The ref says he got it wrong

Craig Thomson admits he called it wrong over Celtic Old Firm penalty claim

Scotland’s leading official Craig Thomson

Old Firm referee Craig Thomson has admitted he called it wrong by denying Celtic a penalty after 12 minutes for Rangers stopper Davie Weir’s challenge on Shaun Maloney.

The full-time official did award the visitors a spot-kick at Ibrox - from which Aiden McGeady scored to reduce the deficit to 2-1 - on 25 minutes after Sasa Papac fouled Zheng Zhi and later booked both Maloney and Mark Wilson for diving.

SFA head of referee development Hugh Dallas said in a statement: “Taking charge of an Old Firm game is both high profile and challenging. Referees are well aware that their performance will be judged on calling the major decisions correctly.

“Craig and I have had our post match de-brief. Whilst I would compliment Craig for his overall handling of yesterday’s encounter, he is disappointed at his error of judgement when he decided against awarding a penalty to the visiting team in the 12th minute.

“Our referees are fitter than they have ever been and our referees are better prepared for matches than they have ever been. We are working each and every day with our top officials to make sure that they are in a position to get the big calls right. However, mistakes are part and parcel of football.

“I think that it says a lot for the character and professionalism of Craig that he has been more than willing to hold his hands up on this one.”

Was this the only decision he got wrong, what about all the others......

Craig Thomson admits he called it wrong over Celtic Old Firm penalty claim

Scotland’s leading official Craig Thomson

Old Firm referee Craig Thomson has admitted he called it wrong by denying Celtic a penalty after 12 minutes for Rangers stopper Davie Weir’s challenge on Shaun Maloney.

The full-time official did award the visitors a spot-kick at Ibrox - from which Aiden McGeady scored to reduce the deficit to 2-1 - on 25 minutes after Sasa Papac fouled Zheng Zhi and later booked both Maloney and Mark Wilson for diving.

SFA head of referee development Hugh Dallas said in a statement: “Taking charge of an Old Firm game is both high profile and challenging. Referees are well aware that their performance will be judged on calling the major decisions correctly.

“Craig and I have had our post match de-brief. Whilst I would compliment Craig for his overall handling of yesterday’s encounter, he is disappointed at his error of judgement when he decided against awarding a penalty to the visiting team in the 12th minute.

“Our referees are fitter than they have ever been and our referees are better prepared for matches than they have ever been. We are working each and every day with our top officials to make sure that they are in a position to get the big calls right. However, mistakes are part and parcel of football.

“I think that it says a lot for the character and professionalism of Craig that he has been more than willing to hold his hands up on this one.”

Was this the only decision he got wrong, what about all the others......

What about the shove on Novo :anguish:

Exactly, he called a hand ball against Novo when it only touched his hand because he was pushed in the back. I'm sure there was another incident where we had a claim for a penalty, I'm also quite surprised at McManus not getting booked for a deliberate pull on Lafferty I think it was, even though in all honesty I don't blame the ref it was the linesman who was only 3 yards away who should have called it.

I think one of the other incidents was actually a tug or a push on Weir at one of the corners?

Got a few wrong on both sides but probably none that would've changed the game as much as that one. To be fair it would be extremely difficult to pick everything up in an Old Firm match and all things considered I think he did a decent job.

Got a few wrong on both sides but probably none that would've changed the game as much as that one. To be fair it would be extremely difficult to pick everything up in an Old Firm match and all things considered I think he did a decent job.

Agree in principle, and I actually thought he did have a pretty good game, but the point of Dallas's comments is that they are only commenting on one incident that they got wrong and not the others.

Agree in principle, and I actually thought he did have a pretty good game, but the point of Dallas's comments is that they are only commenting on one incident that they got wrong and not the others.

He's hardly going to come out and list all the mistakes he made though is he :lol:

Putting loyalties aside for a minute that was probably the biggest mistake of the match and could've changed the game completely. I think in this case they have more right to be unhappy with the ref than us but it's so often on the other foot they can't really complain.

I thought he done a decent job as well.

To be honest, if any of their three penality claims were at the other end i would've been raging not to get them.

I just think it just makes it even sweeter....

behave yerself one of the tackles was a penalty. the other 2 WERE BOOKED FOR CHEATING so how the fuck would you be raging.

The one where Davie Weir brought down Maloney the first time at 1-0 was a clear penalty in my opinion. The one where Maloney was booked for diving was a good decision and Wilson's was a dive too. Sasa Papac's tackle on Zheng Zhi was also a penalty. They were laughing at us on Tuesday for not getting a penalty so now it's their turn. What goes around comes around.

To be honest, if any of their three penality claims were at the other end i would've been raging not to get them.

I just think it just makes it even sweeter....

behave yerself one of the tackles was a penalty. the other 2 WERE BOOKED FOR CHEATING so how the fuck would you be raging.

Behave yourself. There was contact in all three cases...

I'm not saying they were all stonewallers but if they had been at the other end i'dve wanted a penalty.

As others said, plenty of decisions went against us or weren't called at all that should have gone against them - one where they were given a throw in when the ball clearly went out off their player, another when one of our players was blatantly held directly in front of the linesman and not a word was said. Fair play, that penalty shout by them was probably legit, but you can't bleat on about one incident that went against you and ignore all the others that favoured you (...well, if you're Septic, I guess you can).

i suggest you watch wilson and maloneys dives and you will see absolutley no contact.

shower of t****** scum anyway couldnt have happend to a nicer bunch

There was contact in all three, Maloney made an arse of the second one because he dived before he got hit.

I'm loving the fact that they're hurtin about it, but i'm just being honest...if that was Naismith or Boydy going through i'd have been calling the ref a cunt for not giving them. I don't think he was biased for us tho, i think he was just shite, he was trying his fucking damdest to even it up in the second half.

Look at this dive from Maloney when he was on a yellow. :anguish:

The more i look at that the more i think he's trying to get a free kick.when i first saw it i thought he just fell because his legs gave way.