18 years ago we signed Mojo

Danny

Back in them days there wasn't much of an interweb, mobile phones were larger than houses, and the Berlin Wall was coming down.

When we signed him, it went down as (maybe) the biggest signing in Scottish football history. No other signing in my lifetime created the same spotlight that one did.

It was a signing which, in a way, united the OF in disgust. The tims were aghast to lose this symbol of Celtic, and many Rangers fans were appalled to see us sign not only a former Celtic player, but a Catholic too. A major one, a huge one.

Burned Rangers scarfs, abandoned Rangers shirts and scarfs etc - the extremists/diehards were absolutely gutted at this, and many swore they would never return to Ibrox. There are documentaries on YouTube from the time, and they give some indication of how bad it was.

Now, in 2007, hardly a thought is spared for him. For those of you whom that signing wasn't before your time, how do you remember it and is it a signing you are glad we made?

What are your memories of it, and in the end do you think it was actually a good signing?

I have a video of the season he joined, and let's just say that for all those who allegedly handed in their season tickets, well, seeing the glee on the fans faces when he scored (particularly against the tims) seems to show that many thousands (if not more) were willing to support him as a Ger.

Def the biggest signing in my lifetime...though Gazza came close.

Inspired.

Still remember the SUN ...front page...

"Mojo joins Gers"

My major memory was the Sunday Mail's front page as I walked through Ayr as a wee wean, seeing his head on a Rangers jersey in a mock picture.

'This is what he will look like' or similar.

Danny, I personally think it's one of the best things to have happened at Rangers, and I said so at the time as well. It was high time those walls (for which we are still being pilloried to this day) came a tumbling down, and kudos to Souness for grabbing the bull by the horns and starting the process. As for all the fans burning their scarves and such at the time, well... that about sums up why the action was needed in the first place. As you also said, many of those that swore they'd never follow Rangers again when he signed were over the moon when MoJo scored against our old rivals.

I was in a pub on Paisley Road when he scored. The game was on the radio. Im sure he scored right at the end of the game from what I remember.

I was as shocked as anyone at the time when he joined us, but a good move overall in my opinion.

Its interesting to see that hes never (that Ive seen) fondly remembered on RM by the fans.

Was there not a thread a while ago with a list of players names who play were catholics and played for us away before MoJo?

there was gbj, dating right back to the start of the 20th century. There were quite a few, no doubt about it. I cant remember whos thread it was though.

My memory is that I walked into my house and my wife (who has no interest in football but even this had reached her) said "You'll never guess who's signed for Rangers and as a joke I said - Mo Johnston!" I couldn't believe it when she said "That's right"

It was hilarious because of the way it put one over on Celtic and although a number of catholic players had played for us before it had been kept quiet - this was impossible to ignore and chnaged things permanently. A great day for the club IMO.

Was there not a thread a while ago with a list of players names who play were catholics and played for us away before MoJo?

there was gbj, dating right back to the start of the 20th century. There were quite a few, no doubt about it. I cant remember whos thread it was though.

Could be wrong, but I honestly don't think any of those signings were nearly as high profile as Mojo's, mainly due to him being lifted right out from under 'tic's noses. In any case, his signing really did set wheels in motion that previously were only idling in neutral, if indeed the machinery that powered said wheels was even turned on at all.

There may have been precedents, but if you were around at the time of MoJo you might understand the gravity of it m8.

My memory is that I walked into my house and my wife (who has no interest in football but even this had reached her) said "You'll never guess who's signed for Rangers and as a joke I said - Mo Johnston!" I couldn't believe it when she said "That's right"

It was hilarious because of the way it put one over on Celtic and although a number of catholic players had played for us before it had been kept quiet - this was impossible to ignore and chnaged things permanently. A great day for the club IMO.

Nice post (tu)

There may have been precedents, but if you were around at the time of MoJo you might understand the gravity of it m8.

I just posted in here instead of starting a whole new thread because i'm looking for that list (tu)

I just posted in here instead of starting a whole new thread because i'm looking for that list (tu)

I don't know if it's still here. The member who posted it has been removed.

Back in them days there wasn't much of an interweb, mobile phones were larger than houses, and the Berlin Wall was coming down.

When we signed him, it went down as (maybe) the biggest signing in Scottish football history. No other signing in my lifetime created the same spotlight that one did.

It was a signing which, in a way, united the OF in disgust. The tims were aghast to lose this symbol of Celtic, and many Rangers fans were appalled to see us sign not only a former Celtic player, but a Catholic too. A major one, a huge one.

