BBC Highlights

FlippinEck

I have to laugh at the BBC's phrasing of it, though - "Motherwell's Jim O'Brien misses a penalty". It may well be semantics to some, but that implies (to me, as well as to many others, I'm sure) that he miss hit it, when in fact it was a great save by Mac to deny him.

Journalists choose their words with care, and I honestly don't think I'm being paranoid when I say that you can be damn well sure those were intentionally chosen so as to avoid giving McGregor or Rangers any credit.

To get anti-Rangers from that? Aye, it's incredibly ludicrous.

First thing that comes to mind when a penalty doesn't end up in a goal is "penalty is missed" not "penalty is saved" ffs.

McGregor saved it aye, but the guy still missed the penalty.

I have always thought that generally a penalty is missed if the striker fails to hit the target, and the penalty is saved if the striker gets the ball on target but the keeper prevents it from going in.

It changes slightly where Rangers are concerned for me personally, as if we fail to convert a penalty it is always a miss, as I expect our players to score with a free shot from 12 yards, no matter what the keeper does.

I have to laugh at the BBC's phrasing of it, though - "Motherwell's Jim O'Brien misses a penalty". It may well be semantics to some, but that implies (to me, as well as to many others, I'm sure) that he miss hit it, when in fact it was a great save by Mac to deny him.

Journalists choose their words with care, and I honestly don't think I'm being paranoid when I say that you can be damn well sure those were intentionally chosen so as to avoid giving McGregor or Rangers any credit.

I agree, journos pick their words most carefully.

Similarly, on BBC Scotland's Ceefax pages all weekend, their report on the Fir Park game has included the line, "Bougherra pulled Jutkiewicz down". This implies hands were involved, a retentive movement similar to a rugby tackle. I happen to think it was a penalty and BBC Scotland could have been accurate by flagging up a mistimed tackle.

Our previous away game at Tynecastle, BBC Scotland's Ceefax carried the line, "the referee adjudged the Hearts defenders challenge on Naismith to be a penalty".

Hes not moaning at it, and its not as if hes making a formal complaint along with a whole petition full of angered people is he?

Hes just made a passing comment, a comment I must admit I agreed to as I spotted it but never posted it becuase I knew this kind of reaction would follow...

I agree the reporting is not fair in comparison with the way they talk about the scum...

But it is pathetic to suggest that it is unfair because of the way they have worded this particular article heading.

I despise the fact that a lot of Celtic fans go out their way to be offended. But a similar pattern seems to be emerging on here at times.