Mixed Emotions For Danny

Stu1993

DANNY WILSON has admitted that yesterday's stunning League Cup final win over St. Mirren left him feeling both immensely proud and deeply disappointed.

The 18-year-old was sent off in the 71st minute of his first major final and remarkably it was the first time he had ever been shown a red card at any stage of his career.

As a result Danny joined Kevin Thomson in Rangers' Dressing Room at Hampden and both players had to watch the remainder of the game on TV.

When Kenny Miller scored the winning goal with just seven minutes left the pair jumped for joy and celebrated like the thousands of Rangers fans in the stadium.

At the final whistle the youngster was understandably thrilled to get his first senior medal but he was also gutted to leave his team with just nine men at such a crucial stage of the game.

Speaking exclusively to www.rangers.co.uk he said: "I was delighted to play in the final but you never expect to get sent off.

"To make matters worse it is the first time I have been shown a red card, even at youth level I have never been sent off.

"I was really disappointed, when I turned around to look at the ref I thought he was just going to show me a yellow card.

"When I saw the red come out I was absolutely gutted but I have looked back at it on TV and I can understand why he sent me off.

"At the time I thought that Davie was coming across but seeing it again I was perhaps the last man.

"It's not easy for the referee to make those decisions but I can't have too many complaints.

"I watched the rest of the game in the Dressing Room and the boys were absolutely fantastic.

"To win it they way they did was great and it says so much about the squad of players we have at the club right now."

Watching the last 20 minutes of the final in a Dressing Room was not what Danny had planned going in to the biggest game of his career.

He said: "When I was sent off I felt that I had let everyone down.

"Myself and Kevin Thomson were just sitting there stunned more than anything else.

"But when when the goal went in we just started jumping up and down.

"We were both delighted and probably relieved at the same time.

"It was a strange emotion seeing the boys celebrating the goal and not being on the pitch but I am just happy that we won."

At the final whistle both Danny and Thommo believed that they would not be allowed to walk up the Hampden steps to lift the trophy and collect their medals.

But Walter Smith ordered Kenny McDowall to get both of them from the Dressing Room to join their teammates and lifting the League Cup was an great moment for the club's talented teen.

He added: "Both Kevin and I thought that we couldn't go up to collect our medals after being sent off and if that had been the case it really would have been a sickener.

"But a few people including Kenny (McDowall) ran in to the Dressing Room and told us to get out and join the rest of the boys.

"Obviously it was a great feeling to get a medal and when I look back at the game I will be really proud to have played a part in such a fantastic League Cup win.

"But in the back of my head I can't stop thinking about getting sent off and that emotion is still a bit raw right now."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100322/mixed-emotions-for-danny_2254024_2001976

this just shows you how much spirit is in the rangers squad right now :praise:

But Walter Smith ordered Kenny McDowall to get both of them from the Dressing Room to join their teammates and lifting the League Cup was an great moment for the club's talented teen.

He said: "When I was sent off I felt that I had let everyone down.

"Myself and Kevin Thomson were just sitting there stunned more than anything else.

"But when when the goal went in we just started jumping up and down."

Odd behaviour for an apparent dyed-in-the-wool tim, eh?

:rolleyes:

Posted this in another thread earlier on.

The moment when Kenny McDowall went running down the tunnel, then to emerge with both Danny Wilson, and Kevin Thomson, arm around the both of them was a cracking sight, and one that just goes to show the team spirit, and respect for one and another.

Fcuking superb moment.

The moment when Kenny McDowall went running down the tunnel, then to emerge with both Danny Wilson, and Kevin Thomson, arm around the both of them was a cracking sight, and one that just goes to show the team spirit, and respect for one and another.

Fcuking superb moment.

I Would have been heartbroken if we didnt get to see both of them lifting the trophy and being awarded their winners medal. The team spirit must be at a all time high right now and most of this is down to the great man Smith.

Fcuking superb moment.

That will be yet another sign of the incredible class our manager (and team) has.

Many many could (but wont) learn a thing or 10 from them