Preston make Ferguson appointment

Muff

Darren Ferguson is set to take over as manager of championship side Preston North End, BBC Sport understands.

The 37-year-old, who was also interviewed by Sheffield Wednesday, spoke to the Preston board on Sunday and has accepted their offer.

Ferguson left Peterborough by mutual consent in November with the club bottom of the Championship.

The Scot, son of Manchester United boss Sir Alex, will replace Alan Irvine, who was relieved of his duties last week.

Preston chairman Derek Shaw is known to be an admirer of Ferguson and previously suggested he could be an an ideal candidate.

"Darren Ferguson did a fantastic job at Peterborough so he's obviously in the frame," said Shaw a week ago.

Following Irvine's dismissal, BBC Sport understands Preston interviewed five potential candidates before settling on Ferguson, who secured back-to-back promotions in his two years in charge of Peterborough.

Ferguson won 73 of his 145 games in charge at London Road.

Reading expressed an interest in the Scot in the summer but he signed a new four-year contract at Peterborough in July after he was refused permission to speak to the Royals.

Since leaving Peterborough, Ferguson has been linked with several managerial posts including the vacancy at Sheffield Wednesday.

He was also thought to be in the frame to replace Owen Coyle at Burnley when the Clarets boss completes his move to Bolton

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...v_1/8442546.stm

Preston North End have unveiled Darren Ferguson as their new first team boss.

The 37-year-old Scot takes charge of the Lilywhites after signing a three-and-a-half year deal at Deepdale and brings with him his former Peterborough coaching team Kevin Russell and Scott Taylor.

Ferguson forged an impressive CV during a two-and-a-half year tenure as manager at Peterborough United, gaining consecutive promotions for the Cambrideshire club taking Posh from League Two to the Championship.

The son of Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, Darren began his playing career at Old Trafford playing an important role in the Club's 1992/93 Premiership winning team. Ferguson moved away from United to help fire Wolverhampton Wanderers to two Play-Off campaigns as the Molineux club aimed to regain top flight status.

The midfielder spent the bulk of his career at Welsh club Wrexham where he spent eight years and made more than 300 appearances. His highlights at the Racecourse Ground included winning promotion to Division Two and scoring a goal in the club's LDV Vans Trophy victory over Southend at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

The new North End boss will be unveiled to the press at a special 4pm press conference.

http://www.pnefc.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10...1924615,00.html

My brother is a Man Utd fan and I had managed to make him think that SAF had gpt the sack. The back of the paper that morning said 'Axed' with a picture of SAF. Then later on I put on teletext and it said 'Ferguson to be named Preston boss' He thinks Ferguson has got the sack :pipe:

Anyway on topic, a good appointment for Preston. If they can get the success he had at Peterborough they will be doing well.

My brother is a Man Utd fan and I had managed to make him think that SAF had gpt the sack. The back of the paper that morning said 'Axed' with a picture of SAF. Then later on I put on teletext and it said 'Ferguson to be named Preston boss' He thinks Ferguson has got the sack :pipe:

Anyway on topic, a good appointment for Preston. If they can get the success he had at Peterborough they will be doing well.

:lol: :lol: Quality

:lol:

and it must be handy having SAF as your Dad if you are a manager

Waste of time, they have an average at best squad and no money unless they get big money for St Ledger which i doubt. Ferguson's experience consists of taking a team up with far more resources than most of the other challengers. Not sure he'll be able to cope without splashing the cash about.

Waste of time, they have an average at best squad and no money unless they get big money for St Ledger which i doubt. Ferguson's experience consists of taking a team up with far more resources than most of the other challengers. Not sure he'll be able to cope without splashing the cash about.

(tu)

This will be his acid test.

This will be interesting.

IMO it was almost certain he'd be being considered for a PL job with the chopping and changing.

Maybe he knows he isn't ready?

Maybe he's just scared to fail at a high level at a young age.

He'll learn a lot about management at Preston, and we'll learn a lot about him.