Brazilian Talent

Gaffbear

I was watching a programme last night about the rise of Ronaldinho from poverty to superstardom...In the programme it showed you the Gremio under 17 team playing and other under 17 teams and the talent is unbelievable..

The Dutch have scouts and so do the French watching these kids..I remember Ronaldo was at PSV and Ronaldinho at PSG then sold on for big bucks....

Maybe i'm being daft but wouldn't it make sense for us to have scouts over there picking up talent and giving them a foothold in Europe...

Just a thought before i start work.

The immigration laws would be the stumbling block to this idea. If we get a new backer one of their first tasks should be buying up a small club in the likes of Belgium and then using it as a halfway house.

The immigration laws would be the stumbling block to this idea. If we get a new backer one of their first tasks should be buying up a small club in the likes of Belgium and then using it as a halfway house.

I also think the massive change in culture would be difficult for a 16/17 year old kid to handle.

A halfway club in Belgium is the way forward.

of course they need international caps before they come here, by which stage they will be 'too good' or expensive for us!

unless we can find ones with european passports :craphead:

belgium and scotland are both part of the EU so i dont understand ur reasoning on this one?

care to shed some light on the ins & outs matey?

belgium and scotland are both part of the EU so i dont understand ur reasoning on this one?

care to shed some light on the ins & outs matey?

They have more relaxed laws towards immigration from outside the EU and once there, players can acquire a passport which allows free movement of labour around the member states.

Cant believed no one has mentioned the weather! Why do you think their has never been an influx of South Americans in British football! Scotland in particular, playing at some shite stadium every other week in the freezing cold, im surprised they're not being held back at the borders.

It'd be interesting to know how many Brazilians have come to the UK and how many can be deemed a success.

I agree with the principle but I'm not sure our miserable climate brings out the best in their abilities and attitude.

Cant believed no one has mentioned the weather! Why do you think their has never been an influx of South Americans in British football! Scotland in particular, playing at some shite stadium every other week in the freezing cold, im surprised they're not being held back at the borders.

Scandinavia and Russia both have a fair few South Americans playing in their leagues, so I don;t know if this theory holds much water. A warm climate would definitely help (not just them....), but I don't know if it'd be the defining factor.

Id love to see the figures. Russia is also huge, it's not a mass of ice and has some real climate fluctuations along its geography.

Scandinavia and Russia both have a fair few South Americans playing in their leagues, so I don;t know if this theory holds much water. A warm climate would definitely help (not just them....), but I don't know if it'd be the defining factor.

Id love to see the figures. Russia is also huge, it's not a mass of ice and has some real climate fluctuations along its geography.

Well take Moscow, for example. Much more extreme than here in temperature, yet each of the city's five Premier League clubs boast at least one South American.

Copenhagen in Denmark would be another example. Copenhagen and Glasgow are broadly similar in temperature and, like ourselves, FCK can't rely on a multimillion TV deal. Yet they have 3 Brazilians on their books at the moment.

Your knowledge of Eastern and Northern European footie is clearly better than mine, so point taken (tu)

I still think it is an important factor. Cold, dull and drizzle is not a climate that is going to attract South Americans.

Well take Moscow, for example. Much more extreme than here in temperature, yet each of the city's five Premier League clubs boast at least one South American.

Copenhagen in Denmark would be another example. Copenhagen and Glasgow are broadly similar in temperature and, like ourselves, FCK can't rely on a multimillion TV deal. Yet they have 3 Brazilians on their books at the moment.

Your knowledge of Eastern and Northern European footie is clearly better than mine, so point taken (tu)

I still think it is an important factor. Cold, dull and drizzle is not a climate that is going to attract South Americans.

Maybe not Brazil, but some areas of Argentina and Uruguay plus the elevated parts of say, Ecuador and Bolivia have cold and wet areas.

The reason the russians can attract the brazilian players is simple they can afford to pay them high wages...we cant!

The problem in attracting them is the same reason why we dont sign talent from Africa or South America for example, we dont have the management with the foresight to have decent scouting networks in place in these countries we dont even have a decent scouting system in this side of the world, and now we've got next to fk all money its not gonna be changing anytime soon!

Maybe a pre-season trip to Brazil/Argentina would increase the profile of the club but obviously there are other factors involved in signing South Americans, wages, work permit, etc

Africa is another market that we should be more involved in