''Walter can go on until hes 71 just like Sir Bobby''

Dextor

My old man received more caps for England than I ever did and he never once pulled the Three Lions over his chest.

But that was the immense charm of Sir Bobby Robson, who played at the same time as my dad and couldn't get dad's name out his head whenever I turned up to play international football.

It was always: "Tony this" or "Tony that". Graham Taylor did likewise when he called me into his squad for the one and only time for a game in the Czech Republic.

On that occasion I went through him - the only time in my career I had a serious bust-up with a manager. But Taylor was no Sir Bobby and let's just leave it at that.

Sir Bobby came to mind as I read details of the shameful plot to oust Walter Smith as Rangers boss last January in a desperate bid to appease the club's bankers.

For what it's worth I'd like to think Walter will be associated with Rangers for a long, long number of years to come - a decade at least in one shape or form.

You shudder to think where Rangers would be sitting today had the ill-conceived plan been given the go ahead - certainly not having just competed in the Champions League as winners of the SPL.

In times of crisis every club needs a constant and Walter more than fills that role as he holds everything together during this troubled time.

Managerial experience should never be under-estimated in football and at the age of 61 Walter is just coming into his prime in terms of the wisdom and knowledge he can impart around the club, not just among players. The Swedish great Nils Liedholm, who played in the 1958 World Cup final and won Serie A four times as a player with Milan, was my first coach at the club and the same age as Walter when I arrived in Italy in 1984.

It seemed to me he knew everything about football and life and I couldn't fail to learn from his wise counsel, an education I was also privileged to receive under Sir Bobby, God bless him.

I could sit and listen to his pearls of wisdom on football and life and there was absolutely nothing you could not discuss with him, including important family issues.

Every month without fail during my two years on the sidelines with an ankle injury he would call to ask how my rehab was progressing. At the same time flowers would arrive for my wife that made her feel special and let us know we were always in his thoughts.

Sir Bobby continued in top flight management until the age of 71 and that's why I'm surprised at this general public acceptance Walter will very shortly be stepping down as Rangers boss.

He has surprised no one who knows him by agreeing to work on without a contract until Rangers find a new owner by which time the future will be less uncertain for my former club and its worried fans.

Walter could go in six months but might stay on for another six years, or 10, and no one could complain. He will know when the time is right and when he does step down the Scottish game should stand up and give him a round of applause for all he has achieved.

He'll remain as manager but it's not beyond the realms of possibility he'll move to become director of football and use his contacts and experience to help a younger boss, possibly Ally McCoist. I don't think Walter would take that role with any other club than Rangers.

Retirement remains as far away as Walter wants it to be, although I can't contemplate the club without him. He's Mr Rangers with a haul of 17 trophies surpassed only by Bill Struth.

Theremust be times he looks across the training ground on rainy and windswept Wednesday afternoons in the depths of winter and wonders what he's still doing at the sharpest edge.

But Walter is fit and has bags of energy. Football in general and Rangers in particular remain in his blood.

There will come a day of his choosing when he opts to spend more time on the beach or the golf course, with his two boys and his grand kids and wife Ethel who will have undoubtedly made sacrifices over the years to allow the career of her husband to flourish.

But Walter knows that time isn't now because the club's position is too precarious and he will be key to helping Rangers to a period of stability again even if there were those in the background too blind to see only 12 months ago.

The job Walter has performed in the last three years has been nothing short of remarkable and were he to be forced to walk away it would have the effect of setting off a snowball down a mountain.

Players trust him implicitly - take it from me,in terms of man-management I knew of none better and I was also fortunate to work with guys such as Fabio Capello.

No one needs reminding I had a capacity for hot-headedness when I led the line at Ibrox but I never once had a bust-up with Walter because I had far too much respect for the way he went about his business.

He has been there, seen it and done it all. He is the ideal man to steer the ship through a safe passage and some troubled waters and into a new era.

If he wasn't around today Rangers would be sinking in a sea of mediocrity.

Well said big Mark :clap:!

My old man received more caps for England than I ever did and he never once pulled the Three Lions over his chest.

But that was the immense charm of Sir Bobby Robson, who played at the same time as my dad and couldn't get dad's name out his head whenever I turned up to play international football.

It was always: "Tony this" or "Tony that". Graham Taylor did likewise when he called me into his squad for the one and only time for a game in the Czech Republic.

On that occasion I went through him - the only time in my career I had a serious bust-up with a manager. But Taylor was no Sir Bobby and let's just leave it at that.

Sir Bobby came to mind as I read details of the shameful plot to oust Walter Smith as Rangers boss last January in a desperate bid to appease the club's bankers.

For what it's worth I'd like to think Walter will be associated with Rangers for a long, long number of years to come - a decade at least in one shape or form.

You shudder to think where Rangers would be sitting today had the ill-conceived plan been given the go ahead - certainly not having just competed in the Champions League as winners of the SPL.

In times of crisis every club needs a constant and Walter more than fills that role as he holds everything together during this troubled time.

Managerial experience should never be under-estimated in football and at the age of 61 Walter is just coming into his prime in terms of the wisdom and knowledge he can impart around the club, not just among players. The Swedish great Nils Liedholm, who played in the 1958 World Cup final and won Serie A four times as a player with Milan, was my first coach at the club and the same age as Walter when I arrived in Italy in 1984.

It seemed to me he knew everything about football and life and I couldn't fail to learn from his wise counsel, an education I was also privileged to receive under Sir Bobby, God bless him.

I could sit and listen to his pearls of wisdom on football and life and there was absolutely nothing you could not discuss with him, including important family issues.

