***Slovenia vs N.Ireland***

.Williamson.

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans is out of Northern Ireland's team to face Slovenia in Friday night's opening Euro 2012 qualifier in Maribor.

Evans has been ruled out because of a groin injury and it means Blackpool's Craig Cathcart comes in for his international debut.

Up front, David Healy returns to the team in a strike partnership with Oldham's Warren Feeney.

Motherwell's Stephen Craigan marks his 50th cap by captaining the team.

It will be the fourth successive time Craigan has worn the armband with Aaron Hughes standing down for his team-mate.

"I've left Stephen and Aaron to sort out the captain's armband but I think I know where it's going," said Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington.

Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington and skipper Aaron Hughes on Friday's Euro 2012 qualifier against Slovenia

"Stephen will get his 50th and I am delighted for him, he fully deserves it," added the Northern Ireland boss.

"Aaron has been outstanding when it comes to something like this - it is the sign of a good leader.

"I have known Stephen for the last three years and what you get from him is a solid performance.

"He is always there - he is a terrific servant, a fantastic professional and great to have around the group."

Cathcart had been named in previous Northern Ireland squads.

Pat McCourt was left out for the game despite being in goal-scoring form for Celtic in recent weeks.

McCourt is a hugely talented footballer but criticisms of his work-rate have led to him being described as a "luxury player" by some commentators.

Northern Ireland team: Taylor (Birmingham), McAuley (Ipswich), Hughes (Fulham), Craigan (Motherwell), Cathcart (Blackpool), Baird (Fulham), Davis (Rangers), Brunt (West Bromich) McCann (Peterborough), Healy (Sunderland), Feeney (Oldham).

David Healy starting :anguish:

I'll take a draw from this if possible.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He hasn't been playing as good as he did in the European Championships Qualifiers but he's still a match winner

I hope he does score for us tonight, but I really can't see it.

We are going to play 90 odd mintues of defensive football and maybe get the odd set-piece.

You still want him starting though?

Usually not playing for 2 years would lose you your place in the entire squad, nevermind the starting line up.

Of course i do,his goal scoring record for international football is fantastic,fair enough he might be a bit rusty from not playing regular football but i still believe healy has the abilty of finishing the way he did in the euro 2008 qualifiers.

I have hated Scotlands international team ever since that day.

I fucking dispise them and their fans now.

they were never going to respect god save the queen mate.there anti english/british shit does my head in.thats why i dont support them

I have hated Scotlands international team ever since that day.

I fucking dispise them and their fans now.

Them booing God Save The Queen is disgraceful. I think Northern Ireland fans were joining in with theirs as well. Flower Of Scotland is a shite anthem, how is sectarianism going to be kicked out of scottish football if their national anthem carries it on.