Would You Take 3rd Place In CL

Broxi

The thought of Neil Lennon lifting that trophy - just doesn't happen. Get that league won, and don't let anyone or anything get in the way!

Also, being Walter Smith's final season, he deserves it

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No

I want 1sr place in the group. If we can't finish 2nd then we should be aiming for 3rd. (tu)

Can't believe some fans would rather we crashed out of Europe than play in the Europa Cup. :bullshit - Copy:

The prestige and the money of being involved in European competition are vital for a massive club like The Rangers.

I am disgusted at the people who say yes to 3rd!

We go onto the pitch to win EVERY game.

We fight to win EVERY trophy.

We accept nothing but victory until the bitter end.

We are the people.

NO SURRENDER.

Losing the league that year was incredibly damaging given that an automatic Champions League spot was thrown away and we all know what happened in the subsequent qualifier. Losing out on that CL money really brought the financial situation to light, it forced us into selling Carlos Cuellar and spending money on the likes of Mendes and Davis that we possibly didn't even have, not to mention that it let a shite Celtic team get 3 in a row. And what for, getting to a final we didn't even win?

I didn't mind having a decent run in the competition but i think we'd have been better off going out to Sporting Lisbon in the quarter finals and then there wouldn't have been too much distraction or congestion. I went to every home UEFA Cup tie as i'm on the credit card scheme and go to every home match unless there's a good reason not too. But i didn't really care about the competition when i wanted the league so badly, i had a ticket for the final that i gave up due to an exam commitment the next day. Sometimes i wish i had gone just for the experience of being in the city at the time and attending a European final, the game itself wasn't up too much as we bottled it and lost. If we'd won the final i'd probably have had more regrets but in the end we didn't so i've since gotten over it pretty much.

Not that i think if we did get 3rd that another run as long as that would be possible, but i can see where people are coming from who say they'd rather we went out of Europe altogether. I don't want to see Neil Lennon win a title as a manager having seen him win it several times as a player for them, and Walter Smith should get a send off worthy of his time here, and that's another league title!

Hearts 4-2 Rangers - 15 Sep 2007

Rangers 0-1 Hibernian - 06 Oct 2007

Dundee Utd 2-1 Rangers - 28 Oct 2007

Thats why we lost - those games were the first half o the season. those 9 points were vital to us. 2 OF games back to back at torbett towers too (both defeats) and then against the sheep.

Nothing to do with UEFA cup run imo.

Celtic's final year didn't involve anywhere near the same amount of fixture congestion, and they also got beaten by Inverness in the Scottish Cup quarter finals while we got to the final of both domestic cups.

The UEFA Cup was a distraction from the league especially with the way the fixtures panned out, that is beyond doubt for me.

Thats why we lost - those games were the first half o the season. those 9 points were vital to us. 2 OF games back to back at torbett towers too (both defeats) and then against the sheep.

And the other results... :rolleyes:

Motherwell 1-1 Rangers

Aberdeen 2-0 Rangers

Give us back those 5 points and we won the league, and those were right in the middle of when the backlog got really bad. You can point to several results at the end of the day.

Points were dropped earlier on in the season but we had a 7 point lead in April with a game in hand so we should have been able to see that out under normal circumstances. Back to back games at Parkhead weren't ideal but if you want to win a title then you need to be able to take points from your rivals ground.

And the other results... :rolleyes:

i dont understnad. Had we won those 3 games, that would have been 9 points, had we even won the home game and drew the other 2, that woul dhave been 5 points - STILL enough to win the league. You cant blame the UEFA cup run for us losing the league that year, thats a cop-out. You need to look at ALL the games.

We lost 6 games that season.

Defeats

Hearts 4-2 Rangers

Rangers 0-1 Hibernian

Dundee Utd 2-1 Rangers

Celtic 2-1 Rangers

Celtic 3-2 Rangers

Aberdeen 2-0 Rangers

DRAW

Motherwell 1-1 Rangers 27 sep

Aberdeen 1-1 Rangers - 23 dec

Dundee United 3-3 Rangers - april 6

Hibernian 0-0 Rangers - may 2

Motherwell 1-1 Rangers 17 may

Those in bold, were way before our epic run in the UEFA cup

Motherwell 1-1 Rangers

Aberdeen 2-0 Rangers

Give us back those 5 points and we won the league, and those were right in the middle of when the backlog got really bad. You can point to several results at the end of the day.

Points were dropped earlier on in the season but we had a 7 point lead in April with a game in hand so we should have been able to see that out under normal circumstances. Back to back games at Parkhead weren't ideal but if you want to win a title then you need to be able to take points from your rivals ground.

Yeah - but those games were DURING the backlog. At the start of the season, we had no backlog. We had a clear run, and we blew it. Thats why EVERY GAME is important to win

EDIT: the motherwell draw wasnt - should be extra 2 points there - but thers other games too.

I'm not trying to be an awkward cunt or anything, but I can pin-point the games that cost us the league - the Old Firm double header, Hibs away and Motherwell away.

I can remember those games quite well and I put it down to bad luck, rather than running on empty.

Sure didn't we come right back from the UEFA Cup final and trash St Mirren 3-4 nothing at Love Street going on 10 nothing? we didn't look tired in that game.

My point still stands that we had a 7 point lead with a game in hand in April. Under normal circumstances we'd see that out, most teams would.

I just don't think the UEFA Cup run was worth losing such an important title for, especially when we never even managed to win the final.

My point still stands that we had a 7 point lead with a game in hand in April. Under normal circumstances we'd see that out, most teams would.

I just don't think the UEFA Cup run was worth losing such an important title for, especially when we never even managed to win the final.

Motherwell beat Celtic at Parkhead and we went to Tannadice and drew but still extended our lead to 10 points. Just before we played the first of that Old Firm double header.

I just strongly feel that we had the ready made excuses there about our brave heroic players running on empty. I just don't buy it. Sorry.

We threw away a lead, not good enough!

Yeah. A 10 point cushion going into the last 9 games or something should have been enough to see us through even if we were suffering from tiredness.

If we just avoided defeat in one of them Parkhead games.

Even in the second one, the 3-2 defeat. We went 2-1 up and had them on the ropes, didn't finish them off and conceeded a stupid goal right before half time (the usual there) that's nothing to do with the UEFA Cup run. It's bad luck/sloppy play - or both.