Article About Bill Struth

minstral

I posted this article a couple of years ago, but for all the new members its a good read.

Scotland's Greatest Manager Bar None

William Struth led his team to glory from 1920-1954

Scot Jacob (internews) Email Article Print Article

Published 2006-08-09 15:54 (KST)

In response to citizen reporter Raymond McDonald's recent piece titled Sectarianism Mars Scottish Football, Rangers support Scot Jacob writes on his team's history. <Editor's Note>

Bill Struth always maintained that "The club was bigger than the man." I would argue however that there has never been a bigger man in Scottish footballing history than Bill Struth.

Although Bill Struth is remembered and revered by Rangers fans the world over for his 34-year tenureship as manager it is sometimes overlooked that he also served a six-year apprenticeship as trainer. Struth replaced Jimmy Wilson after the trainer's death in 1914 and for the next six years helped manager William Wilton mould a side that would come out of the shadows of a Celtic team who were by far the strongest during the Great War period. Incidentally, Struth had previously spurned Rangers advances to be trainer as that would have meant the sack for Jimmy Wilson.

Bill Struth

It was however the tragic death of manager William Wilton in a boating accident on May 2, 1920, the day after that season's Scottish League title had been secured that catapulted Struth into the managerial spotlight. It would be fair to say that he was an immediate success. That first season saw Struth's Rangers run away with the league title and in fact suffered only one championship reverse that term, a rather unexpected 2-0 Old Firm Ne'erday defeat at Ibrox. It was to be a rather prophetic introduction into the Scottish game.

Of course Struth's record stands out in bold relief. In his 34 years as manager, Rangers harnessed the Scottish League title on 18 occasions (plus another seven during the World War 2 period) and the Scottish Cup 10 times. The Glasgow Cup and Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup were also won 18 and 20 times respectively.

It was an impressive haul by anyone's standards. Yet it is not for winning alone or the host of Scottish football legends he introduced into the Scottish game that Bill Struth is best remembered. Quite simply Struth set Rangers apart gave our club a lustre and an authority that has never been matched by anyone, anywhere, anytime before or since. Struth transformed the club and set standards that are still adhered to at Ibrox even today.

The stories and myths surrounding Struth are legion. Of how he kept a dozen suits in a wardrobe in his office at any one time, of Rangers players having to wear bowlers hats even to training. But I believe there was much more to Bill Struth than just the hard outside shell and a "Beau Brummell" image.

Take February 1948 for example. Rangers travelled to Lisbon to take on Benfica in a prestige friendly and Struth had made it clear that one of the stipulations of the match going ahead was that a standard, regulation British match ball was to be used instead of the lighter, continental ball.

Although this was not to Benfica's liking they went along with Struth's demands. Then on the morning of the match they informed Rangers that there had been a break-in during the night and mysteriously all the British balls had been stolen. Struth said nothing, went along with the ruse until immediately prior to kick off he handed George Young a British ball. A little something he had kept in reserve just in case of any "mysterious" incidents happening in the run up to the match.

Now you may think this incident is trivial in itself but we have to remember here that Struth was in his 70s by this time, an old man who was in failing health. Yet he instinctively knew that the continentals would be up to some dodge or other and was still "sleekit" and cunning enough to play them at their own game.

Remember also that this was basically a decade before regular European competition for British managers. I would contend that Busby, Shankly and Stein and even the Bill Nicholsons of this world had teething troubles with European opponents, cut their teeth as it were on a few occasions before being able to play them at their own mind games. This of course they were able to do so at the peak of their powers. We can only wonder at just how "fly" Struth would have been if he had to match the continentals on a regular basis in his prime? Quite simply, not only was Bill Struth ahead of the game he was ahead of his time.

Then there was an incident when Rangers star, Tory Gillick, down in England representing the Scottish League against the English League sauntered into the hotel restaurant where the Scots squad were staying one morning and ordered the works for breakfast. The bold Tory tucked in unperturbed, whilst all around his team mates, sitting down to a bowl of cereal or other meager fair sat looking on bemused at their colleague's extravagance.

