Stabbings at QPR/Millwall

Goianegra

Derby rivals who had not faced one another for five years had forgotten how to engross but events off the pitch provided depressing drama.

Reports, as yet unconfirmed, that a pub in close proximity to Loftus Road was smashed up and two people suffered stab wounds blighted this fixture. At full-time Queens Park Rangers security staff claimed Millwall supporters threw missiles, including darts and coins, at home supporters and clashed with police outside the ground after the game.

Millwall supporters also attempted to barge their way up a stairwell leading to a stand housing QPR supporters. A Millwall spokesman refused to comment on the reports of the stabbings.

“The Millwall fans were throwing things at the QPR fans at the end. One fan apparently got a dart in the head. They were trying to kick the door in. I didn’t see them but you could hear them. You could hear them everywhere,” a member of QPR’s security said.

It was a miserable backdrop to a fixture that promised to enthral but ended up potentially damaging England’s 2018 World Cup bid, with Fifa executive committee members deciding its fate in December.

On the pitch thrills were scant but that will not perturb Queens Park Rangers, who still appear imposing at the head of the Championship with a six-point lead intact.

The contest did provide a canvass for Kyle Walker, on loan from Tottenham, to refine the art of attacking full-back play. He faded to the fringes in the second half, but in the first, he rampaged down the right. Inside two minutes his cross found Heidar Helguson, who nodded wide. Millwall detailed Scott Barron to charge back and aid Tony Craig in stifling Walker but the objective was riddled with difficulties.

With half time approaching, the youngster zipped in between them with the lucidity of a top flight winger and found Jamie Mackie, whose effort was blocked by David Forde.

Millwall have suffered demoralisation this season and faced opponents who have negotiated obstacles through flamboyance, tenacity or sheer sturdiness. QPR boast quite an array of characteristics but they were blunted by Millwall vigorousness, although Clint Hill woefully headed Adel Taarabt’s corner over.

The visitors kept their shape but were not merely containers, springing forward on the break. Paddy Kenny pushed away Steve Morison’s effort. They defended frantically at times but Millwall’s heroics were overshadowed by all-too familiar tribulations.

FFS :anguish:

A lot of Millwall's support are nothing but animals, they cause trouble wherever they go...but hey at least they didn't sing the Billy Boys.

makes you wonder does it not, I got charged last night for sectarian breach of the peace because a said "F*nian blood" and football violence and stabbings are happening at other games in the UK. saying that I must be some sort of animal because the copper last night asked me if I knew anything about football hoolaginism <cr> a sang a song FFS not running about stabbing people like this game or the "best fans in the world"