Every month without fail during my two years on the sidelines with an ankle injury he would call to ask how my rehab was progressing. At the same time flowers would arrive for my wife that made her feel special and let us know we were always in his thoughts.

Sir Bobby continued in top flight management until the age of 71 and that's why I'm surprised at this general public acceptance Walter will very shortly be stepping down as Rangers boss.

He has surprised no one who knows him by agreeing to work on without a contract until Rangers find a new owner by which time the future will be less uncertain for my former club and its worried fans.

Walter could go in six months but might stay on for another six years, or 10, and no one could complain. He will know when the time is right and when he does step down the Scottish game should stand up and give him a round of applause for all he has achieved.

He'll remain as manager but it's not beyond the realms of possibility he'll move to become director of football and use his contacts and experience to help a younger boss, possibly Ally McCoist. I don't think Walter would take that role with any other club than Rangers.

Retirement remains as far away as Walter wants it to be, although I can't contemplate the club without him. He's Mr Rangers with a haul of 17 trophies surpassed only by Bill Struth.

Theremust be times he looks across the training ground on rainy and windswept Wednesday afternoons in the depths of winter and wonders what he's still doing at the sharpest edge.

But Walter is fit and has bags of energy. Football in general and Rangers in particular remain in his blood.

There will come a day of his choosing when he opts to spend more time on the beach or the golf course, with his two boys and his grand kids and wife Ethel who will have undoubtedly made sacrifices over the years to allow the career of her husband to flourish.

But Walter knows that time isn't now because the club's position is too precarious and he will be key to helping Rangers to a period of stability again even if there were those in the background too blind to see only 12 months ago.

The job Walter has performed in the last three years has been nothing short of remarkable and were he to be forced to walk away it would have the effect of setting off a snowball down a mountain.

Players trust him implicitly - take it from me,in terms of man-management I knew of none better and I was also fortunate to work with guys such as Fabio Capello.

No one needs reminding I had a capacity for hot-headedness when I led the line at Ibrox but I never once had a bust-up with Walter because I had far too much respect for the way he went about his business.

He has been there, seen it and done it all. He is the ideal man to steer the ship through a safe passage and some troubled waters and into a new era.

If he wasn't around today Rangers would be sinking in a sea of mediocrity.

Well said big Mark :clap:!

Are you Walter Smith in diguise???

"Well said big Mark"?

Is this some story that Mark Hately has published in some newspaper, and if so is this the same Mark Hately who was slating Rangers recently? Bit of a contradiction in terms.

This should be Walter's last season in charge irrespective of any buy out and irrespective of whether you like him or not, it is time for him to move on.

Aye, very good. That would be the same old rat bag Sir Baw-Bee who just couldn't help himself bad-mouthing The Rangers support. He called us "monsters" and added, "These people call themselves football fans, but they should go and wash their mouths out with soap and water."

Aye, the same Sir Baw-Bee that was splashed all over the Sun newspaper for a series of, shall we say, "indiscretions" with a lady of the night down at Portman Road.

And this pillar of society a married man too. :wanker:

I'm sure this "staunch" RC will have plenty of time to reflect on his earthly life whilst he sits, or so it is claimed, in their "purgatory" whilst waiting for his sins to be absolved.

Oh wait, I forgot, Mark Hateley's already done that. :wanker:

Aye, very good. That would be the same old rat bag Sir Baw-Bee who just couldn't help himself bad-mouthing The Rangers support. He called us "monsters" and added, "These people call themselves football fans, but they should go and wash their mouths out with soap and water."

Aye, the same Sir Baw-Bee that was splashed all over the Sun newspaper for a series of, shall we say, "indiscretions" with a lady of the night down at Portman Road.

I'm sure this "staunch" RC will have plenty of time to reflect on his earthly life whilst he sits, or so it is claimed, in their "purgatory" whilst waiting for his sins to be absolved.

All that is completely irrelevant. If Walter can stay fit and healthy i see no reason why he can't manage into his 70's like Sir Bobby.

All that is completely irrelevant. If Walter can stay fit and healthy i see no reason why he can't manage into his 70's like Sir Bobby.

Hopefully not Rangers

Totally agree with you mate, Walter can manage a club until he is into his 70's

Just not Rangers.

No chance, he'll be binned in the summer, and rightly so.

I certainly don't think he'll be binned if we win another title.

What board in their right mind would sack a manager who has just won back to back titles?

New owners would probably want a new manager.

That's certainly a possibility but i'm led to believe Dave King and Graham Duffy would both keep him on if either of them takeover.

What board in their right mind would sack a manager who has just won back to back titles?

That's certainly a possibility but i'm led to believe Dave King and Graham Duffy would both keep him on if either of them takeover.

Well there is a flaw in your argument there, neither of these two are wealthy enough to buy out Rangers on their own and be the majority shareholder which means that even if either of them were keen on Walter staying they woulnd't have a majority say in the matter if whoever made up the rest of any consortium said otherwise.

Because his time is up, he can no longer take Rangers forward, he's past it.

Being slightly better than a piss poor celtc side isn't good enough, they are not the bench mark, but sadly, for some, that's good enough and is acceptable.

Well there is a flaw in your argument there, neither of these two are wealthy enough to buy out Rangers on their own and be the majority shareholder which means that even if either of them were keen on Walter staying they woulnd't have a majority say in the matter if whoever made up the rest of any consortium said otherwise.

I don't think you can pass that off as fact mate. We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. (tu)

Because his time is up, he can no longer take Rangers forward, he's past it.

Being slightly better than a piss poor celtc side isn't good enough, they are not the bench mark, but sadly, for some, that's good enough and is acceptable.

Personally i think he'd be asked to stay if we win the title Muff.