The Scottish Football Association (SFA) and Scottish League were not amused however and they sent Gillick's receipts to Ibrox demanding that Rangers pay for their player's excesses. Struth promptly sent the bill back to the authorities with a curt reminder that Rangers players were used to a certain standard of living and if the SFA and the Scottish League could not meet those standards then they should not pick Rangers players to represent them. The question of the bill was never mentioned again.

But that was Bill Struth to perfection. In his years as manager he set out not only to make Rangers the best team in the land but always to think that they were. They were the best dressed. They had the best facilities. They were the best paid and the best treated. He instilled in them a tremendous conceit which eventually developed an arrogance in themselves and a sense of inferiority in most others.

Yet perhaps my favourite story surrounding Bill Struth concerns the time he became trainer at Shawfield in the 1900s. Already a part time employee and jack of all trades at Clyde FC at that time was the "Bully Wee" legend in the making Mattha Gemmell. Now when Struth came to Shawfield, Gemmell, not unnaturally, assumed that Struth would bring in his own man to help him run the show. It quickly became apparent to Struth however Gemmell's worth to that club and offered him the full time job as assistant trainer. Unfortunately the money on offer couldn't match what Gemmell was already earning between his full time job and part time post with Clyde.

Struth then made a deal with Gemmell. During the summer months back then sports meetings at various Glasgow grounds were very popular and Shawfield, possibly in no small part due to Struth's athletics connections, at that time hosted its fair share. Struth decided to split the gate money from these meetings 50/50 with Gemmell and between that extra money and the wage already earned with Clyde meant he was able to give up his factory job and devote himself full time to his first love, Clyde.

Again this may sound a trivial matter but the bottom line is Struth as trainer at Clyde was due if not all the gate monies then the majority, it was one of the perks of the job for the trainer back then. Yet he was prepared to share evenly with Mattha Gemmell because it meant the difference between him working full time at Clyde and staying on the periphery. The fact is despite Bill Struth's hard, almost tyrannical image he was indeed a man blessed with the human touch.

For the record, Struth and Gemmell's friendship was to span the rest of their lives. Indeed on the occasion of Clyde's first visit to Ibrox after the boardroom coup of 1947 Gemmell was whisked away by Rogers Simpson and given a first hand account of why the boardroom revolt had came about. Although the Clyde man insisted that he didn't need to be told, Simpson, knowing full well the extent of Struth and Gemmell's friendship decided to do so anyway. Mattha Gemmell took the secrets of that meeting with him to the grave.

As I said earlier, there was much more to Bill Struth than just the strict disciplinarian reputation. You only need to think of how Rangers legends from Bob McPhail through to the Youngs, Woodburns, Waddells, Thorntons and Coxs of this world spoke of the man in reverential tones to realise what an effect he had on them not only as footballers but also as human beings.

But let's now look back again to the Guv'nor's many successes on the park. As we're already aware that first season saw Rangers with Struth's first major signing, Alan Morton in place on the left wing, demolish the opposition in the league and this was to be no flash in the pan. For a time the seasons would follow after a fashion. An exciting, thrilling start with the Glasgow Cup usually annexed. After the New Year there would be the odd upset (usually including a Scottish Cup tie) then a steadying of the ship and another title brought back to Ibrox.

Yet for all Struth's successes in every other tournament Rangers entered, there was one prize he sought more than any other and that of course was the Scottish Cup. Curiously enough Struth had to endure seven seasons of failure before all was put to rights when his side smashed the club's 25 year curse in the 1927/28 final with an emphatic 4-0 Old Firm victory.

After the hoodoo was lifted the Scottish Cup was won on as regular a basis as everything else. So much so that Struth became the first manager of the 20th century to win the Scottish Cup in three successive years -- 1934, 35 and 36. And he found he liked the feeling so much he decided to do it again in the years 1948, 49 and 50. I need hardly remind anyone that no one has came remotely close to equalling Struth's double Scottish Cup winning treble since.

