Liverpool confirm Reina signed six-year deal at Anfield

Liverpool have confirmed that goalkeeper Jose Reina has signed a new six-year contract at Anfield.

The Spaniard has been in discussions with the club for a number of months and recently announced that he expected to put pen to paper.

Terms have now been agreed and former Villarreal player Reina, who moved to England in 2005, has followed the likes of Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Daniel Agger and Dirk Kuyt in committing his long-term future to Liverpool.

The 27-year-old told his club's official website: "I'm delighted to sign a new contract. It's probably the best news of my life that I'll be here for the next six years. Me and my family are really happy here.

"To play for Liverpool is very special. I've been here for five years and now I will be here for six more and it's very exciting.

Huge achievement

"It's very important that my family love it here as well, as family life is just as important as my career.

"My wife told me from the beginning she was more than happy here. My kids enjoy it and they have picked up the Scouse accent already. I am really proud of that.

"In the years ahead they will speak much more Scouse too."

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez will view the deal as a huge achievement as Reina has probably been his club's best and most consistent player in a disappointing season.

The Spain international has emerged as arguably the leading goalkeeper in the Premier League and will hope to continue that form against Fulham on Sunday, when the Reds will bid to keep hopes of a top-four place alive.

Reina was also a member of the Liverpool side who reached the semi-finals of the Europa League following a quarter-final victory over Benfica on Thursday night.

Great keeper but should probably be looking to leave Liverpool for somewhere like AC Milan who need a top goalie and are gonna be in the UCL more often than not.

I can see Liverpool missing out on the top 4 for a few years if Man City get it this year, which they hopefully do.

Great keeper but should probably be looking to leave Liverpool for somewhere like AC Milan who need a top goalie and are gonna be in the UCL more often than not.

I can see Liverpool missing out on the top 4 for a few years if Man City get it this year, which they hopefully do.

Agreed.

Perhaps Europa League and 2nd/3rd choice with Spain is the limit of his ambition from now on in.

He's settled in Liverpool, is playing at a high level in the Premiership on very good wages and never needs to worry about being dropped or replaced.

For a goalkeeper i think that is a pretty good situation to be in. Good bit of business for both sides i'd say.

Credit to Pepe Reina. He could easily have moved on to a bigger and better club but he chose to stay at a club where he is settled, loves playing, and get's on great with the supporters.

Best keeper in the World IMO. You could say he is a bit dodgy at crossed balls, but who isn't!?

Just a pity the 'undroppable' Iker Casillas is ahead of him in the Spanish team.