Souness

Bazza

That Was The Team That Was: Rangers 1986/7

23.05 Friday 23 February

BBC One Scotland

Like many successful revolutions, the Rangers rising under Graeme Souness started with chaos, confusion and controversy. Walter Smith, Ian Durrant, Chris Woods, Robert Fleck, Graham Roberts, Jimmy Nicholl and Graeme Souness himself reveal the real story behind that remarkable 1986/87 season.

From the chaos at Easter Road on the first day of the campaign to the chaos at Pitoddrie on the last, this is the inside track on how Graeme Souness, armed with the Rangers cheque book and a fanatical determination to win, turned round a club that had not won the League Championship for almost a decade.

The former players give their candid views of the manager’s uncompromising approach which led to two dismissals from the field of play during the hard-fought campaign…and brought him into conflict with the less compliant members of his squad off the pitch.

The ex-manager discusses the lowest point of his career and the pride in accomplishing the target he set himself when he started the historic season as an untried and naïve team boss.

Should be good viewing. :)

What a cracking programme that was. The things that went on in those days and the passion, fight and determination and love for the club. Must of been a great day clinching the league at Pittodrie. Quality throughout the team, Woods, Butcher, Fleck, Coisty, Durrant, Roberts, Souness, Cooper etc.

The highlight of the whole show for me was Davie Coopers magical run against Tampere..........he really was a genius! (clap) (clap)

Cracking run and an absolute genius, I now know where Ronaldinho got the "look the opposite way and pass the ball trick" from (tu)

i remember this day like it was yesterday. one of the best days of my life. i still have the original highlights of this game that were shown on sportscene and also the programme they showed called the Rangers revival. Souness is a legend and a hero and always will be. cant believe it was over 20 years ago as it feels like only yesterday.

i remember this day like it was yesterday. one of the best days of my life. i still have the original highlights of this game that were shown on sportscene and also the programme they showed called the Rangers revival. Souness is a legend and a hero and always will be. cant believe it was over 20 years ago as it feels like only yesterday.

Can't imagine that myself, BB. Some of the lads on here weren't even born but it seems like it was just a few years ago. The excitement of watching us that year will remain a really special memory. We were back in business as a club and a team.