Of course it is hard to escape from the quality of players Struth had at his command down through the years. His early teams boasting the forward line of Archibald, Cunningham, Henderson, Cairns and Morton. The introduction of the first great Dane to Ibrox, Carl Hansen, not to mention goal getters supreme in the shape of "Geordie" Henderson, Jimmy Fleming, Bob McPhail, the bustling Jimmy Smith and the unfortunate Sam English.

These dashing forwards all marshalled from the back by the imperious Englishman, Arthur Dixon who took a certain Davie Meiklejohn under his wing and moulded him and then there was Jimmy Simpson as another central defensive rock that basically took the club up to the outset of World War 2.

But others are needed to build a team around of course and Bill Struth certainly got sterling service from two of our Ulster brethren Bert Manderson and Billy McCandless at full back. Along the way they would be replaced by the likes of Bob "Newry" Hamilton and Whitey McDonald. Then there would be a Cheyne and a Shaw along the way. And then there was a certain Dougie Gray, who was 22 years a Ranger. They all were happy to play their part.

Then there was the engine room between the wars. Jimmy Bowie, fleetingly and coming to the end of his career at the start of the Struth one. The two Tommys, Cairns (Alan Morton's first inside man) and Muirhead. Then there was Tully Craig who apparently wasn't good enough to make the grade at CP and the experienced Jock Buchanan. There was James "Doc" Marshall, George Brown, the aforementioned Tory Gillick and also Alex "Tony" Venters. It's safe to say Mister Struth knew a footballer when he saw one.

Then there was Struth's last great Rangers team of the immediate post World War 2 period comprising the legendary "Iron Curtain" defence of Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn and Cox. "Bless em all" indeed. This sterling defence was augmented of course by forwards such as Waddell, Thornton, Caskie, Gillick and a host of others. Incidentally, Struth's eye for a poacher was still as keen as ever as the signings of Derek Grierson, Billy Williamson and Billy Simpson were to prove during this last great era for him. He was even to spot Ralph Brand playing for Scotland schools at Wembley, whilst watching the match on TV.

Of course Struth never did have the opportunity to pit his wits against the cream of the continent as later managers would. What he did have though in the early to mid 1930s to challenge his sides was the great Arsenal team of the period managed by the legendary Herbert Chapman. Very well then let the records show that in the six matches played up till the Second World War, the record was; Struth 3 wins, Draws 2, and Chapman 1 win. You can only beat what is put up before you I suppose.

The statistics are unrelenting. In Bill Struth's first 19 seasons in charge (1920/21-1938/39 inclusive) Rangers won the Scottish League championship 14 times and the Scottish Cup six times. For good measure the Glasgow and Glasgow Merchants Charity cups were won on eleven occasions. Then there were the two Grand Slam seasons of 1929/30 and 33/34. The 29/30 season stands out because the club, both at first team and reserve team level won everything there was to be won.

In fact if we were to take a wee liberty and include the Second World War years then the statistics become even more mind boggling. Because in Bill Struth's first 30 seasons in charge as manager, (1920/21-1949/50 incl) Rangers FC won the Scottish league title on an astonishing 24 occasions. And he was naturally, the first Scottish manager to win a domestic "Treble" in season 48/49.

No one needs to tell me that the World War 2 years do not count as official but they do offer up further evidence, if any were required, as to the almost complete stranglehold Bill Struth had on Scottish football.

There is of course a most twisted and perverse opinion adhered to even in the modern era that Struth somehow had a rival across the city in Celtic manager Willie Maley. To be perfectly blunt if this head to head is to be considered a rivalry then it is the biggest mis-match in sporting history.

