Zenit paid 50Million to win v bayern i semi final

UEFA: No fixing evidence around Zenit-Bayern match

May 31, 2010, 12:38 GMT

test

Hamburg - The European football body UEFA said on Monday it had no evidence of match-fixing at a 2008 UEFA Cup semi-final between Zenit St Petersburg and Bayern Munich.

Confronted with a news report about an allegedly intensified probe into the game, a UEFA spokesman dismissed this in a statement to German Press Agency dpa.

'We have looked into the matter and found nothing which would justify UEFA opening a disciplinary procedure in this case,' the statement said.

Zenit dismissed the reports as 'utter nonsense' and said the investigation was long closed. A statement from Munich was not available immediately.

Citing a member from the UEFA disciplinary commission, the website of German magazine Stern reported on Monday that UEFA intensified a fixing probe into the May 1, 2008, game which Munich lost 4-0 in St Petersburg. The Russians went on to lift the trophy against Glasgow Rangers.

Spanish authorities launched investigations later in 2008 after local media reported on tapped phone conversations involving Russian organized crime members in Spain. One suspect is said to have bragged about fixing the Zenit-Bayern game for '50 million,' not naming the currency.

Madrid daily ABC said on Monday that neither UEFA nor Spain's court of justice had sufficient evidence to press manipulation charges even though there were serious assumtions that the game had been fixed.

It remained unclear whether a statement from Spain would be available on the case later Monday.

UEFA: No fixing evidence around Zenit-Bayern match

May 31, 2010, 12:38 GMT

test

Hamburg - The European football body UEFA said on Monday it had no evidence of match-fixing at a 2008 UEFA Cup semi-final between Zenit St Petersburg and Bayern Munich.

Confronted with a news report about an allegedly intensified probe into the game, a UEFA spokesman dismissed this in a statement to German Press Agency dpa.

'We have looked into the matter and found nothing which would justify UEFA opening a disciplinary procedure in this case,' the statement said.

Zenit dismissed the reports as 'utter nonsense' and said the investigation was long closed. A statement from Munich was not available immediately.

Citing a member from the UEFA disciplinary commission, the website of German magazine Stern reported on Monday that UEFA intensified a fixing probe into the May 1, 2008, game which Munich lost 4-0 in St Petersburg. The Russians went on to lift the trophy against Glasgow Rangers.

Spanish authorities launched investigations later in 2008 after local media reported on tapped phone conversations involving Russian organized crime members in Spain. One suspect is said to have bragged about fixing the Zenit-Bayern game for '50 million,' not naming the currency.

Madrid daily ABC said on Monday that neither UEFA nor Spain's court of justice had sufficient evidence to press manipulation charges even though there were serious assumtions that the game had been fixed.

It remained unclear whether a statement from Spain would be available on the case later Monday.

cheers mate (tu)

So, when you take Marseilles cheating in 92/93 and also Zenits dodgy dealing in 2008 into account, we should really have 3 European trophies to our name. I would mention that we lost the 67 ECWC Final to Bayern on Bayerns home ground, but I wont. Oh, I did. Well, lets just call it 4 Euro trophies (3 by default) and move on.......possibly with a few more stars on our jerseys. :happy:

I would like to know if the referee in the 1961 ECWC Final (both legs) was a pape . If so, I'm claiming that trophy too. :D

So, when you take Marseilles cheating in 92/93 and also Zenits dodgy dealing in 2008 into account, we should really have 3 European trophies to our name. I would mention that we lost the 67 ECWC Final to Bayern on Bayerns home ground, but I wont. Oh, I did. Well, lets just call it 4 Euro trophies (3 by default) and move on.......possibly with a few more stars on our jerseys. :happy:

I would like to know if the referee in the 1961 ECWC Final (both legs) was a pape . If so, I'm claiming that trophy too. :D

You have my vote

we lost the 67 ECWC Final to Bayern on Bayerns home ground

Wrong, the final was in Nuremburg.

It doesn't even matter where the final was. Liverpool beat Roma at the Olimpico, Steaua beat Barcelona in Seville, Zenit could claim we were on home soil.

get it up ye timmy

thats 4, yes count those fingers on your hand, 4 EURO TROPHIES :D

First leg ref: Erich Steiner of Austria.

Second leg ref: Vilmos Hernádi of Hungary.

Fiorentina's manager was the great Nándor Hidegkuti, also Hungarian ....

we lost the 67 ECWC Final to Bayern on Bayerns home ground

Wrong, the final was in Nuremburg.

It doesn't even matter where the final was. Liverpool beat Roma at the Olimpico, Steaua beat Barcelona in Seville, Zenit could claim we were on home soil.

Ok,I'll rephrase that.....Bayerns back yard. Either way it as hardly neutral. Having only seen the game from inside my dads bawbag, I may have got 1 or 2 minor details wrong. :rolleyes:

First leg ref: Erich Steiner of Austria.

Second leg ref: Vilmos Hernádi of Hungary.

Fiorentina's manager was the great Nándor Hidegkuti, also Hungarian ....

Humourectomy?