Motherwell challenge post split fixtures

Ozblue

I think most people would regard it as a total joke and a concept that should be scrapped.When you look at the bottom 6 for instance,

Aberdeen play 20 home games and 18 away games... the other 5 sides play 19 each home & away.How fair is that when relegation from the SPL will cost a team a motza.Weird science indeed.

heres an idea , stop saying no to an exanded league then you wont have this fixture pish <cr> oh wait thats right you'll lose revenue that way as well , we'd be as well asking them when and where you want to play as your never fucking happy

I think most people would regard it as a total joke and a concept that should be scrapped.When you look at the bottom 6 for instance,

Aberdeen play 20 home games and 18 away games... the other 5 sides play 19 each home & away.How fair is that when relegation from the SPL will cost a team a motza.Weird science indeed.

I knew those scum would get the benefit of the split, and they need those home games less than their relegation rivals.

Hopefully Falkirk and St Mirren can use this as dressing room material and Aberdeen will get relegated.

In 2008 Rangers were handed consecutive away fixtures to Celtic after the split. One of those was a "pre-split" game that had been postponed in January. We still had two other "pre-split" games outstanding - Motherwell and St Mirren.

The Celtic fixtures were in between the UEFA Cup semi-Finals, so we had Celtic-Fiorentina-Celtic-Fiorentina.

Why did we not play St Mirren in place of the first Celtic fixture. We would have to have played them, if they needed points to get into the top six, so it would have been possible.

In my opinion we were deliberately given the hardest possible end to the season, when we were trying for a European Final.

Who was involved in the decision making process? What was the rationale behind this fixture allocation? Two away games at Celtic Park between trips to Florence. We ended up winning neither the League nor the UEFA Cup.

If people in Scotland want to talk about corruption in Scottish football, look no further than season 2007-08.

In 2008 Rangers were handed consecutive away fixtures to Celtic after the split. One of those was a "pre-split" game that had been postponed in January. We still had two other "pre-split" games outstanding - Motherwell and St Mirren.

The Celtic fixtures were in between the UEFA Cup semi-Finals, so we had Celtic-Fiorentina-Celtic-Fiorentina.

Why did we not play St Mirren in place of the first Celtic fixture. We would have to have played them, if they needed points to get into the top six, so it would have been possible.

In my opinion we were deliberately given the hardest possible end to the season, when we were trying for a European Final.

Who was involved in the decision making process? What was the rationale behind this fixture allocation? Two away games at Celtic Park between trips to Florence. We ended up winning neither the League nor the UEFA Cup.

If people in Scotland want to talk about corruption in Scottish football, look no further than season 2007-08.

In addition to the above, our last game of the season was at Aberdeen.

Celtic were allowed to postpone a game (against Rangers) because of the death of a former player, whilst the Dundee United team, who witnessed Phil's death, were not allowed to have their next game postponed.

Every team had to play on Gretna / Motherwell's glue pot pitch, except Celtic, who played one of the Gretna games at Livingston's ground.

Equity?

Is SPL the only league that has split fixtures? Just wondering.

I watch football from all over the world and the SPL is the only one that I know of that has a split where teams get cut with 5 games to go and some teams play more at home than away or vice-versa.....Maybe some fuckin diddy place like

Whiddleydiddleystan has picked up the concept but ain't telling us.

Is SPL the only league that has split fixtures? Just wondering.

I watch football from all over the world and the SPL is the only one that I know of that has a split where teams get cut with 5 games to go and some teams play more at home than away or vice-versa.....Maybe some fuckin diddy place like

Whiddleydiddleystan has picked up the concept but ain't telling us.

It's to cut down on the number of fixtures. Clubs would have to play 44 games if we played each other 4 times. Could you imagine the crisis that would have caused, in the season of Rangers UEFA Cup Final? That season we played 38 league games, 19 games in Europe, and also played in two Cup Finals. Could you imagine if we had to play another 6 league games?

There are alternatives - a 10 team league playing 4 times, but that was thought to be too small a league. A 14 team league would mean playing three times, or having 52 game league if we played 4 times. A 16 team league playing twice or an 18 team league playing twice. The last option is where we moved from back in 1975.

Despite it's crtics, I think the split is a reasonable way of reducing the fixtures.