Consider the following; Struth and Maley measured up to each other for 19 full consecutive seasons from 1920/21 -- 1938/39 inclusive and their respective records are:

League Championships; Struth 14 v Maley 4

Scottish Cup; Struth 6 v Maley 6

Glasgow Cup; Struth 11 v Maley 6

Glasgow Charity Cup; Struth 11 v Maley 6

This only tells part of the story because in the 38 league matches played in that period Struth/Rangers won 20 of the counters compared to Maley/Celtic's six. And two of Maley's wins came about in the same calendar year of 1938. In fact, Maley had to wait till the 8th full season of their rivalry before winning in his "ain midden"; that was Ne'erday 1928. He would then wait another 10 years before getting that winning feeling at "the bells" again.

In summing up, it is my contention that Bill Struth is the greatest football manager anywhere anytime at club level. But don't just take my word for it, here is how the late John Rafferty described Struth's impact on the Scottish game in his book "One Hundred Years of Scottish Football":

"Rangers in those years of success were a wonderfully functional team. As great players moved on others came in. Bob McPhail, Dougie Gray, Tully Craig, Sandy Archibald, Jimmy Fleming -- they kept the tradition going and added to an over-powering reputation of Rangers which was becoming fearsome to lesser clubs until it seemed that Scottish football was being controlled from the marble halls at Ibrox."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Yet it is not for winning alone or the host of Scottish football legends he introduced into the Scottish game that Bill Struth is best remembered. Quite simply Struth set Rangers apart gave our club a lustre and an authority that has never been matched by anyone, anywhere, anytime before or since. Struth transformed the club and set standards that are still adhered to at Ibrox even today.

Cracking stuff Minstral.

This is the most poignant paragraph for me but I have my doubts that the present board of directors do indeed still share these feeling.

Guest therabbitt
A posthumous knighthood is appropriate.

I wouldn't quote me on this or anything, but I'm fairly sure that there hasn't been very many posthumous knighthoods awarded - especially in the realms of football.

There have been campaigns to have Paisley and more recently Cloughy awarded a knighthood but sadly they have not been recognised.

I wonder if there has been a similar campaign for Struth before? If there hasn't then RangersMedia would very much be behind anyone that wished to put together a project and petition to call for Struth to be recognised.

(tu)

There have been campaigns to have Paisley and more recently Cloughy awarded a knighthood but sadly they have not been recognised.

There was a campaign for another dead football manager as well.

The large one who was aware.

A posthumous knighthood is appropriate.

I wouldn't quote me on this or anything, but I'm fairly sure that there hasn't been very many posthumous knighthoods awarded - especially in the realms of football.

I wonder if there has been a similar campaign for Struth before? If there hasn't then RangersMedia would very much be behind anyone that wished to put together a project and petition to call for Struth to be recognised.

(tu)

How about all the Rangers supporters getting banners made, Sir Bill Struth, or Sir William Struth.

I like one story of Mr Struth, standing at his window on Copeland Road he sees 3 Rangers walking down Edmiston Drive, Baxter was one I think, hands in pockets. Mr Struth heads down Edmiston Drive and makes them walk back down again, with no hands in pockets. Legend.

He never mentioned it but we won that game against Benfica 3-0. I think it was our first match against 'Latin' opposition.

A couple of other facts about Mr Struth...he never played the game himself, he was an athlete. Different times but that ties in with my view that a good manager need not have played at the top level.

Also, as well as being our best manager, he was in charge for our worst ever season. No doubt these days there would be many calling for his head. ;) Mind you, there may have been back then I suppose.

I like one story of Mr Struth, standing at his window on Copeland Road he sees 3 Rangers walking down Edmiston Drive, Baxter was one I think, hands in pockets. Mr Struth heads down Edmiston Drive and makes them walk back down again, with no hands in pockets. Legend.

That story must be wrong as Mr Struth died in 1956 and Baxter did not come to the club until 1960. (tu)

That story must be wrong as Mr Struth died in 1956 and Baxter did not come to the club until 1960. (tu)

Not necessarily, I may have one of the players involved wrong. (tu)