Tax bill is not going to sink us

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: 17 May 2010

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

RANGERS chiefs have moved to calm fears that a £54million tax bill could plunge them into administration.

The SPL champs are fighting the taxman in a big-money row over a loophole used by several clubs.

It had been claimed Gers faced a £24m 'assessment of liability' which would deepen debts of £31m.

It was also reported that interest and backdated penalties to HMRC could send the tax bills spiralling to a staggering £54m and the debt rocketing over £80m.

Ibrox sources last night insisted, however, the bulk of any tax bill will be laid at the door of Murray Holdings.

If the taxman wins his legal fight, only a fraction of the liability would be due by Gers.

Rangers have reiterated that former chairman Sir David Murray will be vigorously fighting the tax charges.

A club statement read: "We can confirm there is an ongoing query from HMRC which is part of a pending court case.

"On the basis of expert tax advice provided to Rangers, the club is defending the matters raised.

"It would therefore be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

SunSport understands the Ibrox hierarchy are not fearful of being hit with a bumper bill by the taxman. Chairman Alastair Johnston has confirmed the matter is one being dealt with by Murray Holdings.

He said: "It is not a new issue.

"Tax issues are never clear cut, but all I can say is that we have taken a lot of legal advice on the issue.

"I do not think it should be a material concern for us in the longer term.

"It's something the Murray Group have been dealing with and taking care of."

Gers expect to hear back from Lloyds Bank in the next 72 hours over the budget for next term.

Chief executive Martin Bain held a top-level summit with the club's bankers last week.

He's eager to finalise a business plan which will allow Walter Smith to make plans for the SPL title defence.

Smith has yet to confirm he'll stay as manager amid fears of savage budget cuts and the loss of key players.

Gers have offered out of contract defender Kirk Broadfoot a three-year deal on improved terms.

Ibrox stopper Madjid Bougherra has seen a possible £5million move to Hamburg collapse.

Hamburg sacked their boss Bruno Labbadia three weeks ago and have put transfer moves on hold until a successor is put in place.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2975056/Tax-bill-is-not-going-to-sink-us.html

im sick of all these "ibrox sources"

Its these "ibrox sources" who are sick mate.................sick of seeing us win everything whilst their hooped paedo ring win hee haw.

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: 17 May 2010

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

RANGERS chiefs have moved to calm fears that a £54million tax bill could plunge them into administration.

The SPL champs are fighting the taxman in a big-money row over a loophole used by several clubs.

It had been claimed Gers faced a £24m 'assessment of liability' which would deepen debts of £31m.

It was also reported that interest and backdated penalties to HMRC could send the tax bills spiralling to a staggering £54m and the debt rocketing over £80m.

Ibrox sources last night insisted, however, the bulk of any tax bill will be laid at the door of Murray Holdings.

If the taxman wins his legal fight, only a fraction of the liability would be due by Gers.

Rangers have reiterated that former chairman Sir David Murray will be vigorously fighting the tax charges.

A club statement read: "We can confirm there is an ongoing query from HMRC which is part of a pending court case.

"On the basis of expert tax advice provided to Rangers, the club is defending the matters raised.

"It would therefore be inappropriate to comment further at this stage."

SunSport understands the Ibrox hierarchy are not fearful of being hit with a bumper bill by the taxman. Chairman Alastair Johnston has confirmed the matter is one being dealt with by Murray Holdings.

He said: "It is not a new issue.

"Tax issues are never clear cut, but all I can say is that we have taken a lot of legal advice on the issue.

"I do not think it should be a material concern for us in the longer term.

"It's something the Murray Group have been dealing with and taking care of."

Gers expect to hear back from Lloyds Bank in the next 72 hours over the budget for next term.

Chief executive Martin Bain held a top-level summit with the club's bankers last week.

He's eager to finalise a business plan which will allow Walter Smith to make plans for the SPL title defence.

Smith has yet to confirm he'll stay as manager amid fears of savage budget cuts and the loss of key players.

Gers have offered out of contract defender Kirk Broadfoot a three-year deal on improved terms.

Ibrox stopper Madjid Bougherra has seen a possible £5million move to Hamburg collapse.

Hamburg sacked their boss Bruno Labbadia three weeks ago and have put transfer moves on hold until a successor is put in place.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2975056/Tax-bill-is-not-going-to-sink-us.html

Obviously I'd rather he stayed till we found a worthy replacement but to be fair, I wouldn't mind Bougherra going to Hamburg. Then I could stick him on the back of my Hamburg shirt!! :wink: