Older fans, Alex Ferguson?

gsa

Was the reason he never took the job not that he didnt want to go behind the manager at the time's back (Jock Wallace I think) because he respected him so much?

I have read his autobiography.

It was a mix of not wanting to let down his Chairman at Aberdeen (Dick Donald) and the less than enthusiastic response to signing Tims.

He attended the Old Firm Ibrox disaster match with Andy Roxburgh and yes, his Dad and Brother are Celtic fans.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be fair to Sir Alex he has always said that he was a Rangers supporter. Watched a interview with him on Rangers TV that was about Xmas time last year and despite what went on when he left the club has always said he was a true blue

he was. but his dad (and brother?) werent.

Who did his brother and dad support then??

read this

Alex Ferguson, had attended the game as a spectator with his brother Martin, and left the ground before the tragedy occurred. His brother Martin had left minutes later, but went to a nearby pub on his way home and returned to the family home in Govan just before his brother and a family friend were about to report his absence to the police.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Ibrox_disaster

I did say i wasnt sure about the brother. But the dad was a tim as far as I am led to believe

To be fair to Sir Alex he has always said that he was a Rangers supporter. Watched a interview with him on Rangers TV that was about Xmas time last year and despite what went on when he left the club has always said he was a true blue

Celtic. I believe his old man had something to do with the Govan Emerald CSC. (not 100% but pretty sure, will ask my old man when i home)

cheers (tu)

read this

Alex Ferguson, had attended the game as a spectator with his brother Martin, and left the ground before the tragedy occurred. His brother Martin had left minutes later, but went to a nearby pub on his way home and returned to the family home in Govan just before his brother and a family friend were about to report his absence to the police.

That quote only says his brother was a bear.What about his dad?

read this

That quote only says his brother was a bear.What about his dad?

I am pretty certain his old man was a shettleston harrier.

My take was that he was a decent player but nothing special and yes he took a lot of flak for celtics cup final goal. The catholic wife thing is bollocks and just stirring.

Basically you can see today Alex is a very self confident man perhaps even cocky and he was probably like that back then. Whenever your actual ability doesn't match the level of player you make yourself out to be it can cause friction and I think thats the underlying problems he had.

A bit too big for his boots and not the star player he wanted to be seen as ? I'd say this had a lot to do with how he was treated in the end and why he bears a grudge.

remember it well, nothing to do with his wife AT ALL !!!!! This was a response to the story at the time doing the rounds in the media that Rangers fans were going to abuse his wife ( NONSENSE, she was at most games and never even got a bad shout aimed at her, she was a normal nice lady and he was a confident and good guy ) . The reason he left was that he was a fantastic finisher but a poor player all round. He struggled to match Jim Forrest ( who was booted out the club for berwick rangers I think ) and in those days NO FAILURE was tolerated and after he lost Billy McNeill in the cup game , due to the precedent set by kicking Forrest ( a superior player ) after one bad game, due to a better player getting kicked out for not even making a mistake but just being there this was to be the end of Alex.

So there we ave it from someone who was there, good finisher, poor player and then scapegoated by the club for losing the Celtic captain at a corner. it is THAT simple. Nothing to do with Catholics or religion or his wife.

It is a little off topic bearing in mnd all thats happening today but anyway...I have a bit of a query regarding Alex Fergusons time at Rangers, one of my mates who is a huge Man Utd fan (and worships 'Sir Alex' like everyone else seems to) insists he would have become a Rangers legend were it not for his wife being Catholic. Frankly I think he is a hypocritical old bully who has everyone running scared of him and his international record would suggest he was not a great player but rather a decent one. I also believe that other players at Rangers at the time must have had Catholic connections that didn't lead to them being kicked out.

Any older supporters who were around at the time remember what really happened?

I saw him play and he was ok, a decent player. He really used his elbows well. Similar to Maxie Murray in that way.

Cannot remember exactly why he left, but I think there was something about his wife being a Catholic.

Hi! NV,I remember him to be very good in the air(elbow assisted)wish he could spend a bit of time with Boyd. :craphead:

It is a little off topic bearing in mnd all thats happening today but anyway...I have a bit of a query regarding Alex Fergusons time at Rangers, one of my mates who is a huge Man Utd fan (and worships 'Sir Alex' like everyone else seems to) insists he would have become a Rangers legend were it not for his wife being Catholic. Frankly I think he is a hypocritical old bully who has everyone running scared of him and his international record would suggest he was not a great player but rather a decent one. I also believe that other players at Rangers at the time must have had Catholic connections that didn't lead to them being kicked out.

I saw him play and he was ok, a decent player. He really used his elbows well. Similar to Maxie Murray in that way.

Cannot remember exactly why he left, but I think there was something about his wife being a Catholic.

Hi! NV,I remember him to be very good in the air(elbow assisted)wish he could spend a bit of time with Boyd. :craphead:

Hi PB - I have the same memory. Boyd does go up leading with his right elbow a lot ha ha. Hope its not getting too cold for you up in the far North. Wet here just now. Maxie Murray was all elbows too. Remember him?

