Cricket

Rugby

football

tennis

darts (?)

Any more??

I know golf originated in Scotland.

Darts? I think some tribe in the Rain Forrest have dibs on that one. :rolleyes:

Football (soccer), Rugby, Tennis, Cricket, Hockey, Badminton, Table Tennis, Darts and Snooker

Rounders (the basis for baseball) and Bobsleigh were also English inventions, while Golf and Curling originate from Scotland

wiki answers :lol:

So far, I can only think of several sports that originated in England:

Cricket

Rugby

football

tennis

darts (?)

Any more??

Scotland: Golf,Curling,and Basketball and sheep shagging. :blush:

Football (soccer), Rugby, Tennis, Cricket, Hockey, Badminton, Table Tennis, Darts and Snooker

Rounders (the basis for baseball) and Bobsleigh were also English inventions, while Golf and Curling originate from Scotland

Echoing Fog's reply: wiki answers. Hockey. Say what? <cr> Someone who wrote that in that wiki piece should have specify what kind of hockey- ice or field??

Echoing Fog's reply: wiki answers. Hockey. Say what? <cr> Someone who wrote that in that wiki piece should have specify what kind of hockey- ice or field??

guessing Field ;) we don't have much ice :P

Golf developed as a proper sport in Scotland yes, but it originates from a game in the Netherlands ivolving balls and sticks, a folk game known as "colf". There were versions of what we call sport now from rural folk games all over the world. The English just decided to make them more formal as transport developed and rural communities developed into towns and cities. These codified games, like football, rugby and cricket were spread with the British empire, but games like these already existed. They got given rules and etiquette. In fact it was Scots within the British Empire who were mostly responsible for the spread of football to the world. Then a lot of them became a lot better than Scotland at the sport :rolleyes:

Anyway, thought you may like to know some social history of sport :sherlock:

So far, I can only think of several sports that originated in England:

Cricket

Rugby

football

tennis

darts (?)

Any more??

Scotland: Golf,Curling,and Basketball and sheep shagging. :blush:

OI! We invented that sport, and what a sport :crywank:

:lol:

Earlier today, a friend sent me an email, so I read what it said:

Pretty interesting fact

The first testicular guard or "Cup" was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974. It took 100 years for men to realize that the brain is also important.....

I was very skeptical of this "fact" because I knew hockey players wore helmets way before 1974. I am not really even sure about the first testicular guard was used in 1874.

I found one website that had to say about this...

Pretty interesting fact....but not surprising....

The first testicular guard or "Cup" was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974. It took 100 years for men to realize that the brain is also important.....

This was written by some unknown female

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f18/ot-...it-info-121480/

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Ho.../evolution.html

The first player credited with wearing a helmet was Boston Bruins' rookie defenseman George Owen in 1928. Owen had played football at Harvard before joining the Bruins and he wore his leather football helmet when he joined the NHL.

Despite a career-ending head injury to "Ace" Bailey in the 1933-34 season, helmets didn't become common for many decades. On January 13, 1968, Minnesota North Star centre Bill Masterson struck his head on the ice during a game against the Oakland Seals. He died forty-eight hours later. This tragedy led to many players wearing helmets, though they were still in the minority.

By the 1970's, it was mandatory for junior and college players to wear helmets, but not until the 1979-80 season did the National Hockey League pass a rule stating all players joining the league after that point had to wear a helmet.

Last but not the least, let's see what this lady responded to a question:

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/history/2009/05...p-used-in-1874/

Good afternoon Savannah,

Someone e-mailed your witty “little known fact” which intrigued me enough to research this topic.

First, admit you were wrong providing horrible information with little to no facts intact.

Next, history lessons need be left for the serious quenchers for knowledge.

Nonetheless, ma’am enjoy your Monday, it is quite pleasant.

Respectfully submitted,

Griselda

Savannah below responded:

I APPRECIATE your need for the truth.

I do also like to report the truth and that is why I qualified that statement by putting it on my web-site just waiting for someone to question its validity. And you have along with few others.

The dates are very believeable especially when you research “first helmet in Hockey”…”first game in hockey” and so on…. and these dates fall close to the first OFFICIALLY RECORDED dates. For example. Hockey is known to have begun in the year 1800 with the first officially organized indoor game played March 3, 1875 at the Victoria Skating Rink in Montreal. Prior to playing hockey indoors, it was played outdoors first. Hence the date difference (before it was officially recorded which happened after it was played indoors) Due to flying pucks, and sticks that did not have a length mandate, men were very much aware of what a puck in the genitals or a stick beween the legs could do to a player, creating an advantage for the opposing team. They were more in tune with gaining an advantage then safety.

Another vulnerable spot was the back of the heal of the foot, which was later solved by requiring a hardened protective/metal piece placed in the skate boot and now is apart of the boot itself.

A helmet did not become a serious consideration until after Jan 15 1968 when the NHL had its first fatality due to a head injury. In 1970 it was still voted down to have a mandatory helmet rule even after the fatality. In 1975 there was an average of only 5 players who wore them in the NHL,. And finally, John Zeigler, President of the hockey league, I believe it was, mandated in August 1979, that anyone signing a contract after a particular date, it would be mandatory that all players in the NHL wear helmets on their heads. Prior to that date few protected their heads…it was not considered to be manly and was blamed for vision imparement.

These dates do not mean #1, no games were played before 1875 nor does it mean that it wasn’t until 1979 that players did not try the helmet out (especially leather or early plastic ones that basically protected an existing injury ,but did not necessarily prevent any.) Anyone in Hockey can attest to seeing what ancient protective gear looked like for the genitals and that there were not protective helmets for the head before a particular point in time. One did come before the other. I have been associated with hockey for the past 18 years and had I not been familiar with the information…I would not have shared it. Wrong? No, I will not admit that when you consider when the recorded history occurred. It is, in fact, a “glimpse” of real history. And I repeat a “glimpse”. I did share it with the public because it had some merit, and I found it somewhat humerous when you consider which one became standard equipment before the other.

Have a Historical Day!

Savannah

Football was first played in China way before anyone played it.

I'll bite.

Its the rules of the game that were invented in England. 11 a side, standard pitch sizes, goalposts, 2 points for a win, the league set-up etc. Before this, football was played by up to 100's a side, no time limit to games and various local rules.

A few drawings of Chinkies kicking about a circular object does not mean they invented football.

Went ahead to look for more info on the history of hockey going from field hockey to ice hockey.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/histor...-ice-hockey.htm

Interesting stuff from this link.

The British in the past were the ones who brought sports to other countries.

thats cause we used to rule half the world :pierre: