Roy Hodgson appointed Liverpool manager

Roy Hodgson poised to become new Liverpool manager

Hodgson has also been linked with the England manager's job

Roy Hodgson is set to be appointed Liverpool's new manager by Thursday, BBC Sport understands.

The Reds were granted permission to speak to the 62-year-old two weeks ago by his current club Fulham.

Hodgson has also been linked with the England manager's job following the team's humiliating exit from the World Cup but Liverpool have acted quickly.

The Englishman will replace Rafael Benitez in the Anfield hot seat after the Spaniard left at the start of June.

"Hodgson has always been the number one target of the board at Anfield to replace Benitez," said Ian Dennis, BBC Radio 5 live's senior football reporter.

"After Fulham granted Liverpool permission to speak to Hodgson, it was just a matter of the clubs agreeing a compensation deal for him."

Hodgson has been in charge of Fulham since December 2007 and signed a new 12-month rolling contract in December 2009.

Although he suffered a difficult start to his tenure, winning only nine points from his first 13 league matches, he saved the club from relegation in 2007-2008, securing survival on the final day of the campaign.

The following season he steered the club to seventh place in the Premier League - their highest finish - and a place in the Europa League.

His achievement in guiding Fulham to the final of that competition, with wins over Juventus and Wolfsburg en route, resulted in him being named manager of the year by the League Managers Association in May.

Hodgson has also managed Italian giants Inter Milan, Blackburn and Switzerland, who he guided to the last 16 of the 1994 World Cup.

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill, former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini, ex-Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink, Croatia coach Slaven Bilic and former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes have all been linked with the Liverpool post.

Meanwhile, Marseille coach Didier Deschamps, who had also been linked with the Liverpool job, has extended his contract at Marseille by a year until June 2012.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8721942.stm

At least it isnt Martin O'Neill :pipe:

Yes at least it wasnt O'Neill, would have hated him in charge with his stupid dancing up and down the touchline doh Will reserve judgement on Hodgson until the season starts but surely he cant be worse than what Rafa "acheived" last season <cr>

Madina, I agree, if it had been oneil I'd probably have to stop supporting Liverpool for a couple of seasons, Fucking despise the cunt.

Hodgson will probably only get money if mascherano, gerrard/torres, carragher/agger, kuyt and bennayoun leave.

Must get the yanks out of there! And fast!

Gutted to hear this.

Hodgson is one of my favourite managers and Liverpool are one f my most disliked clubs.

I think he will do a good job.

Same here mate. It will certainly be interesting see how he fairs..........

The only doubt I have is if Liverpools big players i.e Gerrard, Torres, Benayoun & Mascherano (if they are still there) are going to buy into the regimented and meticulous approach of Hodgson.

As talented a manager as he is a large part of the reason is he was successful at Fulham is because they were no individuals. A lot of the more ego driven, big name players at big clubs don't like that. Not one bit.

Good piece about Hodgson from April time.

Roy Hodgson has enhanced his reputation by dismantling others.

His Fulham side have displayed the impertinence of upstarts in defeating Wolfsburg, Juventus and Shakhtar Donetsk on their way to 
the Europa League 
semi-final against Hamburg. The progress has been unexpected, but it relies upon a profound sense of order.

Few managers spend more time working on training-ground routines than Hodgson. His players are meticulously instructed, as every routine is devised specifically for the next fixture, and at times Fulham have performed with a measured restraint that has foiled more illustrious opponents. Even so, if the thinking is regimented, it still allows room for incredulity.

Fulham have defeated Liverpool and Manchester United this season, but it is European competition that has proved most invigorating. Few would have predicted that a 3-1 defeat to Juventus in Turin could be overcome, but logic was discarded in Fulham’s 4-1 victory in the return leg at Craven Cottage. “We should retire, because it’s not going to get any better than this,” Hodgson said in the heady aftermath.

He was being facetious, but the Fulham manager would never allow himself to fall into hyperbole. His entire management career has been based on imparting method and discipline into teams. Occasionally, there have been accusations of rigidity, but Hodgson’s sides are never sterile. Fulham seldom deviate from 4-4-2 and the wide players, while expected to track back, are encouraged to be audacious.

Hodgson, at 62, is a contemporary of the coaching beliefs that shaped the likes of Don Howe, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables. He does not lead a team by the magnetism of his personality (although he is a captivating individual), and he is distrustful of the cult of managerial celebrity. His faith is that in being scrupulous, and devising a wholesale strategy, will bring reward.

“Every day in training is geared towards team shape,” says Simon Davies, the midfielder. “It’s certain drills defensive, certain drills attacking, and we work very hard at it. There are no diagrams. It’s all on the pitch with the ball, nothing unopposed. We do a lot of work after every game on analysis, sorting the bad things out, sorting the good things out.”

The results have been vindicating. Fulham were 19th when Hodgson replaced Lawrie Sanchez in December 2007, and the remainder of the season was spent on the verge of relegation. It was Diomansy Kamara’s late winning goal against Manchester City, when Fulham fought back from 2-0 down at half-time, that prompted a surge of optimism. They won their following two games to stay up, on goal difference, at Reading’s expense. The following season, Hodgson’s side were seventh in the league, Fulham’s highest finish.

Mavericks are too temperamental to fit into Hodgson’s conscientious approach, so Jimmy Bullard was sold to Hull for £5m and some of the money spent on Dickson Etuhu, an industrious, hard-running midfielder. Other signings have included Bobby Zamora, a striker whose career needed to be rejuvenated, Andrew Johnson, a proven goalscorer, Mark Schwarzer, a dependable goalkeeper, and Brede Hangeland, an imposing centre-back.

“He changed the whole way we were playing,” said Danny Murphy, the midfielder. “He made us more of a footballing team than the direct-ball team under Lawrie. His knowledge of the game, his philosophies . . . he has that temperament a manager needs. He never gets too down, and he doesn’t let us get too carried away when we’re having a good spell.”

Fulham’s rise has been achieved with self-effacement. Hodgson has sought players willing to work on behalf of the team rather than their own prominence. In spending frugally, and wringing the most out of his players, Hodgson has become a sage-like figure. He is the kind of manager who would instantly restore credibility to Celtic, but his work has been so persuasive that there is already a conviction that he is the ideal candidate to follow Fabio Capello as the England manager.

He might be wary of the acclaim. Despite a management career at club and international level that was accomplished, a dismal spell at Blackburn – the only club to have sacked Hodgson – seemed to have prejudiced opinion in England. A player with Tonbridge, Gravesend & Northfleet, and Maidstone, Hodgson has had to strive for eminence.

He took Internazionale to the Uefa Cup final in 1997, only to lose to Schalke, but has won five league titles in Sweden and Denmark. Hodgson has also managed three international sides, most notably Switzerland, who he took to the finals of the World Cup and the European Championships.

His stature has never been greater, but the prestige has accumulated over time. Fulham, in their humility, seem appropriate. Ahead of the away leg of the quarter-final against Wolfsburg, the German press did not ask about team selection, but whether or not Hugh Grant, a Fulham supporter, would be attending. Hodgson would have smiled wryly; he is comfortable being unassuming.

Madina, I agree, if it had been oneil I'd probably have to stop supporting Liverpool for a couple of seasons, Fucking despise the cunt.

Hodgson will probably only get money if mascherano, gerrard/torres, carragher/agger, kuyt and bennayoun leave.

Must get the yanks out of there! And fast!

Can see the Yanks sticking around for a while yet :(. When I was at Anfield last season Tom Hicks walked right past me, should have gave the guy pelters but thought harrasing an OAP might get me arrested :). Think this season winning a domestic cup, getting back into the top 4 and a Europa League final are realistic aims. Surely this season cant be as bad as last season for Liverpool <cr>

Think this season winning a domestic cup, getting back into the top 4 and a Europa League final are realistic aims.

You can't be serious?

With Liverpools money problems & current piss poor squad there is no way that can be a realistic aim.

Rafa treated the cups with contempt, he very rarely played his first choice team in these games. If the likes of Portsmouth and Aston Villa can get to the finals of these competitions I dont see why a full strenghted rejuvinated Liverpool cant. Last season we were rank but still got the Europa semi finals, Hodgson got Fulham to the finals against teams who on paper Fulham should never have beaten, he knows the European game well. The top 4 will be a closer run thing this season, Spurs wont get in the top 4 this season, only Man City realistically have a chance and they will be Liverpool's biggest rivals for 4th place. Im not saying its going to be easy but it can be done

They wont be near the top 4 this season, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, will be ahead of them, they will do well to get 6th or 7th ahead of Villa & Everton with the squad they have at the moment

Hodgson is rumoured to have been given a 15 million budget and he's going to go after Gilberto Silva, Danny Murphy, Brede Hangeland & Rafael Van Der Vaart.

I think all four would be good signings, but if it happens I expect the Liverpool fans will be outraged that he's planning to bring Silva in & Murphy back.

Liverpool have confirmed the appointment of former Fulham boss Roy Hodgson as their new manager.

The 62-year-old has signed a three-year deal at Anfield to replace Rafa Benitez following the Spaniard's departure last month.

Hodgson ,who has been touted a possible successor to Fabio Capello should the Italian leave his role with England, has been Liverpool's top target for some time and they have now finally got their man after agreeing a compensation package with Fulham.

Hodgson's stock has risen sharply since guiding Fulham to the final of the Europa League last season and he was named manager of the year by the League Managers Association in 2009/10.

The former Inter Milan and Blackburn boss is relishing the prospect of taking over at Liverpool describing the job as the 'biggest in club football'.

"This is the biggest job in club football and I'm honoured to be taking on the role of manager of Britain's most successful football club," Hodgson told the club's official website.

"I look forward to meeting the players and the supporters and getting down to work at Melwood."

He is likely to be joined at Anfield by his trusted assistant Mike Kelly, although Sammy Lee - brought in by Benitez because of his coaching credentials and links to the club's successful past - is expected to be given a role somewhere in the new set-up.

Britain's most successful football club

EH?

Thoughts?

They will do well to finish 5th this season, with man city stronger than last year, man u chelski and the gunners also atleast as strong as the previous year, and spurs no doubt looking for another strong season, cant see liverpool doing much even under a very good manager.

Hodgson is rumoured to have been given a 15 million budget and he's going to go after Gilberto Silva, Danny Murphy, Brede Hangeland & Rafael Van Der Vaart.

I think all four would be good signings, but if it happens I expect the Liverpool fans will be outraged that he's planning to bring Silva in & Murphy back.

....and then they'll look and see that they've got Lucas and Aquilani and think 'maybe not a bad idea!' :pipe:

Well they aren't and if they hadn't had a decorated history they'd be fucking nobodies.

I actually laughed out loud at the stupidity of that hahahahahahaha

No shit sherlock hahahahaa