Burned Rangers scarfs, abandoned Rangers shirts and scarfs etc - the extremists/diehards were absolutely gutted at this, and many swore they would never return to Ibrox. There are documentaries on YouTube from the time, and they give some indication of how bad it was.

Now, in 2007, hardly a thought is spared for him. For those of you whom that signing wasn't before your time, how do you remember it and is it a signing you are glad we made?

What are your memories of it, and in the end do you think it was actually a good signing?

I have a video of the season he joined, and let's just say that for all those who allegedly handed in their season tickets, well, seeing the glee on the fans faces when he scored (particularly against the tims) seems to show that many thousands (if not more) were willing to support him as a Ger.

If your question is am I glad that we signed a RC then the fact that we are public enemy number one 18 years down the line means it hardly mattered. He was a good player of course, so yes I'm glad we signed him (tu).

If your question is am I glad that we signed a RC then the fact that we are public enemy number one 18 years down the line means it hardly mattered. He was a good player of course, so yes I'm glad we signed him (tu) .

Let me just remind you guys and the real bigots over at the piggery....

During all my years as a Gers fan the only complaint I ever heard from Smeltic fans was RFC never signed cafliks thats all not one single feckin thing else.

So we sign MoJo but it wasnt to thier liking so they all spat the dummy out and started on the songs we sing our principals our traditions etc ...they barstewards will never be happy until you see the end of RFC

Now thats what I call bigotry hence the reason they are the real bigots with thier own hidden aganda (beer)

Exactly fish, a lot in here are too young to realise that what you are saying is exactly how it was. For me the situation finally became ridiculous when we welcomed our first RC manager to Ibrox with open arms and at the same time were hit with a bigotry charge from UEFA, you really couldn't make it up could you doh

Exactly fish, a lot in here are too young to realise that what you are saying is exactly how it was. For me the situation finally became ridiculous when we welcomed our first RC manager to Ibrox with open arms and at the same time were hit with a bigotry charge from UEFA, you really couldn't make it up could you doh

We should be hiting those barstewards with that everytime they open thier feckin mouths coz thats what I do

Every single time they say something just hit them with that there is no comeback they are lost for words after that the mhanky scum barstewards

Thats if I ever get dragged into a discussion or a debate with the kuntz of course which is very rare...I hate arguing with the scum, if we say a crow is black they will say its white (beer)

I was 19 and had just moved to Jersey when we were in the pub and it flashed up he had signed.

Even the locals and English and Irish boys couldn't believe it.

Well done Souness for again sticking it right up em.

1989/90 season he was great,remember his last minute goal in November 89 to beat Celtic , but never recaptured his form after that as Coisty and Hately stamped their mark.

To start off...the reason there was no Interweb was because I hadn't invented it yet. To me this was the biggest signing in football history...at least for shock value. You mentioned he was an ex-Celtic hero and a Catholic but don't forget he was supposedly a Celtic player again and had been paraded in the green and grey hoops. As a GIRUY this will surely never be beaten?

I think the scarf burning/season book tearing was well overblown myself and the vast majority of Bears got right behind the signing. I think it was a stroke of genius by Souness to not just go for any old Catholic but the most controversial signing possible. I know some Bears still disagree but I think it was a great day for Rangers.

If your question is am I glad that we signed a RC then the fact that we are public enemy number one 18 years down the line means it hardly mattered. He was a good player of course, so yes I'm glad we signed him (tu) .

Let me just remind you guys and the real bigots over at the piggery....

During all my years as a Gers fan the only complaint I ever heard from Smeltic fans was RFC never signed cafliks thats all not one single feckin thing else.

So we sign MoJo but it wasnt to thier liking so they all spat the dummy out and started on the songs we sing our principals our traditions etc ...they barstewards will never be happy until you see the end of RFC

Now thats what I call bigotry hence the reason they are the real bigots with thier own hidden aganda (beer)

;) ..................... (tu)

i wasnt old enough i was just a wee boy when we signed him..but iv read all the stories and that and seen documentaries. apparently it just took 1 goal v celtic to get all the rangers fans back on his side

i wasnt old enough i was just a wee boy when we signed him..but iv read all the stories and that and seen documentaries. apparently it just took 1 goal v celtic to get all the rangers fans back on his side

More or less.....their hatred for him coz he signed for us is now coming back to haunt us in some sort of way coz all this sheeite about songs etc has been simmering with them for years the barstewards, the bitterness that lot have for the mojo signing has never diminished, they hate him for signing and nothing changes with us..they hate our existence, period !! (beer)