piece of skill be Ella to move the ball at pace and finish.