Chairman: "Keeping Walter, Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall is definitely a high

Boab

Apr 9 2010 Exclusive by Euan Mclean

Rangers chairman Alastair Johnston last night vowed keeping Walter Smith at Ibrox next season is his top priority.

But he still fears the club's turbulent financial situation could convince Smith to walk out in the summer - despite the manager's recent public assurance that he's willing to continue working without a contract if Gers need him.

In an exclusive interview with Record Sport Johnston admitted he can't guarantee there will be cash to spend on new players this summer - even with the prospect of a £10million Champions League windfall for winning the SPL.

Cash-strapped Rangers have gone almost two years without signing a player and Johnston knows it's possible Lloyds Bank will again refuse to sanction spending when they meet the board at the end of the season.

That's why Johnston is cautious when welcoming Smith's comments that he won't walk out on the club if it's still in crisis - because he can't guarantee the situation won't deteriorate to a level the boss won't accept.

Johnston said: "It's heartening to hear Walter say that but there's a lot of things that can happen between now and the end of the year that will influence his decision.

"For sure the club would like to see Walter back again next year. But I'm not going to take everybody at their word at this point because with the ever-changing situation you have to be constantly taking the temperature of people.

"Keeping Walter, Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall is definitely a high priority. We must figure out if Walter will be there next season and what Plan B would be if he did decide to go.

"Obviously that's one of the biggest issues that has to be addressed.

"We are on track to have a good year financially but there's a lot of things that can happen between now and June when the transfer window opens.

"So we have to have plan A, B and C for when we go back to the bank to negotiate for the new season.

"Plan A obviously involves income from the Champions League. But there are so many moving factors at the moment that I can't say yes or no to whether we will be able to bring in new signings in the summer .

"We are sensitive to the fact we have a squad that has done tremendously well this year with scarce resources.

"Hopefully we hang on to our lead in the league and do the business."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2010/04/09/keeping-walter-smith-at-rangers-is-my-top-target-admits-ibrox-chairman-alastair-johnston-86908-22172768/

He sure likes his plan A,B and C.

But there are so many moving factors at the moment that I can't say yes or no to whether we will be able to bring in new signings in the summer .

Worrying. This squad needs a number of signings!

He sure likes his plan A,B and C.

But there are so many moving factors at the moment that I can't say yes or no to whether we will be able to bring in new signings in the summer .

Worrying. This squad needs a number of signings!

I agree. We must strenghthen the squad in the summer.Not sure how long this current squad can keep it going TBH especially if 2 0r 3 of our big players leave.It's the best time to look to bring guys in when the team is doing well. U only have to look a the farce across the city when drastic overhauls are being made to an unsuccessful team.