Alex Ferguson was simply not good enough. Remember the Scottish cup final in 1969, Colin Stein suspended, Ferguson playing centre forward, manager Davie White told sir Alex to mark McNeill at set pieces, so first corner within a couple of minutes and who scores the first goal totally unmarked, yep Billy McNeill. He never played first team football again for the Gers.

Alex Ferguson had one good year 1967-1968, but the Gers signed Colin Stein who was a much better striker, pure and simple. The board knew about the religion of his wife before he signed I am sure, but after the 1969 Scottish cup final he was dropped to the reserves, so he left..................Follow.................Follow.........................Coli

n

[/quote

I was at that game Colin.I've got this picture in my head,of Ferguson being sent off that day. Right or wrong?:unsure:

My old man said Ferguson was an ok player back then at a time when Scottish football had lots of very good players playing domestically and also plenty of very good ones down south. Today a guy like him would be seen as a good player but back then the standard was far higher was how he put it.

Slow day at the rhebel, hherald, evenin thims or wherever ? :sherlock:

Hi PB - I have the same memory. Boyd does go up leading with his right elbow a lot ha ha. Hope its not getting too cold for you up in the far North. Wet here just now. Maxie Murray was all elbows too. Remember him?

I sure do NV.scored a lot of goals for us too (tu) I'll never forget my first Rangers v Celtic game 1957 league cup final 7-1 Celtic :(

Maxie played centre forward that day: Niven, Shearer,Caldow, McColl,Valentine,Davis, Scott,Simpson,Murray,Baird, Hubbard.

We were odds on that day to win as well. doh The old 2-3-5 formation,Do you think it could work for us today?That might be an interesting thread eh?

No I just wanted to know what guys who were around at that time tought. I dislike Ferguson and Man Utd and suspected there might be more to it than the Catholic wife story. Did you even read my original post? There has been alot of good replies and some good discussion, I love hearing stories about that era when Scottish football was good. What is your problem Bluedignity? Do you not think it was a valid topic on a Rangers discussion board?

I sure do NV.scored a lot of goals for us too (tu) I'll never forget my first Rangers v Celtic game 1957 league cup final 7-1 Celtic :(

Maxie played centre forward that day: Niven, Shearer,Caldow, McColl,Valentine,Davis, Scott,Simpson,Murray,Baird, Hubbard.

We were odds on that day to win as well. doh The old 2-3-5 formation,Do you think it could work for us today?That might be an interesting thread eh?

My first OF game too. My granfdfather took me. I was 7 years old. he really should have known better. Left at halftime with bottles being thrown all over the place. Valentine who I think came from Queens Park had a howler that day. Never forget it.

remember it well, nothing to do with his wife AT ALL !!!!! This was a response to the story at the time doing the rounds in the media that Rangers fans were going to abuse his wife ( NONSENSE, she was at most games and never even got a bad shout aimed at her, she was a normal nice lady and he was a confident and good guy ) . The reason he left was that he was a fantastic finisher but a poor player all round. He struggled to match Jim Forrest ( who was booted out the club for berwick rangers I think ) and in those days NO FAILURE was tolerated and after he lost Billy McNeill in the cup game , due to the precedent set by kicking Forrest ( a superior player ) after one bad game, due to a better player getting kicked out for not even making a mistake but just being there this was to be the end of Alex.

So there we ave it from someone who was there, good finisher, poor player and then scapegoated by the club for losing the Celtic captain at a corner. it is THAT simple. Nothing to do with Catholics or religion or his wife.

This.

I remember reading an article laying the ghost to his wife being catholic that led to his sudden departure. It was a time when Stein's Celtic were beating us left, right and centre. It was the turmoil of this time that led to his being scapegoated for our defeat to Celtic.

My first OF game too. My granfdfather took me. I was 7 years old. he really should have known better. Left at halftime with bottles being thrown all over the place. Valentine who I think came from Queens Park had a howler that day. Never forget it.

Valentine was supposed to be our new George Young(before the game) Don't think he ever kicked a ball for us after the humiliation. :blush:

No I just wanted to know what guys who were around at that time tought. I dislike Ferguson and Man Utd and suspected there might be more to it than the Catholic wife story. Did you even read my original post? There has been alot of good replies and some good discussion, I love hearing stories about that era when Scottish football was good. What is your problem Bluedignity? Do you not think it was a valid topic on a Rangers discussion board?

Valid enough, but did it to death as you know cause you've been floatin about long enough to know ! Fergie is a cunt, will be looked after from cradle to grave by the lhabour party ! :sherlock:

Valid enough, but did it to death as you know cause you've been floatin about long enough to know ! Fergie is a cunt, will be looked after from cradle to grave by the lhabour party ! :sherlock:

I have never seen in mentioned on here. Your right about the Labour party and it is part of what makes 'Sir' Alex so distasteful imo, he's the big time socialist who accepted a Knighthood and works for an American venture capatalist owned coorporation who make their money selling tv rights and merchandise to South Koreans.