Jimmy Bowie Old Rangers Player

minstral

I was reading about him and its amazing to read that he was a player, director, and ended up as chairman of our club. No other Rangers player in our history has ever ended up as chairman, and it said that he was disposed in a boardroom coup and they say that he never set foot in Ibrox again. I know some fans cant be bothered with reading about the old days, but some of the stuff is fantastic to read about. :)

Have you ever read 'Ten Days That Shook Rangers'?

It has a chapter on the boardroom coup of 1947 when Bowie was ousted.

A great read, basically arguing that that was the point when control of our Club's business was removed from former players and given to businessmen, without which minty would possibly never have darkened Ibrox's doorstep....

A great read, basically arguing that that was the point when control of our Club's business was removed from former players and given to businessmen, without which minty would possibly never have darkened Ibrox's doorstep....

Manti i have never read it and will try to get a copy,it looks a great read. (tu)

(tu) Will try to get this :sherlock:

I was just googling about Bowie.

He played 299 times for the Club from 1919 to 1922, winning 5 league titles.

Just imagine it, he played for us in 1910. He'd have been at Ibrox before the Main Stand was built, and he lived to see us win a European trophy.

He was also President of the Scottish Football League from 1939-1946.

I just found this quote that I vaguely remembered:

Chairman Jimmy Bowie said on completion of the main stand in 1929: This is our magnificent new main stand. It holds 10,000 and we could fill it ten times over with young boys who want to play for the Rangers.

http://www.sportingo.com/football/a9333_murrays-ibrox-facelift-must-mirror-ambitions-hopes-rangers-fans

I was just googling about Bowie.

He played 299 times for the Club from 1919 to 1922, winning 5 league titles.

Just imagine it, he played for us in 1910. He'd have been at Ibrox before the Main Stand was built, and he lived to see us win a European trophy.

He was also President of the Scottish Football League from 1939-1946.

Manti that is amazing.

The things you can dig up about the History of our great Club could keep you reading for 2 lifetimes.

It is a fascinating History, not just about the Football side of it but also the Social aspect of life in general through the ages.I never get sick of reading that kind of stuff.

Great post Manticore!(tu)

The boardroom revolt of 1947 came about following Jimmy Bowie's suggestion that Bill Struth should retire and become a director. Struth took this badly, and with the help of other major shareholders, outfoxed and ultimately ousted Bowie at the annual meeting.

When you read 10 Days That Shook Rangers and the chapter on how Bowie was ousted by Struth, one feels some sympathy for Bowie and contempt for Struth over this issue, Strruth comes out a winner in the boardroom struggle but he looks like a bully in this case, no disrespect to Struth as our manager or his accomplishments but in this case he comes out not so rosie