Smith accuses referee of changing story over Miller dismissal

Dado

RANGERS manager Walter Smith last night accused ref Willie Collum of concocting a cover-up story to justify sending off Kenny Miller.

Record Sport yesterday revealed the Ibrox boss was privately seething over the whisler's refusal to reverse his decision following an official appeal to have the striker's red card overturned.

Collum remains adamant Miller was guilty of violent conduct in a clash with Dundee United defender Darren Dods - and by sticking to his guns the official has ensured the player will be banned from tomorrow's Old Firm derby at Parkhead.

Collum is fourth official for the powderkeg clash - and he's certain to get a frosty reception from Smith who insists the ref changed his version of events since watching the flashpoint again on television.

In an official statement on Thursday the SFA insisted Collum was convinced Miller had been guilty of trying to kick AND punch Dods as the two players tangled on the ground.

But Smith swears this flies in the face of the explanation the ref gave to his players moments after sending Miller packing.

The manager said: "We are extremely disappointed by the referee's decision.

"It's especially hard to understand how he can uphold the red card given that, during the game, he was telling our players Kenny Miller had kicked Dods in the head.

"That was the reason he gave for producing a red card. But, having watched the TV evidence myself, that is clearly not the case.

"The referee is adamant this was violent conduct but from watching the tapes I have to say there is not even a great deal of anger being shown by either of the players. You would expect to see anger involved in acase of violent conduct.

"That's why I'm disappointed in his decision not to change his mind. It seems obvious he got it wrong.

"You only need to look at the reaction of the other players. In a genuine case of violent conduct you would expect to see players from both teams rushing in to get involved.

"Not one Rangers or Dundee United player felt any need to get involved. That tells you everything.

"Had the referee not made that decision Miller and Dods would simply have got up and got on with the game."

Smith insisted Collum's decision has undermined the integrity of the entire appeals process and has called upon the SFA to ensure that, in future, such matters are dealt with by an independent body.

He said: "How can you have an appeals process which is dependent upon the referee admitting that he got it wrong in the first place?

"It doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense."

Daily Record.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith insisted Collum's decision has undermined the integrity of the entire appeals process and has called upon the SFA to ensure that, in future, such matters are dealt with by an independent body.

He said: "How can you have an appeals process which is dependent upon the referee admitting that he got it wrong in the first place?

Absolutely true, I just can't get my head around that at all. Nowhere else in life do you appeal to the person who made the original decision <cr>

Absolutely true, I just can't get my head around that at all. Nowhere else in life do you appeal to the person who made the original decision <cr>

Ludicrous to say the least. An appeal should always go one higher than the person who made the original decision (at least).

An appeals process that requires admitting your wrong - UNWORKABLE and stupid in the extreme! Last season it took 5 months to set up the Loovens appea - now we have appeals, to the man who made the decision, within 24 hours - NEITHER system is anyway near what it needs to be - for any team. Oh welll that is for another day now we just have to beat them without Miller and that would be a good GIRFUY result!

This shows what is wrong with our game. I'll acept that Collum could have made a mistake on the park but not to admit his mistake after watching it again is a disgrace.

This shows what is wrong with our game. I'll acept that Collum could have made a mistake on the park but not to admit his mistake after watching it again is a disgrace.

It should never be up to him to admit it. Who likes to admit they are wrong?

Sense no make. I agree, what is the point of appealing to the man who made the decision. It should go to a 3rd party (SFA Video Review Panel).

Collum is a die-hard Septic fan, who works day to day with die-hard Septic fans, who's wages are paid by die-hard Septic fans.

The man is as biased as could be imagined and should be kicked out of Scottish Football, let alone ruling on decisions with direct consequences for hsi beloved hoops.

Once again Walter hits the nail bang on the head and highlights the stupidity of the appeal process.

gollum is a bheggar cheat and well done Wattie for highlighting it, over to you now SDM, defender of the faith ? :rolleyes::sherlock:

Unfair.

I actually think he's one of our better referees and certainly isn't a cheat.

What about not booking Dodds for chopping down Miller when he gave the penalty away? What about the booking for Little for his first challenge? Maybe not cheating but pretty shite desicions.

gollum is a bheggar cheat and well done Wattie for highlighting it, over to you now SDM, defender of the faith ? :rolleyes::sherlock:

Unfair.

What about not booking Dodds for chopping down Miller when he gave the penalty away? What about the booking for Little for his first challenge? Maybe not cheating but pretty shite desicions.

Like most refs there are occasions when he'll call it wrong - that's only human. To call the guy a cheat is ludicrous and narrow minded.

An appeals process that requires admitting your wrong - UNWORKABLE and stupid in the extreme! Last season it took 5 months to set up the Loovens appea - now we have appeals, to the man who made the decision, within 24 hours - NEITHER system is anyway near what it needs to be - for any team. Oh welll that is for another day now we just have to beat them without Miller and that would be a good GIRFUY result!

can people stop comparing this incident to the loovens incident ffs

what happened in the loovens incident is the ref or a disciplinary body looked at the incident the ref missed and decided loovens needed punished,

whenever a straight red card appeal is initiated, it goes straight to the ref in question, then HE decides wether it should go further, as in bougherras incident

also loovens one was too close to the end of the season, the disciplinary body had fiished for the summer by the time they could all get together

Like most refs there are occasions when he'll call it wrong - that's only human. To call the guy a cheat is ludicrous and narrow minded.

As a devout catholic with an interest in scottish football he's almost certainly a celtic fan, he teaches day to day in a school with the vast majority celtic fans, even his fellow teachers and bosses with all be celtic fans or sympathisers!

He's a Tim. Simples.

Unfair.

Some are so quick to defend referees when any suggestion of bias is made, but is it so hard to believe that guys in Scotland have any sway towards one side of the old firm?

Like I keep saying, if I was a referee I certainly would do my utmost to help Rangers, I just wouldn't be able to help myself. I don't think it's so hard to believe that some of these guys may do the same.

He has sent him off for kicking him in the head, replays clearly show he hadn't done that. So surely the red card is unjustified?

What has happened here is that he has cunted up his decision, he's then seen a replay after the game and realised this, but noticed that maybe Miller has made contact with his hand. So he's then changed his story to ensure Miller does receive a suspension.

What should happen is after every game, before the referee gets the chance to see any replays, he should be put in-front of an interviewer who should ask his to justify any controversial incidents in the game. They play such a huge role in the game, so I don't see why this is unfair.

It's quite clearly a case of cheating here by the referee, and shows up the appeals system for the joke that it is!

Collum is a die-hard Septic fan, who works day to day with die-hard Septic fans, who's wages are paid by die-hard Septic fans.

The man is as biased as could be imagined and should be kicked out of Scottish Football, let alone ruling on decisions with direct consequences for hsi beloved hoops.

doh

Sadly, you probably believe this nonsense.

doh

How do you know it is nonsense? Do you know him personally?

doh

You beg the question - have you ever even been to Scotland mate? What part of the catholic football fan = celtic supporter equation dont you agree with?

doh

You beg the question - have you ever even been to Scotland mate? What part of the catholic football fan = celtic supporter equation dont you agree with?

Have I ever been to Scotland? I've spent my whole life living in Glasgow. And incase you didn't know we have many Catholics here that support Rangers,

Davy. Yes, I do know Willie personally.